Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 sti bouncy

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2013, 07:39 AM
Picklemaroo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I have searched on here about the bouncy suspension but mine has only recently started and is more clear as only started after changing wheels . My car has prodrive springs and did have 17" enkei wheels . Since changing wheels to genuine 18" pff7 and goodyear eagle f1 the car has now got bouncy and there is creaking noises going over bumps - any ideas to help improve this? The rear struts were greased last year. There is no knocking at the moment only creaking but I don't like the extra bouncy ride either! I want to sort the ride out has have a bit of bad lower back which is not doing it much good!

ok so im expecting comments about having bigger wheels doh as below but surely you can have the larger wheels without such a bouncy ride?

Last edited by Picklemaroo; 02 September 2013 at 08:36 AM. Reason: unclear
Old 02 September 2013, 08:10 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seriously???

you have put bigger wheels with lower profile tyres on and wonder why the ride has changed?

live with it or put the 17s back on
Old 02 September 2013, 08:27 AM
Picklemaroo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
seriously???

you have put bigger wheels with lower profile tyres on and wonder why the ride has changed?

live with it or put the 17s back on
yes I did expect the ride to change and this kind of comment but want to know whether I can reduce the bouncy ride with a different setup? Also the creaking indicates there is something wrong as well
Old 02 September 2013, 08:34 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Should have bought a WRX PPP mate, much nicer suspension and faster than an STI.

Joking aside, the STI ride is very crashy and bumpy(one of the many reasons I didn't get one) and the bigger profile tyres that you had before probably helped smooth that out a bit.

Do you know what your spring rates are? I run 18's on my WRX and they're not bouncy at all, think I have after market springs too but not 100% sure what they are, I also read recently that the Eibach springs can give some strange characteristics as they are a progressive spring and only come into their own once pressing on.

Two choices by the sounds of it, change the springs for some apex ones which are cheaper than the eibach fortunately, or go back to 17's.

A lot of guys run the 17's because of this especially when on coilovers as there is no flex in the side walls on 18's and it can make for a choppy/skippy ride, as I discovered on my classic type r with 18's and a 40 profile tyre, but the softer suspension of the WRX compensates for this, so end up in a similar place.

It's a balancing act "every action has an equal and opposite reaction" you'll just have to fine tune it to compensate for the wheels, wallet out time again.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 02 September 2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02 September 2013, 08:38 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

read that wrong about the springs but I believe the prodrive ones were eibach, so the theory is still sound.
Old 02 September 2013, 08:40 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

if the ride was fine on 17s and now its not on 18's surely its obvious where the problem lies.

a lot of people don't run 18s on newage cars due to the problems discussed above.

either have a comfortable ride or look good on big wheels, the choice is yours
Old 02 September 2013, 08:40 AM
Picklemaroo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Should have bought a WRX PPP mate, much nicer suspension and faster than an STI.

Joking aside, the STI ride is very crashy and bumpy and the bigger profile tyres that you had before probably helped smooth that out a bit.

Do you know what your spring rates are? I run 18's on my WRX and they're not bouncy at all, think I have after market springs too but not 100% sure what they are, I also read recently that the Eibach springs can give some strange characteristics as they are a progressive spring and only come into their own once pressing on.

Two choices by the sounds of it, change the springs for some apex ones which are cheaper than the eibach fortunately, or go back to 17's.

A lot of guys run the 17's because of this especially when on coilovers as there is no flex in the side walls on 18's and it can make for a choppy/skippy ride, as I discovered on my classic type r with 18's and a 40 profile tyre, but the softer suspension of the WRX compensates for this, so end up in a similar place.

