Sponsored by:

330S - spec/opinions please!

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2014, 06:53 PM
Adma-RA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 330S - spec/opinions please!

So what's in a 330S over a standard UK STI? My mum's after a hatch STI and isn't sure wether to go for a 330S or not, the extra power isn't the attraction more the fact that used ones tend to be on lower miles and newer.

Also, anything to look out for particular to these? I've got/have had a fair few Impreza's from classic to MY03 STI but never dealt with anything newer than that.

Thanks in advance! Adam.
Old 29 January 2014, 06:55 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Does your Mum have a spare £3K set aside in case the engine ***** itself? See engine failure thread at top of the General forum for details. Best to try and find one already fettled or risk a nice big bill!
Old 29 January 2014, 06:58 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Adma-RA
So what's in a 330S over a standard UK STI? My mum's after a hatch STI and isn't sure wether to go for a 330S or not, the extra power isn't the attraction more the fact that used ones tend to be on lower miles and newer.

Also, anything to look out for particular to these? I've got/have had a fair few Impreza's from classic to MY03 STI but never dealt with anything newer than that.

Thanks in advance! Adam.
An expensive ECU tweak in essence and the possibility of a sick engine.
Old 29 January 2014, 07:45 PM
abre
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here we go... Mention a hatch and the 2.5 nay sayers come out to play...

I think you'll find the 330 got a Sat Nav, a new exhaust rear section and the ECU performance upgrade, some were delivered new from IM with the upgrade, some were dealer fit. There were minor interior trim changes and different seats between the MY08 & MY11 and the latter got a new front bumper. If I'm wrong I'm sure I'll be corrected by someone.

As for the engine, there is a chance that a 2.5 might go bang, but there are plenty of contributing factors that could be taken in to account. That said there are plenty of us who have not experienced ringland failure and to be honest as a daily drive the engine is a gem.

One line of thought is that the base 295bhp map is to blame because of the attempt to meet emissions requirements and that the 320, 330, 340 maps are safer, but there's no proof either way. For myself I'm going to get mine upgraded to 320 because it's supposed to have a bit more low down torque and improve the mpg, like that really matters!

If you want, read the thread here
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-failures.html
Just remember you'll always hear the horror stories over the good news. I read the full thread before I bought mine, it didn't stop me. I've even had an over enthusiastic dealer service department try to tell me they suspected the ringland issue on mine after 9 months of ownership... 1 week later they gave it a clean bill of health, but then it wasn't exhibiting any of the known signs either and 7 months on its still running as sweet as a nut.

As for things to look out for, there have been odd reports of rust on some panel edges, but not sure that's a issue with the car or just bad luck.
Old 29 January 2014, 08:00 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by abre
Here we go... Mention a hatch and the 2.5 nay sayers come out to play...
With all due respect it's not about being a naysayer it's about common sense.

Unless the lad's Mum is a petrolhead and enthusiast with money to burn I doubt she will want a car that IS statistically more likely to go bang engine wise than most other cars and could leave her with an additional bill for £3K+ that adds nothing to the car's financial value in real terms.

While your car may have been fine so far there are many that haven't been as said thread illustrates. It's not exactly a small percentage either so not just a case of only hearing the horror stories. The sales figures for the hatch STIs in the UK are very very low so the number of failures is actually statistically quite high!

I get sick of people on here glossing over the engine issue (like it doesn't exist or is a minor inconvenience) whenever someone asks about buying a hatch STI. It's not fair to not inform people of the potentiial (expensive) pitfalls of purchaisng this type of vehicle and then they can make up their own mind as to whether to buy one or not!
Old 29 January 2014, 08:04 PM
Adma-RA
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies so quickly, I've just read the last 10 pages of the 2.5 failure thread but I was already aware of them not being the strongest (and Subaru not being the quickest to rectify problems!).

Has anyone recently had forged pistons supplied + fitted to a 2.5 and mapped to suit that would be willing to tell me the cost (by PM would be fine)?
Old 29 January 2014, 08:10 PM
Adma-RA
Scooby Regular

Bit of background to make my mum not seem (quite so) mad - she's always wanted a new Impreza, but doesn't like the saloons and isn't keen to wait for the upcoming model STI, so is looking for the nicest hatch on the sensible side of a CS400. I think the fact that her son (me) having a V3 Type-R and a V6 STi-RA has pushed her to finally get one!
Old 29 January 2014, 08:11 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Bit of background to make my mum not seem (quite so) mad - she's always wanted a new Impreza, but doesn't like the saloons and isn't keen to wait for the upcoming model STI, so is looking for the nicest hatch on the sensible side of a CS400. I think the fact that her son (me) having a V3 Type-R and a V6 STi-RA has pushed her to finally get one!
If it was me I would help her find one that has already been forged. She will then have the car she wants with the peace of mind over the engine!
Old 29 January 2014, 08:22 PM
Adma-RA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
If it was me I would help her find one that has already been forged. She will then have the car she wants with the peace of mind over the engine!
That would be the ideal scenario but finding one with low mileage, otherwise unmodified, and with the work done by someone reputable is proving a bit difficult!
Old 29 January 2014, 08:54 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

