Insurance help, fraudulent claim

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2013, 12:57 PM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Removing thread

Resolved

Last edited by forgedmarco; 03 June 2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03 December 2013, 12:59 PM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Our* bloomin predictive txt
Old 03 December 2013, 01:09 PM
swaynie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you take any pictures and any other witnesses that can verify your cars were not damaged.
Old 03 December 2013, 01:32 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Hang on, the inspector said that your car was not in a collision and they still want to pay out?

I would be shouting 'fraud' from the roof tops at this point. Surely the insurance companies are used to this by now?

Also, what garage declared it as a right off? It could have been because of other reasons. Is there a report from said garage?

I would write a letter to your insurance company stating that they are going to aid a fraudulant claim if they pay out and that you catagorically do not accept any loss of no claims. There was no accident so if they think there was an accident, let them prove it.

Old 03 December 2013, 01:40 PM
scooby87
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
Hang on, the inspector said that your car was not in a collision and they still want to pay out?

I would be shouting 'fraud' from the roof tops at this point. Surely the insurance companies are used to this by now?

Also, what garage declared it as a right off? It could have been because of other reasons. Is there a report from said garage?

I would write a letter to your insurance company stating that they are going to aid a fraudulant claim if they pay out and that you catagorically do not accept any loss of no claims. There was no accident so if they think there was an accident, let them prove it.

Spot on right there ^^^^^

Some people really are scum trying this on!
Old 03 December 2013, 01:40 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It wouldn't be the MOT station that declared it a write off would it?
Old 03 December 2013, 02:17 PM
Lunchmoney
Scooby Regular

The inspecting engineer would have declared it a write off, not the garage. The garage would have given an estimate for repair work to the engineer, who then would have valued the car and when its found to be less than the repair - write off.

This would be what the insurance industry calls a "quantum dispute", or it would be if you accepted you made contact.
It does not necessarily make it fraud.

You need to make sure your insurance company are aware that you are stating that no contact was made at all. If you accept even the slightest touch happened then there is nothing you can do. It is very harsh, but if you even just touched the other car then they are entitled to have the bumpers checked and a minor scratch repaired or any brackets and holdings underneath repaired/replaced. And that will be more expensive than an old car is worth, hence write off.

Go back to your insurance co and reiterate that you didnt even touch the other car and that you are not involved. If you have already had your car inspected and the engineer has stated that your car was not involved in any incidents then it should be up to the other insurance company to prove you were involved.

I feel your pain as I have to deal with these sort of claims all the time (yes, I work for an evil insurance company in the claims dept). I would suggest you remain calm any time you talk to the insurance co as yelling or getting frustated at someone on the phone will not help your case, and will help the handlers understand that you can be a credible witness (yes you can be a "witness" involved in your own cases) and willing to assist in any action that may be deemed necessary.

Were there any witnesses? Not including anyone who was in either car?

Who are you insured with?
Old 03 December 2013, 02:46 PM
Donnie Brasco 46
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If there was no contact why did both parties stop and exchange details?

It is odd that she has got 'rid' of her car as without an engineers report there is no evidence of any damage. If she had a engineers report carried out before getting rid then it's another matter...

It's boils down to one persons word against another and odds on your insurers would rather pay out a few hundred quid for a write off than spend thousands taking it to court. Just be glad that no PI claim has come through
Old 03 December 2013, 02:57 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

How can the insurance pay out if she has got rid of the car? The car technically belongs to the insurance company once a claim is settled, seems a bit strange tbh
Old 03 December 2013, 05:56 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Just deny that you were even in the said place at said time and tell your insurance company that someones just trying it on
Old 03 December 2013, 06:00 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