It's a balancing act "every action has an equal and opposite reaction" you'll just have to fine tune it to compensate for the wheels, wallet out time again.
cheers Ditch - a helpful post

the car has prodrive springs and original shocks on it - you are right about the compromise or the need to spend more money when you change one thing which knocks other out. I still have the enkei wheels so may change back but will look at options first as really like the pff7 but not enough to do my back in!
Old 02 September 2013, 08:45 AM
Picklemaroo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
if the ride was fine on 17s and now its not on 18's surely its obvious where the problem lies.

a lot of people don't run 18s on newage cars due to the problems discussed above.

either have a comfortable ride or look good on big wheels, the choice is yours
that's exactly what I need to understand - many do run 18" wheels so is it expected to have a bouncy ride then? Or can changes be made to compensate - if not then yes I will change back as I won't compromise ride quality over looks. Will get suspension checked over at scoobyclinic as well but yes the problem has been caused by bigger wheels but its whether this can be sorted.
Old 02 September 2013, 08:47 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

no matter what you do the car will ride better on 17s, many do run 18s for looks or to accommodate bigger brakes.
but also many run 17s as the ride is far better.
Old 02 September 2013, 08:51 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Do you mean bouncy or harsh?
I suspect the latter, and they're not really the same.
Tyres form a big part of your suspension and reducing suspension travel, such as by fitting lower profile tyres, could well make the suspension feel harsh.
Old 02 September 2013, 09:04 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

My old WRX saloon that a mate bought off me and fitted eibach coilovers with the softest spring rate he could get was horrendous around town, put me off coilovers for life and that was with 17's so god knows what all these cars running firmer ones and 18's drive like, must be a bloody awful ride on anything but the smoothest of tarmac.

I'd say try and bum a ride in a few cars with different set ups before you get your wedge out again and in the mean time re fit the 17's, before you lose all your fillings and start p1ssing blood.
Old 02 September 2013, 09:14 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

I think softer springs are going to be your only option if you want to keep the 18's.

Kev and the lads at the clinic should have some suggestions, there is also a highly rated suspension guru in your neck of the woods that's doing a lot of the big boys suspension set ups but I cant remember the name off the top of my head, give bannysti a pm and he should be able to put you in touch.
Old 02 September 2013, 09:25 AM
Picklemaroo
Scooby Regular

I think softer springs are going to be your only option if you want to keep the 18's.

Kev and the lads at the clinic should have some suggestions, there is also a highly rated suspension guru in your neck of the woods that's doing a lot of the big boys suspension set ups but I cant remember the name off the top of my head, give bannysti a pm and he should be able to put you in touch.

cheers Ditch - will do
Old 02 September 2013, 09:26 AM
Fai17
Scooby Regular

You talking about chevron?

Try putting the 17s back on and see if that sorts it.
If it does then that your problem.
Old 02 September 2013, 09:29 AM
Picklemaroo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You
Do you mean bouncy or harsh?
I suspect the latter, and they're not really the same.
Tyres form a big part of your suspension and reducing suspension travel, such as by fitting lower profile tyres, could well make the suspension feel harsh.

definitely bouncy...
Old 02 September 2013, 09:39 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by Fai17
You talking about chevron?
Yep that's them, chevron motorsport.
Old 02 September 2013, 09:46 AM
Picklemaroo
Scooby Regular

[quote=ditchmyster;11197033]

Yep that's them, chevron motorsport.
Yep Banny kindly sent me pm

not quite local to me though
Old 02 September 2013, 10:33 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

STi's and MY05+ WRX's are bouncy due to the suspension set up

This will be exacerbated by the 18's but not caused by the 18's

I didn't think the Prodrive springs were that great tbh

The only thing that reduced the transmission of the bounce in my MY06 STi was to remove the C-section subframe that the undertray pins to The reason this works is that it removes the bridge between the nose and the body of the car.

It shouldn't really be a problem with the right wheel and tyre combo, and I would have gone for a Tein spring or a Whiteline spring rather than the PD one.
Old 02 September 2013, 11:03 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Picklemaroo
...but I don't like the extra bouncy ride...
I thought you loved a bouncy ride

Not necessarily sure I agree with comments about coilovers. Yes if you fit Teins or BCs whatever it can be harsh but they are track focussed parts that people happen to fit to their road cars. Mine runs on a modified system (admittedly developed for the car and fitted as standard for the model) and despite being lower than a boggo STi by 15mm and running 18" wheels it runs smoother than standard by some distance. There is still room on the standard setup to adjust them quite a lot softer.

