Newage Unusual leak, Help.

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2014, 07:25 PM
Scoobyfan2012
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newage Unusual leak, Help.

Hello guys & gals,

An updated thread with new pictures as my leak saga continues.

Above in picture (A) you can see what appears to be a leaking boot seal, I initially used mastic to make my seal watertight and after that didn't work I invested in a brand new seal from Subaru.

When the new seal didn't fix my problem I climbed into the boot and looked directly up (where the top of the rear quarter meets the edge of the boot) to find the water was actually running down from the other side, you can see the crease on which the water runs along before coming down into the boot in picture (B) above.

Its not clear to see in this picture (C) but there is water all the way along the vertical crease as well as to the left of the circular eyelet where you can see that line of brown water stain, This is not condensation I can dry the crease and hose the car down making the crease instantly wet again.

In this picture (D) you can clearly see the water from this angle on the creases either side of the circular eyelet, The black bit of foam (start of the C pillar) you can see on the left leads to inside the cabin next to the parcel shelf and the foam itself is dry, the 15mm metal ridge underneath the black foam is the edge of where the rear window is bonded to the car.
Because the water is above that circular eyelet (on the right of picture D above) I think if the rear window was leaking it would have to be putting the water above these layers of metal allowing the water to then seep through them as there is no direct line for water to run from the C pillar to that high point.

High resolution closeup (E), Wet to the right but seems dry on the left where the C pillar goes up.

I have stripped the interior and there is no visible moisture along the edge of the glass, black foam stops me from being able to see the actual bond. (F)

And finally a view from above/outside looking down at the leaking area, I noticed there is some strange white stuff (present on the passenger side as well) which could either be some sort of corrosion or old body sealant.
Is it possible the water could be seeping through this metal?
I do not have any body structure schematics but I was wondering if underneath where the glass overhangs there could be an entry point?
Sorry for the long post but this is driving me mad and I would be pretty frustrated if I have the rear window re-sealed and it doesn't fix the leak.
Thankyou for taking the time to help, Any advice is greatly appreciated, Kind regards
David.
Old 06 February 2014, 12:17 AM
lofty35
Scooby Regular

I have a boot leak aswell mate in my 2001 bugeye.
Not got a clue were mines coming from now i re sealed the boot and rear lights yet its still dripping onto my spare wheel area.
Will have another look when it stops raining some day.
Old 06 February 2014, 12:26 AM
swaynie
Scooby Regular

Looks like a failed seal around the rear window
Old 06 February 2014, 08:19 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd have the screen out then give the area a good clean and seal it all back up in any of the suspect areas, think no matter how you slice it it's a screen out job if only to get a proper look at it.
Old 06 February 2014, 08:31 AM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

How garages do it to find where it's leaking is to put someone in the boot with a torch and use a hosepipe on it till your assistant finds the leak.

I've done this a few times and it's the only sure way to find it.
Old 06 February 2014, 11:48 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You could try Carafax all along that crease inside, and outside, pushed well in. Clean up too much excess with white spirit, then cover inside with black Duct tape to keep things off the Carafax.

Might do it. If not, it's screen out as above.
Old 06 February 2014, 12:30 PM
Scoobyfan2012
Scooby Regular

Heya Alc, you do love your carafax

Main dealer said they think its that sealant just where the rear window finishes thats letting water seep through the panel join.

As the window is in the way I think my next step is to have the window removed then I can use seam sealer in that corner and have the window replaced covering both possibilities.

If anyone is willing to post pictures of that corner on their blobeyes I would be interested to know if everyones sealant looks as shabby as mine does.

Thanks. D
Old 06 February 2014, 04:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I should be a Carafax dealer.......