Some Serious help needed

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2013, 11:22 PM
drummerkev
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Serious help needed

Right gents,

Picked my motor up this evening and noticed a few issues with it on the way home. Stuff i didnt pick up on during the test drive

EDIT... Car is 2003 STI in mica blue with the PPP pack on there.

EDIT... The car also is a little juddery, if that makes sense? so when you let of the throttle and then put it back on it judders a little it has exeedy clutch in there, maybe thats why? Could be the engine mounts maybe, cant think what else it would be?

1. knocking coming from the rear of the car, i expect this to be a suspension bush, im hoping anyway... what else could it be?

2. gear change from 4-5 is notchy when booting it, under normal driving it appears to be fine, any advice on this?

3. stone chipping is much worse than i remember, and i inspected it in the day as well.

4. i need to test it properly and it could have been the camber of the road, but the brakes pull slighty to the right ( i think ) and it feels like they need bleeding.

5. couple of shopping trolley dings on the motor, im going to have these pulled out, but thought i would mention it anyway.

6. The motor needs a really decent machine polish. How much would this set me back?

But on the plus sides. It pulls like a train, the interior is in great condition and i love it to bits.

So the help i need is can anyone help me resolve these issues or point me in the right direction as to getting it sorted?

Im thinking of taking it to scoobyclinic this weekend and getting them to take a look at at and then getting all the jobs done there. What sort of prices would i be looking at for all the jobs to be completed?

I feel like a bit of a fool now if im honest, i paid just short of 6k for the car, but am now seriously worried i have been ripped off. I went and test drove a few and this by far was the best one... so i thought...

Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction?

So i think this is my list of things to do

Get gearbox checked out (i have heard it could be a syncro.... how much)
Get suspension checked out
Get stone chips sorted
Get the brakes looked at.
Get the minor dents sorted.
Get the car machine polished

I want it immaculate, and up to 'my' standards.

I just feel a bit of tit for not noticing these issues

Last edited by drummerkev; 04 December 2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: add another to do!
Old 04 December 2013, 11:24 PM
Rbon91
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

speak to cuprajake about dents and bodywork.. top lad did full valet including machine polish on my blob
Old 04 December 2013, 11:25 PM
Rbon91
Scooby Regular

where abouts in manchester are you?
Old 04 December 2013, 11:25 PM
drummerkev
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rbon91
where abouts in manchester are you?
Im in sale buddy.
Old 04 December 2013, 11:28 PM
Comboflip
Scooby Regular

Hi pal, where and who did you buy it from ? was it a private or trade sale ?
Rbon91
Scooby Regular

cupra jake is in rochdale well worth the drive over for him tp have a look.. will pm you a member on heres number who can check the car out works from home and his attention to detail is second to non

cheers ryan
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Some info on model and year would help, I'm guessing 05 model or newer WRX ?
They have inverted struts that are prone to knocking like the STI.
WRX gearbox is weaker than the STI but may just need a change of gearbox oil.
Not made of the thickest of paint and metal so are rather prone to car park dents and stone chips I'm afraid.
drummerkev
Scooby Regular

I bought it privately, from a gent over in welshpool.
Old 04 December 2013, 11:29 PM
drummerkev
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy
Some info on model and year would help, I'm guessing 05 model or newer WRX ?
They have inverted struts that are prone to knocking like the STI.
WRX gearbox is weaker than the STI but may just need a change of gearbox oil.
Not made of the thickest of paint and metal so are ratherrone to car park dents and stone chips I'm afraid.

sorry buddy.

Yes its an 03 STI

not too concerned about the chips to be honest as i was expecting to get them sorted anyway. its just the other issues
Old 04 December 2013, 11:35 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Ok, the knocking suspension is quite common on STIs apparently.
I'm guessing at that sort of age and price it's getting on for the 100k mark, unless its had a new clutch the original will be nearing the end of its life, but would have thought this would cause issues throughout the gears. I would probably try a gearbox oil change first if its not had one for a while though.
Old 04 December 2013, 11:37 PM
drummerkev
Scooby Regular

Ok, the knocking suspension is quite common on STIs apparently.
I'm guessing at that sort of age and price it's getting on for the 100k mark, unless its had a new clutch the original will be nearing the end of its life, but would have thought this would cause issues throughout the gears. I would probably try a gearbox oil change first if its not had one for a while though.
Just over 78k on the clock mate. It has exeedy clutch in there at the moment. Can you reccomend any gearbox oil?

