Sponsored by:

Warm up procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2014, 07:55 PM
Ben Stearn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warm up procedure?

Hi, I was just wondering how long people give it from staring the engine from cold to pulling away.
My usual drill is to start the car, roll a roll up(disgusting habit, I know) to pass the time and wait until the Temp needle starts to move. I then drive without going above 2000 rpm until the needle has passed the quarter marker and then I drive the normal way again.
It is usually about 3-5 minutes before I even touch the accelerator. It gets a bit tedious now and then and I am very tempted by a remote start but don't wanna spend the money.

So, how long do you leave it?

Last edited by Ben Stearn; 21 January 2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 21 January 2014, 07:57 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get in it and drive, not on boost until oil is up to temp
Old 21 January 2014, 07:59 PM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

I usually let it idle open garage move it out, close and drive better to warm gearbox and diffs up etc before rugging her ragged
Old 21 January 2014, 08:00 PM
Ben Stearn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
get in it and drive, not on boost until oil is up to temp
I need to get myself a few gauges so I can keep a eye on the oil temp and boost. I probably wouldn't be hanging around for so long then. Better to be safe than sorry I suppose
Old 21 January 2014, 08:09 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Start, wait 30s and drive off boost and no more than 2-3k rpm until the engine has warmed up (at least 10 minutes), then gradually increase revs up to 4k if needs be.

You do more harm than good sitting in a stationary car letting it idle, besides as others have said it is transmission fluids that need to warm up as well.

Last edited by fpan; 21 January 2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 21 January 2014, 08:16 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

you are best off letting it find its feet for 10seconds and then pulling away, than letting it idle for minutes, it is better for the car. but drive really slowly with lots of mechanical sympathy untill the oil temps creep up to a working temp.

Also get an oil pressure guage. It can be scary how long it takes from a cold start to get pressure when you can see it!

I pre pressure the oil system before starting. But I have big power forged engines in mine. So might be a bit over the top for a daily driver.
Old 21 January 2014, 08:18 PM
deanb1980
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve's Sti
I usually let it idle open garage move it out, close and drive better to warm gearbox and diffs up etc before rugging her ragged
this is my procedure and seems to be working fine for me but i dont drive mine hard even when its well warmed up
Old 21 January 2014, 08:21 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

start car, drive off. leaving it to warm up is doing more harm than good.
Old 21 January 2014, 08:25 PM
marco58
Scooby Regular

Open gates get in and drive,warm up procedure whats that
Old 21 January 2014, 08:28 PM
paul98typer
Scooby Regular

undo steering lock, start her up then once steering lock is stored away drive off. keeping an eye on oil temp gauge before giving it any beans
Old 21 January 2014, 08:29 PM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I get in, Start the car then put my seat belt on. Clip Phone in and connect lead then drive off. 20 second tops maybe. Rev limits are irrelevant too, just stay off boost.

I have an oil pressure gauge and get 95-100psi instantly. Then again I use 0W50 Fully Synthetic oil so I should.

I do remember watching a friend start his 1.0l Fiesta ohv engine many years ago with the rocker cover off. It took 30 seconds before there was any sign of a trickle of brown sludge over the rockers......

Your Tyres, brakes and diffs need to warm up just as much as the engine. Driving off right away gives the whole car a chance to warm together, which can only be good mechanically.

Once I see oil temp after maybe 5 mins, I'm good to go. Water takes a little less time.

My previous toy had limits of -40 to +80 degrees for oil. The oil cooler was bigger than the Scooby's Intercooler and used fuel to cool the oil/heat the fuel then a secondary air vent for further cooling. We could set take off power with temps above 0' That's 4,500shaft horsepower and the oil was fine.
Old 21 January 2014, 08:58 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

No you're all doing it wrong.

Get in drive straight away and redline it and keep it in same gear till the limiter kicks in and it's warm then. If anything flys out of exhaust, don't worry it's just all the dust and crap that was sleeping in it night before.

Happy to help.
Old 21 January 2014, 09:08 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

This subject has come up a few time.Where did the idea come from that Subaru engines are made from antique fragile glass?

What a load of nonsense.It's just an engine.Same as any other car.Please tell me if you have definitive information why a Subaru engine should be treated differently from any other engine.
Turn it on and drive it carefully until up to temp. Same as I have done with every other car I have owned.
Old 21 January 2014, 11:06 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
This subject has come up a few time.Where did the idea come from that Subaru engines are made from antique fragile glass?

