Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2014, 04:58 PM
Charliewrxsti
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie quick question

Hi Guys,

New to the forum

Just px my corsa vxr nurburgring for a 2012 wrx sti saloon and picking up on Friday.

Sadly doesn't have the spoiler but for the price and mileage I had to get it (will be getting the spoiler some how)

Thanks charlie

Now just a quick question, which tuners have the best rep for my car? Everytime I try and search takes me to an American website
Old 11 January 2014, 09:06 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome

Well tuning, have you not seen the tread about the engines?
You can have the car mapped, the engine internals are, hit and miss should we say on the 2.5's, they need super unleaded fuel only if you want to keep the pistons in a nice way but even then....
If you want to tune properly then you will need an engine rebuild with stronger pistons and rods, will set you back around 2.5k but the car will be better than the factory engine (they were not built for the Impreza originally so they had a lower power output).

Tony
Old 11 January 2014, 09:11 PM
bigh221
Scooby Regular

Wink

Good move Charlie :-) have a look at my 2010 wrx sti saloon in the members gallery, just fitted the boot lip spoiler from HT Autos and it transforms the rear of the car. £119 for the boot lip and it cost me £144 to spray up and fit on.

Regards
Neil
Old 13 January 2014, 01:24 PM
Charliewrxsti
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys for this, and yeah I was having a look on HT Autos they seem to do the larger spoiler although your one looks really nice aswell as splitters and skirt extenders.

With regards to rebuilding, 2.5k is that done by a rep tuner who has a package that I could view?

Without a rebuild what is the max safe power I could get from the stock engine?
Old 13 January 2014, 01:55 PM
bigh221
Scooby Regular

Charlie,

Call Alan Jeffery at engine tuner in Plymouth, he quoted me around 3k for forged mahl pistons and replacement bearings. I'm filling mine up with BP ultimate 97 Ron, not sure what everyone else puts in their saloons? Not sure if I'm going down the forged route yet. David at API also has a good reputation on here.

Hope that helps mate

Regards
Neil
2010 WRX STI Saloon
Old 13 January 2014, 02:20 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigh221
Charlie,

Call Alan Jeffery at engine tuner in Plymouth, he quoted me around 3k for forged mahl pistons and replacement bearings. I'm filling mine up with BP ultimate 97 Ron, not sure what everyone else puts in their saloons? Not sure if I'm going down the forged route yet. David at API also has a good reputation on here.

Hope that helps mate

Regards
Neil
2010 WRX STI Saloon
Don't put BP is any Subaru turbo they run like crap on it.

Choices are Shell V power or whatever they call it today and Tesco Momentum which maps just as well. You'll get better MPG too - but stop, now, today, putting BP in, the engine is fragile enough without doing that to it .......

David APi
Old 13 January 2014, 02:25 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

Originally Posted by Charliewrxsti
Thanks guys for this, and yeah I was having a look on HT Autos they seem to do the larger spoiler although your one looks really nice as well as splitters and skirt extenders.

With regards to rebuilding, 2.5k is that done by a rep tuner who has a package that I could view?

Without a rebuild what is the max safe power I could get from the stock engine?
Hiya welcome to the " Subaru world of pain........

There is no safe option for tuning unless you do something about the poor quality pistons fitted as standard. We can handle that for you at a very competitive price. But you need to remember, that once done you will not be able to claim on any IM warranty as they will blame the engine work for a faulty wiper motor, noisy wheel bearing, etc., etc.

Call me for a sensible conversation if you wish.

David APi 01926 614333
Old 13 January 2014, 02:34 PM
bigh221
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
Don't put BP is any Subaru turbo they run like crap on it.

Choices are Shell V power or whatever they call it today and Tesco Momentum which maps just as well. You'll get better MPG too - but stop, now, today, putting BP in, the engine is fragile enough without doing that to it .......

David APi
Cheers David, tescos or V power it is.

Regards
Neil
Old 13 January 2014, 04:31 PM
Charliewrxsti
Scooby Newbie

Cheers david I've saved your number and will call you within the next few weeks for sure.

I would only ever run V power on a turbo car anyway, same as my vxr.

I'll do styling first need some nice wheels etc, then forging within the next few months, im based in watford so depends on cost and distance from each dealer.

Also are the pistons high comp or low comp for 2.5k? I read somewhere that on standard internals that the pistons are good for 380 bhp? is this true, mods wise I'd want first of all before forging is, exhaust, intercooler, intake maybe injectors? does anyone know what roughly with those supporting mods what power you could make?

Thanks again guys
Old 13 January 2014, 04:35 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd make time to give David at API a call.

He will give you the low down, he won't try and sell you stuff, he won't LET you buy stuff you don't need, all in all, one of the best around. A true gent and as honest as the day is long.
Old 13 January 2014, 05:11 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by alcazar
I'd make time to give David at API a call.

He will give you the low down, he won't try and sell you stuff, he won't LET you buy stuff you don't need, all in all, one of the best around. A true gent and as honest as the day is long.

Thanks.