On a separate question how much oil such the engine use? As i have heard the motor can be a little thirsty for it.
Old 04 December 2013, 11:40 PM
Rbon91
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drummerkev
Just over 78k on the clock mate. It has exeedy clutch in there at the moment. Can you reccomend any gearbox oil?

On a separate question how much oil such the engine use? As i have heard the motor can be a little thirsty for it.

speak to AS Performance will sort you out
just got full service kit off him with next day delivery
Old 04 December 2013, 11:45 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Try a semi synthetic 75w 90 oil if you think it might be synchromesh.
As to rate of oil consumption, mine probably drinks about a litre every 3 or so months, so not too bad, it's on nearly 100k but isn't really thrashed about much as the missus uses it as the daily driver, but it's only a WRX, not an STI
Old 04 December 2013, 11:45 PM
drummerkev
Scooby Regular

speak to AS Performance will sort you out
just got full service kit off him with next day delivery
How much did that set you back if you dont mind me asking mate?
Also what did it consist of?

The gearbox oil easy enough to change?
Old 04 December 2013, 11:46 PM
drummerkev
Scooby Regular

Try a semi synthetic 75w 90 oil if you think it might be synchromesh.
As to rate of oil consumption, mine probably drinks about a litre every 3 or so months, so not too bad, it's on nearly 100k but isn't really thrashed about much as the missus uses it as the daily driver, but it's only a WRX, not an STI
Right that makes me feel a little better as the guy said that he has used around 3 litres in around 7000 mile.
Old 04 December 2013, 11:49 PM
Rbon91
Scooby Regular

How much did that set you back if you dont mind me asking mate?
Also what did it consist of?

The gearbox oil easy enough to change?

gearbox oil
anti freeze
hight temp brake fluid
rear diff oil

all to be done over winter..
got the best stuff was about £100ish i think was gearbox oil that was expensive..

ross can do that for you no probs
Old 04 December 2013, 11:51 PM
drummerkev
Scooby Regular

gearbox oil
anti freeze
hight temp brake fluid
rear diff oil

all to be done over winter..
got the best stuff was about £100ish i think was gearbox oil that was expensive..

ross can do that for you no probs
Ill give him a call tomorrow Ryan and see if i can take it down at somepoint for him to have a look at and get quotes etc. :-)

Just want it sorting as im already in love with the car!

Just really hoping iv not been shafted?
Old 04 December 2013, 11:52 PM
Comboflip
Scooby Regular

If its on the original standard suspension then I would change them for a completely brand new set of bc coilovers .not much you can do if its a private sale as obviously you both agreed to the deal.dont think you have been ripped off pal, some subarus run better once warmed up properly and can be jerky when cold and damp.
Old 04 December 2013, 11:52 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Right that makes me feel a little better as the guy said that he has used around 3 litres in around 7000 mile.
That's around our cars annual mileage so sounds about the same oil consumption to ours.
Old 04 December 2013, 11:55 PM
drummerkev
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Comboflip
If its on the original standard suspension then I would change them for a completely brand new set of bc coilovers .not much you can do if its a private sale as obviously you both agreed to the deal.dont think you have been ripped off pal, some subarus run better once warmed up properly and can be jerky when cold and damp.
Its been doing it all the way back, 80 mile in total, so well and truly warmed up. Im just wondering if its the gearbox mount, or the engine mounts or what tbh, or maybe thats just the way the clutch is?

This is the one thing I hate about buying a new model of car you have never owned before. No matter how much research you do, when you first get it you know pretty much naff all about them
Old 05 December 2013, 12:08 AM
fella
Scooby Regular

with the clutch judder, does it happen when pulling off, or between gears as well?
Old 05 December 2013, 12:10 AM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

See the bits in bold lol

Right gents,

Picked my motor up this evening and noticed a few issues with it on the way home. Stuff i didnt pick up on during the test drive

EDIT... Car is 2003 STI in mica blue with the PPP pack on there.

EDIT... The car also is a little juddery, if that makes sense? so when you let of the throttle and then put it back on it judders a little it has exeedy clutch in there, maybe thats why? Could be the engine mounts maybe, cant think what else it would be?

Juddering - does it have a vta dumpvalve on it or std recirc? My bug felt like you were hitting a wall on gearchange, so i binned it off and blocked all holes etc

1. knocking coming from the rear of the car, i expect this to be a suspension bush, im hoping anyway... what else could it be?
Will be rear shocks, there is a mod to fit grease nipples, or buy new ones. Search on here

2. gear change from 4-5 is notchy when booting it, under normal driving it appears to be fine, any advice on this?

