Sponsored by:

return home and car missing

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2014, 02:16 AM
scoobyJim2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default return home and car missing

I've got an a-class merc I borrowed of a friend,I was using it whilst my subaru was off the road for a while.it's been sitting opposite my house on a Private road for 3 months or so because I've got my car back and friend has no use for it at present.so a couple off weeks ago I realised the tax had expired by 6weeks,so i sorned it online,then he recieved a fine in the post which I payed for £80 or £40 if paid within 14days,which I paid last friday. Anyway I return home tonight and car is gone. I doubt its been stolen (battery is removed for one) so im guessing its been towed by council,police or dvla. Was I wrong to believe you can leave an untaxed car in a private road,or is whoevers towed it in the wrong,by not realising it's a private road.this is presuming it hasn't been nicked! I Will find out tommorrow when I ask the owner to call police
Old 21 January 2014, 06:22 AM
DUBHEAD
Scooby Regular

Could of been stolen tbh surely if it was going to be towed there would be some sort of notice before hand to inform you about it being towed

Cars can be stolen without a battery, I know a bloke who had his motorhome in tor work at a garage and he took the battery off to stop it being stolen (it was parked outside) that got nicked the same night.

I would ring police mate
Old 21 January 2014, 07:11 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Interesting, and maybe it depends on the exact legal status of "private" roads

Are they the same as your drive
Old 21 January 2014, 08:24 AM
DieHardDonkey
Scooby Regular

call the old bill asap mate, its probly been stolen by a scrapper on a flatbed.
Old 21 January 2014, 08:39 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DieHardDonkey
call the old bill asap mate, its probly been stolen by a scrapper on a flatbed.
^^^ this.

Call the old bill and report it stolen. If the road is private then yes, you can leave sorned cars on it.
Old 21 January 2014, 09:47 AM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Interesting, and maybe it depends on the exact legal status of "private" roads

Are they the same as your drive
No they aren't.

"A public road is a road maintained at the public expense, including grass verges and ground adjoining the road."

This means that if a 'Private' road is maintained by the council it is classed a 'Public' road and you cannot park untaxed/SORNed cars on it.

The DVLA can remove cars from these roads.

To the OP contact the authorities immediately as if they have it they can and will crush it!!!
Old 21 January 2014, 10:57 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rescue Dude
No they aren't.

"A public road is a road maintained at the public expense, including grass verges and ground adjoining the road."

This means that if a 'Private' road is maintained by the council it is classed a 'Public' road and you cannot park untaxed/SORNed cars on it.

The DVLA can remove cars from these roads.

To the OP contact the authorities immediately as if they have it they can and will crush it!!!
yes, that is what I would have thought

I am sure some of these roads marked as "Private" are in reality, not

just signs put up by the residents or the original developers, and have no real legal basis - just put there to make the residents feel a little bit superior

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 21 January 2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 21 January 2014, 10:59 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

As long as the council don't maintain it you're golden.
Old 21 January 2014, 11:05 AM
cossie_eater
Scooby Regular

yes, that is what I would have thought

I am sure some of these roads marked as "Private" are in reality, not

just signs put up by the residents or the original developers, and have no real legal basis - just put there to make the residents feel a little bit superior

This is now true DVLA changed the legislation where if you or anyone can drive down the road its not deemed as private. (public access) they are allowed to clamp or remove. unless it is behind gates or on a private driveway.

(used to work for DVLA)
Old 21 January 2014, 12:23 PM
swaynie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
As long as the council don't maintain it you're golden.
Defo call the police and contact the DVLA to see if they have seized it.
Old 21 January 2014, 02:02 PM
scoobyJim2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cossie_eater

This is now true DVLA changed the legislation where if you or anyone can drive down the road its not deemed as private. (public access) they are allowed to clamp or remove. unless it is behind gates or on a private driveway.

(used to work for DVLA)
Well after about 6 different phonecalls it turns out a private company that dvla use (nsl) has towed the car. Apparently as stated by cossie eater,any road the public can drive down is not a private road (only if there is a gate it is private) so you can only leave it on your driveway or garage. I have to pay £260 for it back or surrender car to them
Old 21 January 2014, 02:15 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyJim2
Well after about 6 different phonecalls it turns out a private company that dvla use (nsl) has towed the car. Apparently as stated by cossie eater,any road the public can drive down is not a private road (only if there is a gate it is private) so you can only leave it on your driveway or garage. I have to pay £260 for it back or surrender car to them
Will they let you have it back if it isn't taxed and insured?

I'm not sure they will.
Old 21 January 2014, 02:25 PM
cossie_eater
Scooby Regular

tax and log book will be needed to get it back
Old 21 January 2014, 02:58 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cossie_eater
tax and log book will be needed to get it back
Which is what I figured.

