Sponsored by:

Fast 'n' Furious CCC day at Castle Coombe

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2001, 07:26 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I've just returned from a generally great day at Castle Coombe (as usual!).

Some great cars. Great grub and entertainment on the circuit.

Sour notes for me though, were the way in which I feel all the drivers were put at great risk!! By the following:

1. Too many cars on circuit at once. 10 or 15 is enough - It was nearer 30, surely!

2. Although it's good to see a mix of cars, there were too many disparities in speed and ability.

3. Lack of driver briefings.

4. T*ssers playing to the spectators and putting everyone else at risk.

5. Lack of marshalls - Quarry Corner - Basically a glorified bloody big hairpin. I watched in horror as a westfield spun out and ended up facing the wrong way, stuck in the middle of the track...In the next instant, these poor guys are set upon by umpty-million other cars fighting for the same square inch of circuit!!! Some dick-head never saw them, and whilst other drivers were slowing up he thought he'd overtake THEM! God only knows how he missed the westfield he was suddenly headed for...WHY WERE THERE NO MARSHALLS AT QUARRY TO INDICATE DANGER WITH A YELLOW FLAG ???

I know how track-days work. I've spectated, and driven too. This aint it - I was shocked. So for all those going to the Rally Action Day make it plain you want someone there.

I'd like to nod " respec' " to those brave scoob drivers that ventured out onto the circuit - You lot all behaved impeccably, I'm delighted to say. You showed what our cars can do.

I'd also like to say hello to the convoy we "met" on our way down. RS500, Rover SD1 Vitesse, Import CRX Del-Sol, Porsche 911 Turbo, Audi Quattro, Saxo VT?

Seeya all at the Rally Action Day.

(Edited for full-on Smiley-effect... )

[This message has been edited by Squizz (edited 28 April 2001).]
Old 28 April 2001, 07:40 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I was there, particularly enjoyed the bacon and cheese garlic baguettes mmm lovely.

I took my helmet but there was no way I was going out on that circuit today. I really wanted to drive Castle Coombe as I've not driven it before - but with that lot on track - no way !!

My observations

1) Everyone is let out on track at the same time (ie as though it was a race) so instead of people being staggered round the track they go round in a big clump

2) Zero track etiquete, I saw people undertaking on corners / out braking each other. I even saw 3 cars going round quarry right next to each other !!

I don't think there was any track tuition, some appeared not too even know what the cones were there for.

Still, all that said I didn't see any bad smashes, a fair few offs which could have been nasty. I think all these pay £15 get 5 laps days are like this to be honest, and they've been being run for years.

Too all the guys that went out - you are a lot braver than me lads !!

Gary
Old 28 April 2001, 08:04 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Sounds like Cadwell to be honest. The etiquette there was the worst I've ever seen.
Only 12 cars are allowed out at a time at the Rally Day next weekend, so this shouldn't happen there.

Stef.
Old 28 April 2001, 08:16 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Question

Stef,
Are passengers allowed on the 5th May? if so whats the Score.

Squizz,
Bring your helmet on the 5th May if your not doing it as I saw your post about the backend going light and spinning you can give me a bit of tutition

Tony

Old 28 April 2001, 10:12 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

sounds familar, there are way too many cars out on the track at the ccc days, when i first went out about 7 years ago there were only 10 cars at a time, i was there at the kitcar day last year when a westfield span in front of me at quarry, steered left , just missed him, other than that a good day today, wouldnt take my scoob out either
mark
Old 28 April 2001, 10:13 PM
PAS
Scooby Regular

I WAS OUT ON TRACK TODAY ALTHOUGH NOT IN SCOOB WEARING OF CRASH HATS WAS NOT COMPULSORY WE DID
TRACK BEHAVIOUR WAS QUITE BAD SCOOBS AOK ONE BLACK WRX SPUN INFRONT OF US ON VIDEO
YES TO MANY CARS ON TRACK BUT STILL A GOOD DAY AND EXCELLENT TRACK
PAUL SILVER SCOOB
Old 28 April 2001, 11:29 PM
GP
Scooby Regular

I was out there too (bright yellow mk2 astra) - I think they were letting on 35 cars at a time! - totally agree about the huge range of capabilities of both cars and drivers - made for some <I>very</I> hairy action - I would <B>not</B> recommend a CCC day for first timers !!

of the Scoobs, I particularly liked the understated clean black WRX with the black wheels with red rims - v.nice mr owner if you're reading this.

Old 29 April 2001, 07:02 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Passengers are allowed next week, and a £5 charge is payable on the day.

Stef.