Sponsored by:

Type R Clutch - Heeeelp!

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2001, 09:14 PM
Ross Taylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Has anyone experienced problems with clutch slip in an STI / Type R?

It seems to be starting to happen in my 98 car...1st 2nd and 3rd gear hard acceleration results in a limited amount of thrust in comparison to previously...Especially around 4000rpm and above...Even bounced it off the limiter in 3rd, which is an area of the rev counter I would never have contempleted going near before... 4th and 5th gear it still pulls like billyo...

Anyone had similar problems?

Thanks,

Ross.
Old 27 April 2001, 09:31 PM
ROBERT BARNES
Scooby Regular

Sounds like one of the following,start of a weak presure plate,worn out friction plate,or a sticky/slow releasing clutch slave cylinder,the first two resulting in a new clutch shortly,the clutch pedal is returning all the way up isn't it as they seem to have a tendency to stick on the way back up giving the same problem ? and if the car has more than 300bhp its on a borrowed life anyway as they are not the strongest.if you have strong legs its time to get a uprated clutch or a 22b one,hope this helps
Old 27 April 2001, 09:40 PM
Ross Taylor
Scooby Regular

Thanks Robert

Yep it does have a bit more than 300bhp, so I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade the clutch...

As for that sticky pedal thing, do they all do that!!?? I cr*ped myself the first time it happened...now I just hook my shoe under it, and ping it back up!
Old 27 April 2001, 09:56 PM
Clarey
Scooby Regular

Re: Sticky pedal thing...

All the ones with a knackered clutch probably do this

Time for a paddle clutch.

Phil.
Old 27 April 2001, 10:15 PM
smallfin
Scooby Regular

hi robert
are you saying a 22b clutch is stronger than a standard sti one cos i'm having similar probs
any info?
andy
Old 27 April 2001, 10:38 PM
ROBERT BARNES
Scooby Regular

Smile

Smallfin the 22b clutch is very similar to the STI one but from what i can remember the plate spring rate is different, and has more clamping force on to the flywheel, hence capable of transmitting more power without any slip,the only down side is the pedal force to disengage the clutch is also higher, and you could end up with a calf like stallone after a lot of stop start driving,and they tend to be a bit sharper when letting the clutch out,its a fine line between living with a heavy duty/22b clutch or replacing the standard STI one's more regualar, in trade for the less weighty foot pedal,especally if your other half drives the car and is small and petete,i will try and find out some more info from the lad who had his 22b as he did a modifacation to his clutch but im sure he fitted the STI one as the 22b one was too agressive for his wife to cope with(she could only just press the pedal to the floor but she was only 5ft and 7 stone so ?)just a couple more things to think about before spending your hard earned money....

[This message has been edited by ROBERT BARNES (edited 27 April 2001).]
Old 27 April 2001, 10:43 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I had the original (Exedy) clutch in my 22b replaced with the AP racing clutch which was developed from a TVR clutch for the 22B. It's fantastic, light and easy to use. Original clutch was a bitch and lasted 7.5k miles only.
chuck
Old 27 April 2001, 10:51 PM
smallfin
Scooby Regular

robert,
ive had the car 14 months from new and its just coming up for its 66k service,most of my drivings motorway,had the clutch changed at 45k cos it kept sticking down every time i changed aboove 5000 rpm
when they changed it after several attempts at sorting it out they said it wasnt on its last legs!
its been ok for about 20k but its started sticking again so will probably need changing soon i dont mind paying extra if its a better clutch(after all the company's paying!he he)
cheers
andy
Old 27 April 2001, 10:53 PM
smallfin
Scooby Regular

forgot to say the wife can stick to her 3 series(after all it is a womans car)
Old 28 April 2001, 02:20 PM
Ross Taylor
Scooby Regular

Thanks again for the info Robert...

It suddenly seemed all too familiar when Andy mentioned the fact that the clutch sticks when changing up after 5000rpm...
Mines has just hit the 45k mark too...

Luckily my car is just a toy (I've got another daily driver), so I'm contemplating the 22B clutch...Anyone have any idea what the cost implications might be?

[This message has been edited by Ross Taylor (edited 28 April 2001).]
Old 28 April 2001, 07:27 PM
Fullonloon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Old 29 April 2001, 10:57 AM
Steve Lawson
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Sorry to dissapoint you guys but if you were to fit a 22B clutch you would also need the flywheel from the same.
Best option would be to fit something like a AP organic clutch,I think they are rated to 340BHP could be wrong tho.But it does give plenty of scope for further tuning.
Try getting a 22B flywheel out of IM without a 22b chassis number .

Regards

Steve
Old 29 April 2001, 02:26 PM
Ross Taylor
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks Steve,

I recieved an e-mail offline , outlining the implications and costs of the AP item, so I'm seriously considering going that route...

The P1 wheels will just have to wait for now...

Thanks for all the replies!

Ross.
Old 29 April 2001, 06:47 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Hi all
i'm in need of a new clutch and was wondering on the price difference fitted of the different types. Are the aftermarket uprated clutches much more than the origional dealer fit?
Cheers

Robby