That would be the ideal scenario but finding one with low mileage, otherwise unmodified, and with the work done by someone reputable is proving a bit difficult!
In that case I woudl contact David at API or Alan Jeffrey on here and ask them what forging the engine and making it properly reliable costs. At least then you know what you're looking at!
Old 29 January 2014, 08:55 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

avoid a non forged 2.5 or be prepared for a 3k bill. if this is acceptable the rest of the car is fine mechanically but looks like ****
Old 29 January 2014, 09:55 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

How about a forged silver Hawkeye Spec D STi with much goodness including Bilsteins and leather etc?
Old 29 January 2014, 10:06 PM
chris_wrx
Scooby Regular

Scoobynet faithful never seem to fail to slate the 2.5 i have a white 330s yes the 330s map leans the fueling and can cause ringland issue but most should of had the ecu reflashed at any subaru dealer and the 2.5 is much torqueier engine as a daily driver a better car than most before it more toys nice place to be (std hawk gets tape deck and fat boy seats in 2007) I have had no problems with mine and im not light footed

330s came with recaro seats push button start 18 inch 5 spoke wheels and navigation but with a standard bumper and grill its also more insurance friendly than a sti with ppp as it was done at IM so classes as a model in its own right not a car with mods

FLAME SUIT ON
Old 29 January 2014, 11:17 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

330s over standard HAS...

keyless entry
push button start
Prodrive Stainless Steel back box with 3.5" tails (x4)
Rear tints
SatNav/DVD system
18" alloys
better Recaro front seats
heater wiper blade front screen
power goes to 325 bhp with 347 lb of torque
and a nice 330s badge on the rear

Really pleased with mine

also straight forward to insure over a PPP's car as the STI and the 330s are listed as OE cars.

BTW, the STI front lip spoiler and the Fog lights + the rear exhaust trims were not standard to the 330s.. they were dealer optional extras.

Last edited by salsa-king; 29 January 2014 at 11:23 PM. Reason: saw the above post says what I've just said, sorry
Old 30 January 2014, 10:06 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks in advance! Adam.
One of my customers is just about to sell his 2.5 hatch that we are building the engine for right now to proper spec. It will be available with a new unbreakable APi built engine in about a week.

He posts on here as JBUK I think. but you'll find his thread quite easily.

Ask him. That'll be the one to buy.

David APi
Old 30 January 2014, 11:48 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
One of my customers is just about to sell his 2.5 hatch that we are building the engine for right now to proper spec. It will be available with a new unbreakable APi built engine in about a week.

He posts on here as JBUK I think. but you'll find his thread quite easily.

Ask him. That'll be the one to buy.

David APi
And hows that for a turn up.

He's kind of looking for a 330S, you've kind of got a working one.

Job's a good un.

And the 330S is the car to have over the normal STI.
Lovely supportive seats, and that very handy feature called keyless.
Old 30 January 2014, 11:55 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

Originally Posted by urban
And hows that for a turn up.

He's kind of looking for a 330S, you've kind of got a working one.

Job's a good un.

And the 330S is the car to have over the normal STI.
Lovely supportive seats, and that very handy feature called keyless.
Not sure this car is a 330 S, we have about 4 or 5 hatches here at the moment, can't even remember which one it is.

Just checked - it is a 10 plate STi 330s.

David
Old 30 January 2014, 12:22 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

He referred to it as a 330S in the thread for 'busted' 2.5's
Old 30 January 2014, 01:53 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by urban

He referred to it as a 330S in the thread for 'busted' 2.5's
Yeah! What do I know? , I'm just a tame fool wandering the world, wondering what f*ck is going on most of the time....
Old 30 January 2014, 03:03 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

4 or 5 hatches eh David, I hope you sent Subaru a thank card for all that business
Old 30 January 2014, 05:09 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by salsa-king
330s over standard HAS...

keyless entry
push button start
Prodrive Stainless Steel back box with 3.5" tails (x4)
Rear tints
SatNav/DVD system
18" alloys
better Recaro front seats
heater wiper blade front screen
power goes to 325 bhp with 347 lb of torque
and a nice 330s badge on the rear

Really pleased with mine

also straight forward to insure over a PPP's car as the STI and the 330s are listed as OE cars.

BTW, the STI front lip spoiler and the Fog lights + the rear exhaust trims were not standard to the 330s.. they were dealer optional extras.
Seen this in the flesh and it is really nice Andy
Old 30 January 2014, 08:07 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

when I bought mine the cost of a 330s over a STi of the same age and milage was about 3-4k, depending who was selling (dealer prices).
I added up the cost of the extra and the cost of the 330s was better value than buying the std STi and adding all the bits to it.

They say.. the SatNav/DVD stereo is a £2k system if you wanted to buy it.... I have no idea why though lol
Seats... god only knows the cost.
Keyless + Pushbutton... pricesless to me