Sponsored by:

"Always warmed up and cooled down"

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2013, 10:51 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry "Always warmed up and cooled down"

Why do people write this is car adverts and what does it even mean? How do you cool an engine down? I turn the engine off personally, to warm it up I turn it on. Anyone got any other methods?
Old 05 December 2013, 10:56 PM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

I think they mean they dont start the car, then smash the granny out of it from the off, come to screaming stop and shut the engine down....
Old 05 December 2013, 11:02 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Let the oil get upto temp before ragging it and then letting the turbo cool down before turning off
Old 05 December 2013, 11:06 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Ok so that isn't cold thrashing it, but what even is a 'proper' warm up? Sit there idling for 10 mins? Drive it below 3k, 4k? A car is designed to warm up as it is being driven and prolonged idling wears an engine unnecessarily. And to be honest I don't see what difference it makes if you cool and engine by just turning it off or idling it. If it's off then it won't wear. The turbo timer argument.

Last edited by tony de wonderful; 05 December 2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05 December 2013, 11:08 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Letting the engine idle for 5 mins when the last couple of miles was at 30 mph or below anyway. Just another way of pissing off the neighbours.

JohnD
Old 05 December 2013, 11:09 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I just drive off boost til temps are up and off boost for the last couple of miles home

I've never put that in an ad when selling a car though
Old 05 December 2013, 11:09 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There ain't no argument for a Turbo Timer - period
Old 05 December 2013, 11:10 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
There ain't no argument for a Turbo Timer - period
Or fake roof vents.
Old 05 December 2013, 11:11 PM
GotBoost?
Scooby Regular

Warming up and cooling down means driving off boost for ~5 miles. Helps with turbo and engine wear.
Old 05 December 2013, 11:13 PM
Comboflip
Scooby Regular

Yes basically it takes around 5 miles to warm up this is the minimum, so no boost until oil reaches the target temp.cool down- just as important as the warm up (turbos go red hot) no boost or kept to the minimum for around 5miles or use a turbo timer...
Old 05 December 2013, 11:16 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Anyone got any other methods?
Smash the **** off it as soon as you turn the engine key.

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Or fake roof vents.

Should call those tossing things roof turds.
Old 05 December 2013, 11:19 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GotBoost?
Warming up and cooling down means driving off boost for ~5 miles. Helps with turbo and engine wear.
The ad was actually for a B6 S4 which is a nasp V8.
Old 05 December 2013, 11:26 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Comboflip
Yes basically it takes around 5 miles to warm up this is the minimum, so no boost until oil reaches the target temp.cool down- just as important as the warm up (turbos go red hot) no boost or kept to the minimum for around 5miles or use a turbo timer...
If you switch the engine off immediately after thrashing it the turbos are just going to cool less fast.
Old 05 December 2013, 11:34 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Turning off is more to do with turbo still spinning but oil not circulating hence drive off boost for last mile or so, or give it a min at ldle

but yeah warmed up cooled down is just crap sales pitch
Old 05 December 2013, 11:35 PM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

Or they boil the little oil and water that is present when you do a hot shutdown. Which is not good.

Water flowing through cools, the oil lubricates. Turn the engine off and it does neither.

If you have been on it just prior, then the turbo would be spinning at circa 128k rpm...

Last edited by Fudgey; 05 December 2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05 December 2013, 11:48 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

The owners handbook clearly states about not using excessive revs ect until the engine is up to temp. It says absolutely nothing about letting the car idle before switching off. Most handbooks also state, start engine and move off straight away and not to let it idle. Running down used to be the case with turbo engines years ago but things have moved on since. About 20 odd years ago i had a Seddon Akinson lorry with a Gardner Turbo engine. Thet had to be left to idle foe 5 mins before switching off. Had something to do with oil supply to the turbo iirc.
Old 05 December 2013, 11:50 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fudgey
If you have been on it just prior, then the turbo would be spinning at circa 128k rpm...
Would be interesting to know at what rate it slows down. Very fast is my guess, as it will be trying to push air into the intake.
Old 05 December 2013, 11:59 PM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

I guess with the throttle shut they will indeed slow pretty rapidly.
But i will still be ****ing hot lol.

The egt gauge on my old car was at about 850 degrees c after a bit of a ragging. Als will see in excess of 1100 degrees.

So if its really hot and you stop the oil and water flowing through it, its not doing the turbo any favours
Old 06 December 2013, 12:19 AM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Wonder how many go in to a busy petrol station and sit for 5 minutes at the pump before switching off before they fill up, that would go down well
Old 06 December 2013, 12:29 AM
parkus
Scooby Regular

Who even drives on boost all the time anyway, ie do people really go to 5k+ revs out of every turn or when pulling out, etc??

Personally I drive off boost except for a 'spirited' exit from a roundabout, to pull into the fast lane, fun on back roads, and so on..

