Sponsored by:

Very high idle problem 3k rpm

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2014, 04:07 PM
Dreep
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Very high idle problem 3k rpm

So I've got the gearbox back in after the Type Rs latest episode but now stumbled into something else.

I've checked everything over with a friend of mine too and we both agree its definitely something that we haven't touched. We've retraced our steps from things we have removed, double checked and triple checked.

The car as soon as I start it, goes right up to 3000rpm and sits there, wont come down. I tried unplugging the IACV to see if it made any difference, no odds. I used contact clean on the IACV to see if it was just dirty pins? No odds. I removed the bolts from the back (without removing the coolant lines) and sprayed the death out of the inside of the IACV. Is it only supposed to twist side to side? Or is there a plunger inside that should move? Rebuilt and tested and again no odds. Left the car running this time but turned the idle down through the IACV and it worked a little and sat at 2k rpm instead.

After around 2 mins it rose up to 3k rpm again and Im still in the same situation. Any ideas?

Car is fitted with Apexi Power FC. I'm monitoring the temperature to see any change in idle and at 80 degrees its not changed in the slightest , if anything the revs want to go higher.
Old 07 January 2014, 04:13 PM
thunder8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i take it its maffless ?????
Old 07 January 2014, 04:16 PM
Dreep
Scooby Regular

No, Apexi's cannot run MAFless. Im still drawn towards this IACV as the car has been sitting for over a month, so its almost like its stuck?
Old 07 January 2014, 04:25 PM
thunder8
Scooby Regular

i thought some apexi ecu`s could run mafless ?????

so u took it out carb cleaned it , wd40ed it and put back in ,still the same ,

have you took maf out used electrical cleaner on that .

my maf went faulty hummed from 800 to 1500 ..

then again when i let it stand last year and had to rechaarge battery as dead mine went up to 2000rpm then worked its way down to normal 800 but took a while , maybe evan a little drive to let the ecu relearn
Old 07 January 2014, 04:52 PM
ken-sti
Scooby Regular

reset throttle position sensor?
Old 07 January 2014, 05:59 PM
Dreep
Scooby Regular

Well I took it for a run and at least I know the gearbox works lol
Althought when I take it out of fifth it doesnt want to return to neutral position.

Car didnt clear up either after taking it for a run.
Old 07 January 2014, 08:52 PM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

You havnt done anything to the throttle cable, like unseated it etc? Allowing the butterfly to open a bit?
Old 07 January 2014, 09:05 PM
Brensscooby
Scooby Regular

Your not leaking any coolant at all???... Or an air lock in the system?
I had a small coolant leak on mine & the apexi thought the engine was cold so idled at 3000rpm too.......

Last edited by Brensscooby; 07 January 2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07 January 2014, 10:21 PM
bob wrx
Scooby Regular

Has the apexi been mapped in your car? Try the old Ecu in?
Old 07 January 2014, 10:30 PM
Dreep
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brensscooby
Your not leaking any coolant at all???... Or an air lock in the system?
I had a small coolant leak on mine & the apexi thought the engine was cold so idled at 3000rpm too.......
I did whip off the turbo to change the up pipe gasket whilst I was waiting on bits for the gearbox rebuild. Is there a coolant bleed valve on the engine some where?

I also failed to mention the fact that my Intake hose is quite badly split right at the end that goes onto the turbo. Its that bad that its almost like the jubilee clip has cut through it more after I refitted it once I put the turbo back on. Luckily enough when I seen this I ordered up a Viper/Scoobyworx hose to replace it. Some people are now saying its probably going to be this causing my high idle? I thought by drawing in unmetered air (after the maf) that it would cause it to lean out and thus make it run like a bag of spanners as opposed to high revving at idle?
Old 07 January 2014, 11:40 PM
Brensscooby
Scooby Regular

I would def check there's no no air lock before you do anything else.... There are no bleed valves but if you remove the coolant hose going from the header tank to the turbo from the header tank end, start filling the cooling system via the header tank until coolant flows out of the pipe you have removed, connect the back pipe back up - System should be air free....
Old 08 January 2014, 02:58 AM
tayscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ken-sti
reset throttle position sensor?
Done this before by mistake doing a box. Moved back to original position and idled fine again.
Old 08 January 2014, 07:44 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I would say start with the throttle position sensor. At the end of the day, that is what controls your idle.
Old 08 January 2014, 07:54 AM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Your almost certainly drawing air around the intake manifold somewhere. Check all vacuum pipes etc for splits or if disconnected.
Old 08 January 2014, 11:23 AM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dreep
I did whip off the turbo to change the up pipe gasket whilst I was waiting on bits for the gearbox rebuild. Is there a coolant bleed valve on the engine some where?

I also failed to mention the fact that my Intake hose is quite badly split right at the end that goes onto the turbo. Its that bad that its almost like the jubilee clip has cut through it more after I refitted it once I put the turbo back on. Luckily enough when I seen this I ordered up a Viper/Scoobyworx hose to replace it. Some people are now saying its probably going to be this causing my high idle? I thought by drawing in unmetered air (after the maf) that it would cause it to lean out and thus make it run like a bag of spanners as opposed to high revving at idle?
Changing you split intake would be the very first thing I would do lol.

If you thought it would run lean and run like a bag of spanners surely you didn't drive it, I would cover the basics first and a badly split hose would be top of my list then work through suggestions from there, check throttle position sensor, clean IACV out properly, check to see if your coolant level has changed etc etc

Mick