Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

classic sti wagon, rebuild or not???

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2014, 06:27 PM
scoobyman1984
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default classic sti wagon, rebuild or not???

ok guys, im after some advice reference the above.

i have a genuine version 1 sti wagon, which i have owned for nearly 10 years, started out completely standard and got modded up to around them 320bhp mark around 2 years ago.

car was immaculate in every way, and had a fortune spent on it to the tune of 17k including mods and servicing, mapping etc etc.

around 2 years ago, i lost my job and tucked her up in the garage in the hope that i would be able to bring her back out when financially times were better, however, things went from bad to worse and needed to free up some cash for the important stuff like mortgage and bills, so had to make the decision to split the car for the all the parts that were worth good money in order to pay the aforementioned bills.

basically i sold the engine, front mount intercooler, simtek ecu, air filter, dump valve, tein struts, brembos calipers, whiteline rear anti roll bar, wheels and some other little bits.

the car currently sits on axle stands in the garage and has done ever since, i am now back in work but not on as much money as i was, and everytime i go in the garage, it breaks my heart to see it there in that state.

in the removal of the engine, i had an accident and the car dropped off the axle stand and on to the trolley jack at the back and has dented the wheel well, but nothing else.

my question is, do i rebuild or cut my losses and get rid, if i decide to get rid, whats the remaining car worth, and if i decide to go ahead and rebuild, will the damage to the wheel well cause any major issues.

if i did decide to keep and rebuild, i would never get rid of her, so it would be financially ok for me to go that route as would never lose the money i put in to her.

looking for advice and opinion from those who hold these cars dear to their heart themselves as to what they think i should do.

i'm guessing that in 20 years time the cars are going to be approaching the sort of figures and rarity that old ford rs cars are now, so would be nice to have that bit of history in the garage.

any help or advice appreciated, and if anyone has any spare parts for free, that would be even better lol.
Old 23 January 2014, 06:49 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've a similar dilemma over whether my V3 STi wagon is worth keeping tucked away as a future classic or whether to stick it back on the road and use it/sell it?

Owned it 14 years this year and it's been garaged since 2006, I've been telling myself it's not special enough to keep it tucked away, but now having second thoughts. I should've learned my lesson after selling a 1980 mk2 rs2000 I owned - if only I'd kept that...

Be interesting to hear others views on this.

[/URL]
Old 23 January 2014, 06:52 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Got your pm

Personally as much as I loved the wagon I decided I wanted to cash out into something 'better'. I broke the wagon and sold the WRX. Combined I had enough to buy an S202 I then bought the WRX back because I missed it lol

Bought it back again

Was a shame to break the 555 but felt good getting paid out Not much left

Value wise I wouldn't get hung up on what happened to other marques. It was a lovely wagon from what I remember and if it's still in one piece regards interior and exterior I would probably put it back together again I couldn't cope without having a blast in my V2, even though the S202 is superior the V2 is special in how it drives and feeds back. I always thought my wagon handled better than all the scoobs I've had, so if it's salvageable then I'd say rebuild it

This is my mates red wagon and I really miss mine when I see his.

Last edited by 53; 23 January 2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 23 January 2014, 08:18 PM
scoobyman1984
Scooby Regular

thanks guys, Stu, you shouldnt have posted your mates wagon up, thats just made me even more sad that mine is on axle stands!!! lol

seeing whats left of your wagon also fuels my intention to rebuild mine, i could just not cope with seeing mine in that state, it would break my heart.

mine was the cleanest early car i have ever seen, so really want to get it back to that position.

yeh, the car is in one piece internally and externally completely, just engine, ecu, and the other bits mentioned that need to be re-sourced and fitted.

whats peoples take on the damage to the wheel well?? would that affect it's future value??
Old 23 January 2014, 08:27 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

finding a decent genuine sti engine of the same era is not going to be easy.
Old 23 January 2014, 08:31 PM
scoobyman1984
Scooby Regular

thats one major issue andy, i was considering putting the whole car back together and then looking at putting a 2.1 engine tuner in it on a simtek or similar, but not sure at the minute, as you can probably tell, i just wanted validation of my own thoughts to put it back together and my mind is made up pretty much.
Old 23 January 2014, 09:59 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you have a classic icon you just have to keep it
Even if it takes years to finish

Classics are for life
Wagons are even better
This year I have budgeted 3k to spend on a car worth under 2k that will Do few hundred miles only
Madness but is it ??
Old 24 January 2014, 06:35 AM
katana man
Scooby Regular

i would personally build it, i have been building mine for the past 9 month after being off the road for two year
Old 24 January 2014, 09:08 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Skoobie Dhu
I've a similar dilemma over whether my V3 STi wagon is worth keeping tucked away as a future classic or whether to stick it back on the road and use it/sell it?

Owned it 14 years this year and it's been garaged since 2006, I've been telling myself it's not special enough to keep it tucked away, but now having second thoughts. I should've learned my lesson after selling a 1980 mk2 rs2000 I owned - if only I'd kept that...

Be interesting to hear others views on this.

[/URL]

Do you even need to ask! How could you consider selling after 14 years! You would regret it big time. Decent classic's are few and far between, decent classic Sti's even more so, decent classic Sti wagons.. Don't do it.

I would love decent a V6 Sti wagon. I looked for years for a nice one and ended up with a bugeye Sti wagon which I had to sell when I was out of work. I still just kept hold of my UK turbo wagon (which is a lovely example) and recently bought a V6 Sti saloon which was to replace it. Trouble is, I don't think I could live without the wagon.

Case in point, needed a new washing machine Sunday, hop in my wagon, job done. Try doing that in my saloon! So many times I've used the wagon's main feature.

My saloon is very nice and rare in condition but I reeeeally need a wagon.