Too many ********* in 1.2 FWD cars with big back boxes that go around redlining through every gear in built up areas, gives everyone with a performance/modded car a bad name.
Old 06 December 2013, 12:46 AM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a £70 TDO5 I ain't letting the car cool down to protect turbo life.
Old 06 December 2013, 01:06 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daviee
Wonder how many go in to a busy petrol station and sit for 5 minutes at the pump before switching off before they fill up, that would go down well
The probably drive at least 5 miles off boost before getting petrol.
Old 06 December 2013, 01:09 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by parkus
Who even drives on boost all the time anyway, ie do people really go to 5k+ revs out of every turn or when pulling out, etc??
On ScoobyNet General everyone drives like a hero.
Old 06 December 2013, 06:53 AM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RS_Matt
I have a £70 TDO5 I ain't letting the car cool down to protect turbo life.
Not sure if the same would apply to a scoob, but when the turbo went on my transit somehow fed oil into the cylinders. It rev'd it's **** off in a cloud off smoke, wouldn't switch off and died a horrible death.

This is my first turbo car, but I always stay off boost until the engines warmed up. Then stay off boost for a few miles, and idle for 30 seconds before I switch off. I thought it was common practice with petrol turbos.
Old 06 December 2013, 07:09 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Willowsdad
Not sure if the same would apply to a scoob, but when the turbo went on my transit somehow fed oil into the cylinders. It rev'd it's **** off in a cloud off smoke, wouldn't switch off and died a horrible death.

This is my first turbo car, but I always stay off boost until the engines warmed up. Then stay off boost for a few miles, and idle for 30 seconds before I switch off. I thought it was common practice with petrol turbos.
With your (diesel) transit, when the turbo oil seals go there is a possibility that the oil will pass the seals and get into the cylinders. As this engine is compression ignition (i.e. a diesel) once fuel, or oil in this case, is injected the engine is self sustaining. Quite scary to sit there with the key removed and the engine raving its t*ts off! It wouldn't happen with a petrol engine as you need electrical power to create a spark, so once the key is removed the engine should stop.
Old 06 December 2013, 07:13 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chopperman
The owners handbook clearly states about not using excessive revs ect until the engine is up to temp. It says absolutely nothing about letting the car idle before switching off. Most handbooks also state, start engine and move off straight away and not to let it idle. Running down used to be the case with turbo engines years ago but things have moved on since. About 20 odd years ago i had a Seddon Akinson lorry with a Gardner Turbo engine. Thet had to be left to idle foe 5 mins before switching off. Had something to do with oil supply to the turbo iirc.
THIS^^^

Yeah it's all old hat nowadays not necessary and most people live in a built up area anyway so giving it death to the front door isn't possible, the area i go for a blast takes 15 mins to be away from traffic and cameras and it's the same on the way back, so it gets warmed up and cooled down by default.

An old girlfriend used to have a beautiful black Saab turbo and when i told her it needs to cool down she said "I've never done that, I just drive it like a normal car" on of the many reasons I never buy a car from "one lady owner"

I do miss that car though, it was a work of art but it did have a few problems and cost a few quid to sort, a bit like the girl that owned it, beautiful to look at but an expensive pain in the ****.
Old 06 December 2013, 03:16 PM
shorty87
Scooby Regular

Guessing they mean they don't just turn it on rag it and then turn it straight off when the turbo looks like this after a blast:
(skip to 2:00 for the proper start!)

Last edited by shorty87; 06 December 2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06 December 2013, 03:41 PM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shorty87
Guessing they mean they don't just turn it on rag it and then turn it straight off when the turbo looks like this after a blast:
(skip to 2:00 for the proper start!)
http://youtu.be/cFUHbeIsOCI?t=57s

Am i missing something on that vid, like a turbo lol

i have seen turbos go white hot before, at that temp the compressor housing goes translucent and you can actually see the turbine wheel spinning inside!

bit like this (although cant see the turbine in that pic)
Old 06 December 2013, 03:47 PM
shorty87
Scooby Regular

Lol, no I didn't mean that was the turbo on the F1 car! Not til next year anyway!

I meant more like if the turbo on someones car for sale looked like that then they just shut the engine off! Was a bit of a sarcastic post!!
Old 06 December 2013, 04:00 PM
GotBoost?
Scooby Regular

Warming up improves the viscosity of the motor oil, thus reduces premature engine wear. Moreover, the engine needs warming up to let the pistons and piston rings expand to normal size. I was expecting this was common sense.

Re cooling down: turbo wheels normally use a simple friction bearing which is lubricated by engine oil. If one was to park his cat with a sizzling red glowing hot turbo bits of oil remaining in the bearing will end up charred and build up residues which eventually will lead to premature turbo failure

Quick Reply: "Always warmed up and cooled down"