Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

DCCD Controller question

Old 26 September 2013, 04:40 PM
subinewbi
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DCCD Controller question

I am new here so please be patient with me if I ask dumb questions.
I am planning to put in a 6 speed transmission with DCCD in my
Legacy. My mechanic is telling me I need a DCCD controller box for that.
What is available out there? Should I buy a second hand stock or
just go with an aftermarket as my mechanic is recommending?
Any suggestion, guidance is appreciated.
Old 26 September 2013, 04:54 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Aftermarket is the only way to go really simply for ease of wiring it all in. I have DCCD in my BG5 legacy and am really impressed with the difference it makes.

You have options!

I went for the DCCDPro controller. This has a g sensor to control the thing in automode alongsside the tps sensor. It also hooks into the handbrake switch .... other than that its pretty standalone. As the standard system, you can put it into manual and keep the diff in one setting rather than having it react to what the cars doing dynamically.

There are other controllers out there, such as neetronics ..... but i know very little about thatun.

The new kid on the block is the MAPDCCD box, which is apparently alot more customisable, however ive heard nowt about it other than the features list from the guy selling them. Might be worth a look. http://www.mapdccd.com/
Old 27 September 2013, 03:40 PM
subinewbi
Scooby Newbie

Thanks legacy_gtb,
That is what my mechanic says.I looked the map one up and I see that it does not seem suitable for a swap where we don't have the loom and the connectors readily available. I also read in one of the other forums that dccdpro one in auto can handle different road situation with out need to change maps.
Anyhow it seems my mechanic is much more comfortable with the dccdpro
as they have been around for some time and he finds it easy to install.
I can't find much on the others. They don't release much on price or installation!
Do you have the USB Tuning on yours? Seems there is some customization that can be done! I'll try to contact them and see what they say.
Thanks again for the information.
Old 27 September 2013, 05:37 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 6 speed dccd box in mine (P1) but it uses the oem 5 speed dccd ecu which was added when I originally had a 5 speed dccd box put in. My 6 speed is the earlier pre dccd-a box so it all works fine.

It hooks up to the handbrake (light switch) so the box goes open if you lift the handbrake enough to turn the light on, but it doesn't have all the other yaw stuff.
Old 27 September 2013, 06:19 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Thats why I think the aftermarket controllers are money well spent fatboy. They end up being much more comprehensive control with very little wiring and faff.
Old 27 September 2013, 07:38 PM
STI5300
Scooby Regular

Same here I went for the DCCD Pro, top quality bit of kit and the set up transformed the car.
Old 29 September 2013, 08:16 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by legacy_gtb
Aftermarket is the only way to go really simply for ease of wiring it all in. I have DCCD in my BG5 legacy and am really impressed with the difference it makes.

You have options!

I went for the DCCDPro controller. This has a g sensor to control the thing in automode alongsside the tps sensor. It also hooks into the handbrake switch .... other than that its pretty standalone. As the standard system, you can put it into manual and keep the diff in one setting rather than having it react to what the cars doing dynamically.

There are other controllers out there, such as neetronics ..... but i know very little about thatun.

The new kid on the block is the MAPDCCD box, which is apparently alot more customisable, however ive heard nowt about it other than the features list from the guy selling them. Might be worth a look. http://www.mapdccd.com/
I have just taken delivery of a MAPDCCD unit, not fitted yet but so far I have been very impressed with the service and help from Mat, he also asked me what pre set maps I would like pre loaded, so I have 2 circuit maps (one understeer and one oversteer focused, drag and snow) and I like the way you can plug it into the laptop for tweaking too.

So far so good, a really well made unit and very reasonably priced compared to other aftermarket options, just cant wait for my car to be running so I can try it out!

Cant wait for it to be installed!
Old 30 September 2013, 03:01 PM
subinewbi
Scooby Newbie

OK, being cautious, I wanted to here about this dccdpro myself so called them up and talked to a guy on the phone and he took his time (not something you see often these days) to explain to me some technical features and installation steps.
One thing I took away from it all was that where the G-Sensor is installed is important and the closer it is to the weight center the better G-sensors in general can sense traction (something to do with the physics of it all). The guy recommended somewhere close to the hand brake base. Did you guys do this and how hard was it?
Old 30 September 2013, 03:34 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Yes, the g sensor isnt big and easily bonds straight down onto the tunnel under the centre console. Measure half way along the wheelbase and aim for that.
Old 30 September 2013, 09:35 PM
subinewbi
Scooby Newbie

Yes, the g sensor isnt big and easily bonds straight down onto the tunnel under the centre console. Measure half way along the wheelbase and aim for that.
Thanks for the quick reply. I will then go ahead and order from dccdpro.
I will report back on my findings after installation. I am excited to see how it can handle different road conditions with no need to change maps!
Old 02 October 2013, 11:44 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thats why I think the aftermarket controllers are money well spent fatboy. They end up being much more comprehensive control with very little wiring and faff.
Fair enough - having said that my dccd spends 99% of the time fully unlocked anyway so it's pretty moot to me.
Old 09 October 2013, 04:12 PM
subinewbi
Scooby Newbie

Default Installing dccdpro controller

I received my DCCD controller from the dccdpro guys today. I am excited as I have decided to go ahead and install it myself. I read the installation manual on the weekend and from what I read and researched it is relatively easy install. I see all the cables and sensors are attached so I just need to tap into basically 4 points and I am all set! Appreciate any heads up though. I know I might make mistakes along the way but hoping they would minimal with help from this forum.
Old 12 October 2013, 05:43 PM
subinewbi
Scooby Newbie

Installation went smooth (couple of hours worth) and Wow! what a difference. I am so glad I did this and thanks to legacy_gtb for the guidance. I think the dccd pro is worth it. Just did some testing on a quiet road close to home and it really responded great. Handling on the corners is so much better. Anyhow I will report back on different road conditions to see if it truly can handle all conditions as well with no maps.
Old 15 October 2013, 08:58 PM
subinewbi
Scooby Newbie

Default DCCD on wet road

Reporting back guys. Had some rain here in Richmond (NE Sydney) yesterday and I had a chance to drive on a wet road with dccdpro. did not touch the settings. Solid as a dry pavement. So far so good!

Last edited by subinewbi; 15 October 2013 at 09:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 22 November 2013, 09:03 PM
subinewbi
Scooby Newbie

Well we had a good soak the past few days and had to drive in heavy rain and mud.
Traction with DCCD was very solid and did not have to change the settings on the
dccdpro. At this point I think I made a great investment in swapping my diff and installing the controller.Over and out.
Old 23 November 2013, 10:04 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Which controller did you purchase (universal or manual)?

Last edited by myblackwrx; 23 November 2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05 December 2013, 05:35 PM
subinewbi
Scooby Newbie

I bought the Universal and it is great. Left it in auto mode and it just works.
I think everyone who has a manual (non auto) should switch to this.