Forge Motorsport VTA Dump Valve

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2013, 08:56 PM
PrimeKos
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forge Motorsport VTA Dump Valve

Guys, apologies for this stupid question;

Just recently had my GB270 mapped and a forged rebuild done. I am thinking about getting a forge Motorsport VTA and just want know if by doing this will it impact the existing map in anyway?
Old 12 August 2013, 09:00 PM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PrimeKos
Guys, apologies for this stupid question;

Just recently had my GB270 mapped and a forged rebuild done. I am thinking about getting a forge Motorsport VTA and just want know if by doing this will it impact the existing map in anyway?
Are you running a top mount or front mount Intercooler?

Cheers Iain
Old 12 August 2013, 09:04 PM
PrimeKos
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big 'D'
Are you running a top mount or front mount Intercooler?

Cheers Iain
It's the standard TMIC
Old 12 August 2013, 09:15 PM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

It's the standard TMIC
If you opt to go with the forge VTA, they are very good units and are quite tuneable. What I would suggest is that how it comes off the shelf it will be far too soft a setup and will probably cause low down running issues and the usual rich popping and banging on the down shifts. However if you play with the spring settings you will be able to set the unit to match your car. I have used forge actuators and VTA setups not only on my cars but on various other scoobs too, for years now with great results, more so on front mounted intercooler setups. There is still a lot of negative feeling surrounding the VTA not just because of the noise but also various running negatives.

Ultimately the choice is yours
Old 12 August 2013, 09:18 PM
PrimeKos
Scooby Regular

If you opt to go with the forge VTA, they are very good units and are quite tuneable. What I would suggest is that how it comes off the shelf it will be far too soft a setup and will probably cause low down running issues and the usual rich popping and banging on the down shifts. However if you play with the spring settings you will be able to set the unit to match your car. I have used forge actuators and VTA setups not only on my cars but on various other scoobs too, for years now with great results, more so on front mounted intercooler setups. There is still a lot of negative feeling surrounding the VTA not just because of the noise but also various running negatives.

Ultimately the choice is yours
Thanks for the feedback, my major concern was installing it and having it cause a catastrophic failure of some sort, just had my car rebuilt and remapped so don't want to stuff about with an upgraded that could cause issues.
Old 12 August 2013, 09:44 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Only run a VTA if you are running MAFless & it's mapped for, otherwise you are better with a recuirc dump valve. I ran a forge VTA & it was great on a MAFless set up, but lots of people have had problems & hate them. I now run no dump valve atall & it's better still, but you need a strong turbo to do it.
Old 12 August 2013, 09:50 PM
PrimeKos
Scooby Regular

I will just give it a miss I think, dose not sound like it is worth the risk. I only considered it as I was told that the Forge Motorsport stuff is very good quality and would be an ideal choice if considered.
Old 12 August 2013, 10:25 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

I will just give it a miss I think, dose not sound like it is worth the risk. I only considered it as I was told that the Forge Motorsport stuff is very good quality and would be an ideal choice if considered.
If you want a VTA the Forge is one of the best, but only on a MAFless setup.
Old 12 August 2013, 11:07 PM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RICHARD J
If you want a VTA the Forge is one of the best, but only on a MAFless setup.
Why only on maf less?

Cheers Iain
Old 12 August 2013, 11:24 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Why only on maf less?

Cheers Iain
Because it dumps air that has been metered by the MAF.
Old 13 August 2013, 10:13 AM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Because it dumps air that has been metered by the MAF.
Interesting statement, however even with a recirc not all of the air that is dumped back into the intake is used especially with a FMIC some of the air escapes to atmosphere through the intake. With a VTA the main issue is that they tend to come set far too soft and will dump ALL the pressure in the charge system very quickly, I have found that if setup correctly the VTA is a fantastic addition to any setup and can vastly improve acceleration through the gears with no running/idle/rich fuelling/boost leak issues even on MAF cars.

There are a few members on here that I have setup Forge VTA valves for and they were all very surprised and pleased with the results.

Cheers Iain
Old 13 August 2013, 11:21 AM
PrimeKos
Scooby Regular

Interesting statement, however even with a recirc not all of the air that is dumped back into the intake is used especially with a FMIC some of the air escapes to atmosphere through the intake. With a VTA the main issue is that they tend to come set far too soft and will dump ALL the pressure in the charge system very quickly, I have found that if setup correctly the VTA is a fantastic addition to any setup and can vastly improve acceleration through the gears with no running/idle/rich fuelling/boost leak issues even on MAF cars.

There are a few members on here that I have setup Forge VTA valves for and they were all very surprised and pleased with the results.

Cheers Iain
Very interesting feedback that. I guess as stated previoulsy its all about personal choice and wither or not the owner is open to the potential risks that could follow.

If my my motor wasnt recently built and remapped, I would of been tempted, just think the potential risk outways the benefits (if any)
Old 13 August 2013, 03:13 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Cheers Iain
Are you saying that a VTA can vastly improve a cars performance?

Really??
Old 13 August 2013, 03:51 PM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
Are you saying that a VTA can vastly improve a cars performance?

Really??
No BHP or Torque gains, however the overall acceleration can be greatly improved through the gears with a good VTA setup. It is entirely up to you what you believe and I am certainly not going to force anyone to take onboard what I am saying, but what I have seen with my few years of playing with VTA setups mainly using the Forge 4010 DV on front mounted intercoolers is that it does vastly improve a cars acceleration performance through the gears. Please dont take my word for it there are a few on here that have let me setup their cars and were very surprised and pleased with the results, each to their own. I have spent alot of time looking into this and all I can say is that it definately works and even on cars running MAF sensor. Infact I have setup more with MAF than without.

Cheers Iain
Old 13 August 2013, 09:41 PM
Pez
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've had my hawk set up by Iain using the Forge VTA and I can honestly say I've never had a issue with it at all, nor on my previous set up... And also on the missus classic STI. No running issues, all with the MAF in place.

PrimeKos if you're ever up Wiltshire way give me a shout and I'd happily take you out and show you what a well set up VTA can do, acceleration is just ongoing even between gear changes
Old 13 August 2013, 09:42 PM
PrimeKos
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate, might just do that