Is it a 6-speed with dccd? Sounds like syncro issue. You can do the uncle scotties cocktail - google it. But its about £80 for gearbox and rear diff oil. I have done this on mine as it has a bearing whine (5-speed box) it still has a whine lol

3. stone chipping is much worse than i remember, and i inspected it in the day as well.

Alloy bonnet? Mine is bad too lol

4. i need to test it properly and it could have been the camber of the road, but the brakes pull slighty to the right ( i think ) and it feels like they need bleeding.

Dont know, try on dead flat surface

5. couple of shopping trolley dings on the motor, im going to have these pulled out, but thought i would mention it anyway.

6. The motor needs a really decent machine polish. How much would this set me back?

Anything from £70 - £350

But on the plus sides. It pulls like a train, the interior is in great condition and i love it to bits.

Id get it on a rolling to road to make sure its all ok for piece of mind. Is it modded?

So the help i need is can anyone help me resolve these issues or point me in the right direction as to getting it sorted?

Im thinking of taking it to scoobyclinic this weekend and getting them to take a look at at and then getting all the jobs done there. What sort of prices would i be looking at for all the jobs to be completed?

I feel like a bit of a fool now if im honest, i paid just short of 6k for the car, but am now seriously worried i have been ripped off. I went and test drove a few and this by far was the best one... so i thought...

Price is about right i think

Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction?

So i think this is my list of things to do

Get gearbox checked out (i have heard it could be a syncro.... how much)
Get suspension checked out
Get stone chips sorted
Get the brakes looked at.
Get the minor dents sorted.
Get the car machine polished

I want it immaculate, and up to 'my' standards.

I just feel a bit of tit for not noticing these issues

Last edited by Fudgey; 05 December 2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05 December 2013, 12:11 AM
drummerkev
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fella
with the clutch judder, does it happen when pulling off, or between gears as well?
i wouldnt really say there was clutch judder, its more when you are on and off the throttle, the car lurches, had this issue with my pug and new mounts appeared to ease the problem.

It has the exeedy clutch on it, so the clutch appears to 'different' to a normal clutch, not heavy but very snappy, but im putting this down to it being a 'racing' clutch?
Old 05 December 2013, 12:16 AM
drummerkev
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fudgey
See the bits in bold lol
Cheers for that mate!

Its a 6 speed without DCCD. how much would it be to get the mesh sorted any ideas? I would assume its a box out job.

Yes it does have a BOV, unsure of make without looking though, yeah it does feel a bit like im hitting a wall everytime i change.

Car isnt modded, other than clutch BOV and PPP package.

Will search for the grease nipples now and see what i can find.
Old 05 December 2013, 12:17 AM
Comboflip
Scooby Regular

Sorry I meant the weather if its damp and cold it can affect the car-making it run rough ..your sti ppp is a excellent choice and once you get the problems out of the way then you will have a great capable car .
Old 05 December 2013, 12:17 AM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

My mistake, sorry jake.

Last edited by Fudgey; 05 December 2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05 December 2013, 12:24 AM
Comboflip
Scooby Regular

Sti ppp should be running super smooth- what type of fuel are you using and how long has the fuel been in the tank? have you filled up since owning the car?
Old 05 December 2013, 12:25 AM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

Try removing the dv then mate and blanking it all off and see how you go. Maybe try and get a std recirc as im sure they are cheap enough.

Synco is box out job, and wont be cheap. Api can do this for you, but if its only minor id try the heavy shockproof and syncromesh oil mix first as its the cheap option. You will be looking at circa 1k for a rebuild.
Old 05 December 2013, 12:28 AM
drummerkev
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Comboflip
Sti ppp should be running super smooth- what type of fuel are you using and how long has the fuel been in the tank? have you filled up since owning the car?
Picked it up this evening and filled her up to the brim on V power, prev owner always used Vpower as well. fuel would have been in there a maximum of 3 weeks, prior to me filling up today.
Old 05 December 2013, 12:32 AM
drummerkev
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fudgey
Try removing the dv then mate and blanking it all off and see how you go. Maybe try and get a std recirc as im sure they are cheap enough.

Synco is box out job, and wont be cheap. Api can do this for you, but if its only minor id try the heavy shockproof and syncromesh oil mix first as its the cheap option. You will be looking at circa 1k for a rebuild.
1k nice.... LOL, what would a rebuild include just out of interest any ideas?

What do you mean the the Oil mix mate, have i missed something, or just being 'special' and missing something?!

Quick Reply: Some Serious help needed