In my experience, some insurance companies would rather pay out than dispute a claim.
After all, they can always get it back by reducing your ncd, can't they?
Old 03 December 2013, 06:15 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I am quite confident that any car written off by a Citroen Saxo would involve a written off Citroen Saxo!
Old 03 December 2013, 06:25 PM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy
I am quite confident that any car written off by a Citroen Saxo would involve a written off Citroen Saxo!
Spot on! Exactly my thoughts.
There were no pictures taken or witnesses
It was my wife with my 9 month old in the back she felt intimidated as there was 2 of them so just have her mobile number.
Her car had a report saying it was freshly damaged but no proof that it was our car.
The inspector said our car was untouched original citroen numberplate ect.
It annoys me that my insurance company 'covea' are willing to pay with no evidence I could just say someone hit me in my impreza and claim damages and injury and they'd just pay out? What a joke.
Old 03 December 2013, 06:58 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Yes, probably one of these numpties that think cos they pay so much for car insurance they should make a claim to get something back, probably doesn't even occur to them that they're the kind of people that make insurance expensive in the first place!

The reason I said what I did in my first post, about ten years ago my wife reversed our car at the time (Volvo S40) into a 6 or 7 year old Citroen AX outside her place of work.
There was not a scratch on the Volvo, the Citroen had a small ding on the front wing (between the door and wheel arch).
Wife knocked on owners door and told her, she wasn't bothered but her boyfriend kicked up a fuss. They took the car to a Citroen dealer about a mile away.
I then receive a quote through the door from the stealer.
Now, I know that the wings on those are plastic, and a bit of heat probably would have popped the dent out, it was only about the size of a golf ball.
The quote included;
New o/s/f wing
Respray bonnet, front wings, front bumper, o/s/f door
Four (yes 4!!!) new tyres
Set of new plastic wheel trims
Wheel alignment

The quote came to around £1500
Dent magician or some such probably would have charged £100 at the most.
Car was written off (I believe).
Old 03 December 2013, 07:29 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

had it years ago with the wife taxi driver, wife touches his towbar no damage to her fiesta 2 weeks later phone call from there insurers car what you hit is a right mess there was no damage to the taxi anyway a assesor was called out and said the wifes car could not have caused that amount off damage and put it down to fraudulent claim hewas well known for it he got a visit off me and some associates shortly after
Old 04 December 2013, 02:15 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

This type of situation happened with my daughter a couple of years back.

Waiting behind her 'friend' to get onto a main road. 'Friend' pulls off and then stops. Daughter touches the bumper. No probs - until 'friend' has her father interfere.

Whiplash etc. etc.

I took photos of daughter's car, clearly showing little damage (scratch on bumper).

Her insurance company said they were paying out, NCD affected etc.

Letter to said company stating that the damage was disputed, daughter was paying premium to Ins Co, so they had a duty of care to her, and if they rolled over and paid - and removed (part of) NCD a claim would be made against them.

As far as I know they paid the fraudulent claim.

But what I do know is that they never reduced my daughter's NCD.

You pay an Ins Co to take risks ON YOUR BEHALF.
If they fail to do so they have breached the contract.

NOTE - the policy will cater for claims where you are clearly (or found to be) at fault ie. they reserve the right to reduce your NCD.
However, you are paying them to protect you against claims either through liability or financially.
If they fail to take adequate measures to protect you from liability (such as rolling over) it could be argues that they haven't fulfilled their part of the bargain, and hence you can claim against them.

Remember, Insurance Underwriters (NOT brokers such as KM, AF etc) are 'employed' by you, to protect you.
Old 04 December 2013, 07:25 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mrs had a similar thing where no contact was made, numpty in a bmw tried to pass where 3 lanes go into 2 and ended up kerbing it and onto central reservation, but she being a decent sort stopped to see if he was ok and by doing so according to the insurance company she accepted some sort of liability and they coughed up even though no contact was made.