What a load of nonsense.It's just an engine.Same as any other car.Please tell me if you have definitive information why a Subaru engine should be treated differently from any other engine.
Turn it on and drive it carefully until up to temp. Same as I have done with every other car I have owned.
I agree, mine gets no special treatment. Do a oil change, pre-fill filter pour in oil and start up no disconnecting cam/crank sensor.
I think the main concern is that the main and big end bearings are not as wide as on a straight engine.
Old 21 January 2014, 11:12 PM
Ben Stearn
Scooby Regular

I only asked as I'm new to impreza. From now on I'll be getting in, starting up, rolling the roll up and then driving off, taking it easy for the first 5 minutes or so. If you don't ask, you don't learn. Cheers fellas.
Old 21 January 2014, 11:19 PM
EssexJamie
Scooby Regular

Get in, start car, put seat belt on drive off.

Keep it under 2k revs for about 5 mins!
Old 21 January 2014, 11:30 PM
DieHardDonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ben Stearn
Hi, I was just wondering how long people give it from staring the engine from cold to pulling away.
My usual drill is to start the car, roll a roll up(disgusting habit, I know) to pass the time and wait until the Temp needle starts to move. I then drive without going above 2000 rpm until the needle has passed the quarter marker and then I drive the normal way again.
It is usually about 3-5 minutes before I even touch the accelerator. It gets a bit tedious now and then and I am very tempted by a remote start but don't wanna spend the money.

So, how long do you leave it?
fire it up, de-ice (atm), heater on full, roll ***, wait untill the temp guage reads just off the bottom mark and take it easy for a mile or so. tho mine has been round the world and back so dont wanna kill the old girl by being impatient.
Old 22 January 2014, 09:13 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Too many people think they have an F1 engine round here.
Get in and drive with sympathy until the oil is up to temp then let it go.
Let's have a conversation about Turbo timers next and the ridiculous rules of use surrounding them
Old 22 January 2014, 09:42 AM
chet123
Scooby Regular

On cold days such as this and especially if the car hasnt been driven the day before or sometimes even a week I start her up and let it idle for at least 5 mins. If i dont and start the car and start driving as soon as i get out the drive the car stalls and then have to churn the key to get her to start again which i dont think is healthy.
Starting the car and letting it idle for couple minutes is annoying at times but hey thats the unfortunate joy of owning a turbo and doing things right.
Old 22 January 2014, 09:45 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No - it's just causing more damage and is doing things wrong!
If your car stalls if you drive straight away suggests there is something wrong with your car or there is issue with your driving

Last edited by Brun; 22 January 2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 22 January 2014, 09:46 AM
sovietspybob
Scooby Regular

I just get in and drive straight away, i keep off boost until i see decent oil temp which takes a really long time. To see 70 degrees i'm usually a good 5 or more miles down the express way and to see full operating temp of 90+ i'll be getting on for 10 miles away!

I see people do the start and leave it for 5 mins thing with motorbikes too, no idea why you'd be far better of riding around slowly getting brakes and tyres up to temp than leaving it idling for ages and then ragging it off into the distance.

Last edited by sovietspybob; 22 January 2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 22 January 2014, 10:09 AM
boosted
Scooby Regular

As mentioned a few times above, a no-load idle situation is not brilliant for an engine, there is far less strain and load on components at a few thousnad revs, this is why when you put new cams in or re build an engine you should never let it idle on first start up.
Old 22 January 2014, 10:24 AM
Doobie
Scooby Regular

what about those that suffer piston slap? Should you still just drive off?
Old 22 January 2014, 11:13 AM
chet123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
No - it's just causing more damage and is doing things wrong!
If your car stalls if you drive straight away suggests there is something wrong with your car or there is issue with your driving
I suspect its the idle control valve or something but like I said I dont mind warming it up whilst it is parked in the garage to get temps up which works perfectly for me. I then at first take a steady drive to get the tyres, brakes warm before running ragid. Yeah right!
Old 22 January 2014, 12:33 PM
Shaunby 300
Scooby Regular

I drain the oil into a roasting dish, put in a pre heated oven at 100ēc (90ēc if its fan assisted) for 10 mins then pour back into car, start engine, maximum launch out of drive. Lol
Old 22 January 2014, 12:38 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaunby 300
I drain the oil into a roasting dish, put in a pre heated oven at 100ēc (90ēc if its fan assisted) for 10 mins then pour back into car, start engine, maximum launch out of drive. Lol
PMSL, gearbox and rear diff oil too i hope?
Old 22 January 2014, 12:47 PM
TheWaterboy
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are we talking about steam trains or cars? Granted early cars did need warming up carefully due to poor oils, poor tolerances on engines etc but todays cars whatever make or model don't need treating with kids gloves.
Old 22 January 2014, 01:19 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Doobie
what about those that suffer piston slap? Should you still just drive off?
Yep. No dramas here.
Old 22 January 2014, 01:34 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Originally Posted by Shaunby 300
I do hope you are using extra virgin olive oil.
Old 22 January 2014, 01:42 PM
Doobie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daveyj
Yep. No dramas here.

Cool saves me 20 minutes each day then

Quick Reply: Warm up procedure?