Your love for cars vs your need to pay the bills

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2013, 12:32 AM
Dnalunchie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Your love for cars vs your need to pay the bills

Hey all

I like many of you love subaru's, I love pretty much everything about cars in general actually from learning about new performance engines to seemingly boring stuff like improving fuel economy and interiors

Anyway what I wanted to know was whether any of you guys feel the same and if so why you have chosen to work in the automotive industry or why you have chosen not to do so?

EG The compromise of job stability as a mechanic vs trying to be involved directly in something like motorsport engineering with the possibility of less job security and needing to travel a lot for work etc.

Basically where and why did you draw the between your passion for cars and your need to have a reliable job.

Also for those of you that work in the very center of the industry like RCM or LitchField, did you find pursuing this job meant less stability and more sacrifices than something that is still automotive related but perhaps more traditional/mainstream like working for a car dealer etc.

So to sum up, do you love cars heaps?, If the answer is yes then are you doing the job in the automotive industry that you really really want?, and if the answer is no then what factors influenced your decision to go another direction?

P.S If you don't want to post this in public then feel free to PM me in confidence.

Cheers guys.

Lunchie

PP.SS.

I know this could be placed in off topic section but since I intended it to be a serious discussion rather than simply "I do it for the chicks bro!" I thought it would be better suited here, hope the mods don't mind

Last edited by Dnalunchie; 14 December 2013 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Explanation
Old 14 December 2013, 12:41 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dnalunchie
Hey all

I like many of you love subaru's, I love pretty much everything about cars in general actually from learning about new performance engines to seemingly boring stuff like improving fuel economy and interiors

Anyway what I wanted to know was whether any of you guys feel the same and if so why you have chosen to work in the automotive industry or why you have chosen not to do so?

EG The compromise of job stability as a mechanic vs trying to be involved directly in something like motorsport engineering with the possibility of less job security and needing to travel a lot for work etc.

Basically where and why did you draw the between your passion for cars and your need to have a reliable job.

Also for those of you that work in the very center of the industry like RCM or LitchField, did you find pursuing this job meant less stability and more sacrifices than something that is still automotive related but perhaps more traditional/mainstream like working for a car dealer etc.

So to sum up, do you love cars heaps?, If the answer is yes then are you doing the job in the automotive industry that you really really want?, and if the answer is no then what factors influenced your decision to go another direction?

P.S If you don't want to post this in public then feel free to PM me in confidence.

Cheers guys.

Lunchie

PP.SS.

I know this could be placed in off topic section but since I intended it to be a serious discussion rather than simply "I do it for the chicks bro!" I thought it would be better suited here, hope the mods don't mind
I love my car to bits. I bought it so that I could impress the lasses that hang around outside the local kebab shop when my dump valve vents to air.

I don't work in the automotive trade. I'm not clever enough to bash bits of metal with a mallet. Instead I bash people with one.
Old 14 December 2013, 12:42 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
I love my car to bits. I bought it so that I could impress the lasses that hang around outside the local kebab shop when my dump valve vents to air.

I don't work in the automotive trade. I'm not clever enough to bash bits of metal with a mallet. Instead I bash people up the bottom with my meat mallet.
Old 14 December 2013, 12:43 AM
Dreep
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

I work for a main Audi dealership. Having completed my apprenticeship with them I can say its a good qualification to obtain. However, my love for performance cars made me want to become a dab hand at working on them hence the mechanic job.

Now, I actually feel that it makes me hate cars now. I spend all week fixing other peoples cars and when there is an issue with my own car I find it hard to build any enthusiasm to work on it straight away as I am already sick of the sight of cars having worked on them all week!

I'm currently looking at a career change away from the Automotive industry.
Everyone's different though, some people will still enjoy cars whilst working with them on a daily basis
Old 14 December 2013, 01:30 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
Old 14 December 2013, 05:06 AM
kirky1
Scooby Regular

i work as a long wheel base van driver for argos, its a fiat ducato not sure what engines in it but its quite fun on the back lanes in cornwall. all the drivers there love there cars but most of them have bmws and constantly going on about how good there build quality is, i comeback with their too heavy and expensive for parts. one lad has spent about 4 grand on his in the last year or so and hes done all the work to it himself. ive spent about a grand on my uk turbo since i got it in sept but well worth it i love it now
Old 14 December 2013, 07:33 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreep

Now, I actually feel that it makes me hate cars now. I spend all week fixing other peoples cars and when there is an issue with my own car I find it hard to build any enthusiasm to work on it straight away as I am already sick of the sight of cars having worked on them all week!
This can happen, often better to keep your passion and your job separate
Old 14 December 2013, 08:17 AM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dreep
I work for a main Audi dealership. Having completed my apprenticeship with them I can say its a good qualification to obtain. However, my love for performance cars made me want to become a dab hand at working on them hence the mechanic job.