So be warned.
Old 04 December 2013, 09:32 AM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This isn't good if you witness an accident ahead of you and stop to offer assistance, phone police and God forbid an ambulance you could find yourself liable for a claim against you? all I can say is, Video Phones start recording before you get out of the car

Very sad state of affairs IMO
Old 04 December 2013, 10:39 AM
Lunchmoney
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve001
This isn't good if you witness an accident ahead of you and stop to offer assistance, phone police and God forbid an ambulance you could find yourself liable for a claim against you? all I can say is, Video Phones start recording before you get out of the car

Very sad state of affairs IMO
It is a sorry cycle that we are in. Car insurance goes up due to more claims, so more people put in claims to cover their car insurance.

On a more serious note, this wont help with the OP, but I'd suggest everyone getting HD cameras fitted to the front and rear of your cars. It is an absolute saviour in cases like this:
"I didnt make contact and here's the video evidence to prove it."

Plus you can create fun you tube videos of all the idiot drivers you see everyday

Last edited by Lunchmoney; 04 December 2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04 December 2013, 10:44 AM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

I agree HD cameras BUT NOT the spy in the car insurance one's

Can't be that expensive these days
Old 04 December 2013, 10:59 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

The problem is that it costs the insurers so much to fight the claim that it's cheaper to just pay out.

More insurers are starting to fight these kind of claims, but a lot will take the hit to avoid the costs.
Old 04 December 2013, 11:14 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by forgedmarco
My wife was driving her saxo and a woman slammed on for no reason as she was just about to turn into a corner. My wife slammed on too and they didn't touch, they both got out and said there was no damage but that the woman would get the car checked out as mot coming???
This si the bit I don't get. If they didn't touch why woud she have the car checked out and why would they exchange details? I don't think we are in possoesson of the full facts here!
Old 04 December 2013, 11:22 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by f1_fan
This si the bit I don't get. If they didn't touch why woud she have the car checked out and why would they exchange details? I don't think we are in possoesson of the full facts here!
That bit you mention doesn't make sense. If no contact then why stop?!
Old 04 December 2013, 11:23 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Maybe, maybe not.
Cash for crash that didn't quite work so thought they would try it on anyway perhaps.

Personally if there had been no contact and they asked me for my details I would have told them to get the ****!
Old 04 December 2013, 12:04 PM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

They didn't exchange details as such! My wife got out to see what the woman was playing at! The woman agreed it was her fault and then her fella got out, my wife felt intimidated with my 9 month old in the car so just have her mobile number so she could get out of there!
Old 04 December 2013, 12:09 PM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
The problem is that it costs the insurers so much to fight the claim that it's cheaper to just pay out.

More insurers are starting to fight these kind of claims, but a lot will take the hit to avoid the costs.
Hi mate what do you think I should say to the insurance company? Like I said our insurance inspector said there was no way our car caused the damaged they were claiming and they also had a tow bar. A saxo against a tow bar and no damage to the saxo WHATSOEVER It would smashed that cheap piece of plastic right in.

Cheers Marc
Old 04 December 2013, 12:21 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

All you can do is persist that there was no collision and that you accept no responsibility for any damage that the 3rd party is claiming. You have got the insurers inspector on your side by the sound of things so that's a positive.
Old 04 December 2013, 01:32 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by forgedmarco
Hi mate what do you think I should say to the insurance company? Like I said our insurance inspector said there was no way our car caused the damaged they were claiming and they also had a tow bar. A saxo against a tow bar and no damage to the saxo WHATSOEVER It would smashed that cheap piece of plastic right in.

Cheers Marc
Tell the insurers as much as you can, and make sure you reply to any letters or phone calls from them. It's amazing how many people ignore letters then act suprised when their insurers have to pay out.

Hopefully you're with an insurer who'll fight the claim and not roll over.
Old 04 December 2013, 02:18 PM
nyscooby
Scooby Regular

Why have the police not been involved? Or did i miss that?
Old 04 December 2013, 02:22 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by nyscooby
Why have the police not been involved? Or did i miss that?
The Police would only get involved if there was an injury at the 'accident'

If fraud is suspected the insurers would deal with the Police, as many insurers have anti-fraud departments now.

Quick Reply: Insurance help, fraudulent claim