The solution will be in the setup and I suspect the detail. I agree they can be a little bouncy but the Prodrive springs are pretty good IMO and the cars I've driven with springs and 18" wheels have ridden well, I reckon it might be the tyres.

(I had the same problem with the Golf R32, run it on the OEM Dunlops and it sucks, switch to Hankooks and it's fine).

Welcome to the world of modding by the way, you'll never stop tinkering with that car lol.

Last edited by thenewgalaxy; 02 September 2013 at 11:09 AM. Reason: EFA
Old 02 September 2013, 11:09 AM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Checked tyre pressures?
Old 02 September 2013, 11:10 AM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Creaking could be ARB bushes, easy enough job to re grease them.
Old 02 September 2013, 11:16 AM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ +1 mine is doing it at the moment just haven't got round to regreasing them yet.
Old 02 September 2013, 11:26 AM
Picklemaroo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fonzey
Checked tyre pressures?
Very good point, my garage wasn't sure on right tyre pressure when he fitted them what's the right pressure for goodyear eagle f1 225/40/18?
Old 02 September 2013, 11:27 AM
Picklemaroo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fonzey
Creaking could be ARB bushes, easy enough job to re grease them.
Cheers will get them checked out, now booked into scoobyclinic next thurs for remap etc!
Old 02 September 2013, 11:39 AM
Picklemaroo
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
I thought you loved a bouncy ride

Not necessarily sure I agree with comments about coilovers. Yes if you fit Teins or BCs whatever it can be harsh but they are track focussed parts that people happen to fit to their road cars. Mine runs on a modified system (admittedly developed for the car and fitted as standard for the model) and despite being lower than a boggo STi by 15mm and running 18" wheels it runs smoother than standard by some distance. There is still room on the standard setup to adjust them quite a lot softer.

The solution will be in the setup and I suspect the detail. I agree they can be a little bouncy but the Prodrive springs are pretty good IMO and the cars I've driven with springs and 18" wheels have ridden well, I reckon it might be the tyres.

(I had the same problem with the Golf R32, run it on the OEM Dunlops and it sucks, switch to Hankooks and it's fine).

Welcome to the world of modding by the way, you'll never stop tinkering with that car lol.
bouncey ride indeed but not in a car - ha ha
Old 02 September 2013, 11:45 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Picklemaroo
Very good point, my garage wasn't sure on right tyre pressure when he fitted them what's the right pressure for goodyear eagle f1 225/40/18?
I'm running the same tyre (presume it's the Asymmetric 2) I run 32psi all round and find it fine. I'm also running on AST coilovers and find the ride perfectly acceptable. Yes it's hard but not harsh. My coilovers could probably do with a refurb and all the bushes are probably past their best. It may be a subjective thing. That said bouncy usually points to mismatched spring and damper rates.
Old 02 September 2013, 11:50 AM
Picklemaroo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
I'm running the same tyre (presume it's the Asymmetric 2) I run 32psi all round and find it fine. I'm also running on AST coilovers and find the ride perfectly acceptable. Yes it's hard but not harsh. My coilovers could probably do with a refurb and all the bushes are probably past their best. It may be a subjective thing. That said bouncy usually points to mismatched spring and damper rates.

yes subjective is spot on - doesn't feel harsh just too much bounce

yes I have the asymmetric 2 - garage set them at 30psi so will look into changing pressure
Old 02 September 2013, 04:31 PM
Picklemaroo
Scooby Regular

Well garage said they were 30 but actually 33 all round, lowered to 32 and I noticed the difference immediately - such small psi make such a difference ! Cheers fonzey . Definite improvement
Old 02 September 2013, 04:46 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

I would be inclined to drop to thirty and see if that is any better.
Old 02 September 2013, 04:50 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Picklemaroo;11197037]

Yep Banny kindly sent me pm

not quite local to me though
But it will be well worth the trip.

Quick Reply: 05 sti bouncy