Sponsored by:

Camsgaft position sensor/AVCS fault

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2014, 06:46 PM
just me
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camsgaft position sensor/AVCS fault

I have a widetrack blob which I had mapped one week ago, since then the cel has been on for camshaft position sensor bank 1.

The car is coughing or what feels like a misfire at 4k rpm, seems to be momentary dip in power, cough then full boost.

So far I have given the car an oil change, cleaned ocv's, cleaned all the camshaft position sensors (which didnt help), replaced the the sensor near the oil filler tube and also the one at the back of the driver side head with brand new genuine sensors.

I have also removed the screens from the banjo's near both the ocv's, anbd the one near the turbo.

Reset the codes each time and they always come back on the first time the engine revs past 4k. I have my shift light set to 6k, and never bounce off the rev limiter.

Im not sure now on how to proceed, is it actually something mechanical? Or could it be a bad relay/electrical problem? An injector (bought 2nd hand 800cc from here)? Timing belt fault?

I really hope its nothing serious, current mods are billet 321t, 800cc injectors, exhaust and map.

Any advice guys?

Last edited by just me; 21 January 2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 22 January 2014, 12:23 AM
just me
Scooby Regular

just been out in the car, at wot the car definately seems to lose power at 3.5k, then jerks/coughs at 4k and pulls hard.

Anybody experienced a similar problem?
Old 22 January 2014, 06:46 AM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by just me
just been out in the car, at wot the car definately seems to lose power at 3.5k, then jerks/coughs at 4k and pulls hard.

Anybody experienced a similar problem?
it might be an idea to take it back to whoever mapped it.they might be able to see what its doing a little better once the laptop is plugged in.
Old 22 January 2014, 10:21 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bigarf
it might be an idea to take it back to whoever mapped it.they might be able to see what its doing a little better once the laptop is plugged in.
Agreed, the mapper should be able to see the cam advance and what it's doing at the point it plays up. If you want to try another thing in the meantime. Take the actual solonoids out of the cam controllers, its only a m6 bolt and they slide out (don't pull on the plastic electric socket though).
Give them a good clean. Ive come across something similar and one of them was stuck with a bit of crud.
Another thing ive seen was loss of oil pressure, there wasn't enough pressure to operate the cams, fingers crossed it's not that though.
Old 22 January 2014, 03:48 PM
just me
Scooby Regular

Ive taken the solenoids out and cleaned them liberally with brake cleaner and electrical contact cleaner, reset ecu, code came back, I then put the "dodgey" sensor into the passenger side head, reset ecu and the code came back, still for bank 1.

The sensor next to the dipstick has already been changed.

Oil pressure seems fine according to my gauge, 6 bar cold idle, 1.9 bar hot idle, between 5 and 6 driving in traffic.

I have been in touch with the mapper, he can only see the inlet cam not the exhaust.

Car is spluttering as its coming on boost between 3.5 and 4k rpm, boosting to just under 1.7 bar,I have triple checked for splits etc.

Really running out of ideas

Could thsese symptoms be synonymous with the timing belt having skipped a tooth? Or a wiring problem?

Last edited by just me; 22 January 2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 23 January 2014, 12:27 AM
just me
Scooby Regular

Would anybody know if these solenoids affect the exhaust cams? As speaking to the mapper, the inlets were fine during the map.

Thinking of swapping the solenoids over to see if the fault moves to the other side.
Old 23 January 2014, 12:52 PM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

It's only the inlet cams that have avcs on this engine. have a look at the plastic connector part of the solonoids in case they have been damaged. I had this a while back with an intermittant fault and the same cel code. It turned out to be the solonoid on the left bank was damaged (the connector was cracked).
Old 23 January 2014, 03:36 PM
just me
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice, very much appreciated.

Ive gapped the sparkplugs to 0.65, and also swapped both solenoids over to see if the fault moves to the opposite bank, reset ecu, code came back, the spluttering still there.

No idea what to try next

Could it be faulty injectors? Spent £20 on Forte injector cleaner anyway, doubt its going to do much.

Last edited by just me; 23 January 2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 23 January 2014, 05:54 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Check the wiring to the solenoid, I had a break in my loom which was a pain to sort.

Might also be worth checking the timing belt is correct, I've also seen a belt fitted wrong.

Get yourself the free software and view your avcs advance at idle.