They may only return it to the registered keeper too.
Old 21 January 2014, 03:18 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

I have said this on these pages before, but this sort of thing (which I am in total agrrement with btw) i,e, a very rigorous inforcement of untaxted and un-insured cars (the databases cross referencing the the SORN database)

will change the dynamics of car ownership - in certain and incressingly common circumstances cars will become a financial liability - i.e not just "Not worth much"

but people will be paying to get rid of them
Old 21 January 2014, 03:34 PM
scoobyJim2
Scooby Regular

I have said this on these pages before, but this sort of thing (which I am in total agrrement with btw) i,e, a very rigorous inforcement of untaxted and un-insured cars (the databases cross referencing the the SORN database)

will change the dynamics of car ownership - in certain and incressingly common circumstances cars will become a financial liability - i.e not just "Not worth much"

but people will be paying to get rid of them
If I knew it wasn't aloud to be parked there I would've moved it.I've always had tax,mot,insurance etc. I thought it was classed off the road
Old 21 January 2014, 03:41 PM
scoobyJim2
Scooby Regular

Which is what I figured.

They may only return it to the registered keeper too.
Yes only to registered keeper with 3forms of ID. And because keeper has it registered at his other address to where he's utility bill and driving licence is registered at,this makes it trickier! What the company has said is if I bring my ID then I can fill in a v62 form,pay £25,collect my belongings (because im not aloud these for the same reason I can't get car back) then let them keep car and wont have to pay the £260.
Old 21 January 2014, 03:44 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

So you're letting them keep it?

Doesn't your friend want it back?
Old 21 January 2014, 03:48 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

If I knew it wasn't aloud to be parked there I would've moved it.I've always had tax,mot,insurance etc. I thought it was classed off the road
was not meant to be a dig at you

in fact due to an administrative **** - totally my fault, i forgot to SORN my Caterham 7 when I took it of the road for the winter (and stored it in my garage) a yera or two ago

anyway a fine in the post - won't make that mistake again, but still think it is a good idea
Old 21 January 2014, 06:59 PM
scoobyJim2
Scooby Regular

was not meant to be a dig at you

in fact due to an administrative **** - totally my fault, i forgot to SORN my Caterham 7 when I took it of the road for the winter (and stored it in my garage) a yera or two ago

anyway a fine in the post - won't make that mistake again, but still think it is a good idea
No offence taken. Its a good idea for people who drive around everyday knowing they are illegal. But when like you say its due to administrative reasons,which you could say mine was as the tax reminder went to owners alternative address and had to be forwarded on
Old 21 January 2014, 07:15 PM
scoobyJim2
Scooby Regular

So you're letting them keep it?

Doesn't your friend want it back?
Yea they're keeping it.friend just said give him scrap money for it and is happy with £100. Lesson has been if im ever in same situation again and forget to tax or sorn a vehicle,as soon as i realised i would choose to put 6months on it,which would be back dated with an arrears charge of about £18 and i could always get refund on tax when I did get rid of it. Rather than sorning it, paying fine,then loosing car anyway or paying £260 or more for it back
Old 22 January 2014, 06:35 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Regarding a private rd/car park, might be a bit of topic, but my brother parked his Subaru in his private works car park and was issued a fixed penalty by the police for having a small numberplate, My brother tried to argue that it was on private works car park, and was told it didnt make a difference!! The car park could be seen from the main road, but no one else used the car park as it was only for people who worked there!!
Old 22 January 2014, 10:24 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

^^^^ how did it get there?
Old 23 January 2014, 07:19 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Yea they're keeping it.friend just said give him scrap money for it and is happy with £100. Lesson has been if im ever in same situation again and forget to tax or sorn a vehicle,as soon as i realised i would choose to put 6months on it,which would be back dated with an arrears charge of about £18 and i could always get refund on tax when I did get rid of it. Rather than sorning it, paying fine,then loosing car anyway or paying £260 or more for it back
The government ran an advertising campaign regarding this a few years ago. I thought it was now common knowledge?
Old 23 January 2014, 02:36 PM
scoobyJim2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
Regarding a private rd/car park, might be a bit of topic, but my brother parked his Subaru in his private works car park and was issued a fixed penalty by the police for having a small numberplate, My brother tried to argue that it was on private works car park, and was told it didnt make a difference!! The car park could be seen from the main road, but no one else used the car park as it was only for people who worked there!!
He probably was in the right parked off road,half the coppers don't know the law properly.
Old 23 January 2014, 02:41 PM
scoobyJim2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head

The government ran an advertising campaign regarding this a few years ago. I thought it was now common knowledge?
In this campaign did they explain whats classed as a private road? Because where I left mine it says 'private road,residents parking only' so I assumed it wasn't classed as on the road
Old 23 January 2014, 02:47 PM
scoobyJim2
Scooby Regular

If there is no locked gate and public can enter, then its classed as public road, not private,apparently! Should be aloud a show plate if parked up though! If you keep original on dash they cant do you for small plate
Old 23 January 2014, 02:55 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

If there is no locked gate and public can enter, then its classed as public road, not private,apparently! Should be aloud a show plate if parked up though! If you keep original on dash they cant do you for small plate
I think you'll find yourself with a £60 fine if the plate isn't legal and isn't displayed correctly.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...ulation/6/made

Last edited by Rescue Dude; 23 January 2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 23 January 2014, 04:12 PM
scoobyJim2
Scooby Regular

Did police measure his characters and checked visible distances as to the legislation that rescue dude posted? I bet they didn't! Maybe my friend has been lucky but whenever he's been tugged and they see the front plate (his is black & chrome on a black nova) because he has proper plate on dashboard they dont do anything.