Sponsored by:

Baby seats

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2014, 09:33 PM
Mustoe91
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Baby seats

I'm expecting a child in the next few months and the decision has fallen on me to decide on a child seat just wondering what you could recommend ?

Cheers Sam
Old 26 February 2014, 09:58 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recaro baby seat??
Old 26 February 2014, 10:12 PM
EssexJamie
Scooby Regular

I've always used Recaros baby seats from newborn to toddler!
Ones I've used
Recaro Young Profi Plus for Newborn
Recaro Young Expert Plus for Toddler
Then I will be getting the
Recaro Milano for next stage!

My wife always has had Maxi-Cosi in her car easy to use as well and look good, but not as nice as Recaro
Old 26 February 2014, 10:16 PM
Mustoe91
Scooby Regular

I've been looking at the recaros and I do really like them just wondering if there was a better seat on the market ?
Old 26 February 2014, 10:18 PM
RRP1STI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

We have 2 x Recaro Young Expert Plus,we have found them excellent-quite heavy but very well made,we did look at a lot when we were buying and these got good reviews from users,the cheaper version,I think called Young Expert seemed a lot more flimsy
Old 26 February 2014, 10:19 PM
Oranges
Scooby Regular

You might want to look at complete systems rather than just a stand alone seat, consider the pram, pushchair etc. some have lift out seats which are then clipped into a base that stays in the car, way easier than taking the baby out of a seat and putting in pram etc. Get down to mothercare and get them to test fit them all..

Oh I have a Recaro one too
Old 26 February 2014, 10:27 PM
Mustoe91
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the messages I was swinging towards a Recaro seat anyway now you lot have pretty much made my mind up

Not allowed to buy anymore "car bits" until I've sourced a seat lol
Old 26 February 2014, 10:54 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

If you have isofix in your car look at that style of seat, much more secure. We started off with a maxicosi pebble which is a carry cot, our little girl is getting too big to fit it, so we have replaced it with a britax seat which is pretty big but looks like it give her a lot of protection.

Last edited by ronjeramy; 26 February 2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 27 February 2014, 08:10 AM
stressballsteve
Scooby Regular

the recaros don't offer much head protection in the event of a side impact. I'd recommend the maxi cosi range, 3 kids all been in them and all still alive :-) If you can, find a good retailer, ask them for advice and most importantly, test fit the seats in your car...it doesn't matter how nice it looks if it doesn't fit securely.
Old 27 February 2014, 08:51 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Maxi Cosi. Always come top in tests for both safety and comfort.

Also check it's compatible with whatever buggy you're buying. It's a very useful thing to lift a sleeping baby out of the car whilst still in the seat, clip it into the buggy chassis, and wander off round the shops or whatever you're doing whilst little one is still asleep. The will wake if you try to lift them out of the car seat and into something else
Old 27 February 2014, 09:45 AM
N_Scooby
Scooby Regular

We used a Graco rear facing clip out seat with carry handle that was part of a pram system. My lad used to fall asleep in the car so it was very easy to shift him back into the house when we got home. They say they should not sleep more than 4 hours in one of these seats (recommendations may have changed now) but not many babies sleep for 4 hours straight anyway!

We bought extra base sections so these could be fitted into each car and left fitted. Cost a few quid but saves buggering about each time, I have 2 x cars, my Mrs car and the Mother-in-laws car. You only have to fit it once properly and check it every now and again. You do not want to be fitting and re-fitting seats constantly as they are fiddly and you want to do it right. You will find that you are late for everyone once you have a baby and you do not want to be doing it in a rush. Babies always park their lunch just as you are about to leave the house!

You want to leave them in the rear facing seat as long as possible as it is the safest option. When my lad got too big for his I then bought a Recaro Young Sport, which I highly recommend. Plenty of head support and grows with the child. They look cool as well - I have black and blue to match my Sonic Blue RA Ltd.

Good luck with your expectant arrival, I have the 2nd due at the end of July. Hopefully the 2nd should be easier (and cheaper!) as we know a hell of a lot more now than we did with the first and we have most of the stuff still.
Old 27 February 2014, 09:55 AM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

Maxi-Cosi all the way, used the Cabrio fix and now got the ifit - can keep the child rear facing if wanted with it which reduces the risk of injury to the neck until their little bodies catch up with their heads they get a good view out of the back window too.
Old 27 February 2014, 10:12 AM
chet123
Scooby Regular

we have a maxi-cosi pebble (new born) with the iso fix base. after baby reaches something like over 11-15lbs you can get a maxi-cosi pearl which also utilises the iso fix base.
As our eldest is now 2 and a half years old now we have bought the maxi-cosi axiss which is swivel car seat but doesn't have an iso fix base but has its on built in base secured by seatbelt.

Choice is yours, best get into a store and speak to an adviser. This is the just a small cost of what still has to come, and congrats btw
Old 27 February 2014, 10:14 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I have 2 Recaro Expert Plus.

Good seat but the straps aren't the best - they tangle/twist easily.

I have been given a Maxi Cosi and its strap covers kind of hold the straps outwards which makes it easier to get the childs arms round the straps.
Old 27 February 2014, 01:51 PM
warrtster
Scooby Regular

We've gone from Maxi-Cosi cabriofix to Axiss and now Rodifix.

I'll be buying a second Rodifix when our youngest is big enough for the seat.
Old 27 February 2014, 02:05 PM
reef67
Scooby Regular

Recaro Youngsport; loads of support and head protection, can be reconfigured as they grow and can be used from a few months old 'til around 11!!!...and you chuck the covers in the washing machine when they're covered in snot and/or puke.

We've got a pair of them and they've been great, kids are now 5 and 7, never had a complaint...it doesn't harm that they look way cool too...