I'm currently looking at a career change away from the Automotive industry.
Everyone's different though, some people will still enjoy cars whilst working with them on a daily basis
Similar thing has happened to me, I was into off road bikes and quads in a big way so opened up my own quad centre. Now I can't stand the sight of them!
Old 14 December 2013, 08:42 AM
angel1368
Scooby Regular

i used to love sex but cos i work in **** i never look forward to sex anymore
Old 14 December 2013, 09:01 AM
theduck
Scooby Regular

I used to think I wanted to work in mechanics trade or Motorsport, actually had a few opportunitues to get experience in Motorsport, but the reality for me is as much as I love cars and they are one if the biggest parts of my life, getting into Motorsport would have made them my entire life, and I didn't want that.
Old 14 December 2013, 09:09 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by angel1368
i used to love sex but cos i work in **** i never look forward to sex anymore
Maybe your just bad at itSJ.
Old 14 December 2013, 10:14 AM
jonnyricer2
Scooby Regular

I work as an mot tester and mechanic i still love my cars i dont get enough time to work on them though!!
Also its saved me lots of money doing my own stuff.when we get cars in with big bills just for mot
and servicing i think thank good ness im not paying!!
Old 14 December 2013, 11:39 AM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

I work with JLR on calibrating OBD systems, love it, get paid for driving around in prototype cars in UK, Europe and USA

In many ways I am doing my dream job but it does have it's downsides though as vehicles and systems are getting more and more complicated and the time to develop them is never long enough.
Old 14 December 2013, 03:37 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

I love my cars and talking about them so naturally I should of become
A car salesman but talking about them all day would make me loose my passion
For them so I've kept away from that as a career
Old 14 December 2013, 08:13 PM
carterv3typeR
Scooby Regular

I'm a mechanic, then when I get home I get to work on the subaru til 11pm, and most of Saturday. Would love to get into motorsport at some point, maybe when my rally cars done I may get a chance! Find myself skint most of the time cos of cars.
Old 14 December 2013, 09:53 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I work For a Subaru/Isuzu Main dealer as a Tech & to be honest I don't ever get sick of it to be fair. everyday faced with a new challenge and something odd that's not been seen before gives it a bit of variety. End of the day I save myself & family a fortune on repair bills as I do it all & in my spare time just tinker on some more with the Hatch sti lol
Old 15 December 2013, 08:16 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was heading towards being a mechanic as a 17yr old, my cousin who had been one for about 15yrs at the time told me if I want to work with cars get into the electrical side, because it's a dirty job and your never get your hands really clean, sometimes working in sh!ty, cold conditions and don't make particularly good money as for most there is a limit to what you will be earning.

I took that advice and stated work at as an accessory installation technician fitting stereo's, alarms, central locking and electric windows, which lead me onto car phones and tracking systems, was a decent living but nothing fantastic, best thing about it was I was always mobile so had company cars and free fuel, I also got to drive all sorts of cars from fiestas & metro's to Bentley's, Ferrari's and Astons.

I'll never forget the time I did a burn out in a Bentley Turbo R in an underground car park on Park Lane London, Parked the car into the space I was working on it in and a couple of minutes later a thick cloud of burnt rubber smoke came wafting along, or nearly loosing the back end of a Magnum style Ferrari that belonged to someone from a famous rock band in Loughborough, ahhhhh the good old days when they would just chuck you the keys and say it's in the compound, don't crash it.

I'm glad I listened to that pearl of wisdom because I hate doing anything electrical on a car now, my eyes glaze over when people start talking about in-car entertainment / alarms or the latest gadget, but I love the mechanical side and learned a lot being around garages and mechanics all the time, now I do all my own work on my cars and look forward to taking engines out and stripping them down, doing some research and putting it all back together again, then going for a blast knowing that I rebuilt it myself, it's a very satisfying feeling and really appeals to the tinkerer and miser in me.

But no ******* way would I do it for a living same as being a builder, yet i'm rebuilding a house and currently doing a real stone extension by myself and love it but no way i'd be a bricky.

Go figure.
Old 15 December 2013, 11:32 AM
edsel
Scooby Regular

I work for a big motor co. Ive been a petrol head since my schoolboy moto cross days. Getting this job was a dream come true, I thought.
I've worked on assembly lines, machine shops and on/in various other projects and depts. There's nothing glamorous about working in manufacturing, it doesn't matter if its V8's going down the line or fridges the assembly principle is the same. I don't think I would have stuck it out this long if I couldn't relate to the end product though.

On the plus side its a great company to work for, I'll never be a millionaire but as a whole the package is good; security, sick, holiday pay, pension etc and as a rule no two days are the same.
On the down side it doesn't allow me to get hands on and that's where the hobby car comes into it.

Having a project car is a real stress reliever for me, I look forward to spending a few hours in the garage and enjoy researching and planning the next job. Working with engineers and strict quality processes the job has made me very **** when it comes to working on my own cars.
The Day job is all about the end product. The Subaru project is the same but what I learn and who I meet on the way is just as important.

Last edited by edsel; 15 December 2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 15 December 2013, 12:23 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy

I don't work in the automotive trade. I'm not clever enough to bash bits of metal with a mallet. Instead I bash people with one.
Copper?
Old 15 December 2013, 02:55 PM
ScoobyNoob79
Scooby Regular

Sounds like we're doing someones homework assignment for them...
Old 15 December 2013, 03:03 PM
edsel
Scooby Regular

Was thinking the same.... He'll be ****ed if uses Scooby net grammar.
Old 15 December 2013, 03:04 PM
ScoobyNoob79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by edsel
Was thinking the same.... He'll be ****ed if uses Scooby net grammar.
Hahaha, yeah!