Sponsored by:

When does it become not what it was

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2013, 06:05 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When does it become not what it was

Hopefully not a daft question, if for example you have an S202 like me, at what point do the mods make it not an S202. I know 53 and Cannon Fodder are and have imported standard cars but how far do you go before its not what it was, wheels, turbo, remap, or just a gear ****.

I suppose it goes for all the limited edition cars such as P1' RB5' WR1 etc.

Andy
Old 12 August 2013, 07:35 PM
BRAVEHEART_STI
Scooby Regular

thats really irelevant , it will and always will be an s202 , unless you physicaly change the id of the car by resheling etc
Old 12 August 2013, 07:37 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't agree, having seen your s202 when the previous owner had it id say its been devalued
an s202 was a rare and limited edition model that should stay that way.
if you want to extensively mod an impreza a run of the mill sti is what you should do it too.

im not saying the car is a bad car as its really not, but its an s202 and shouldn't have fmic etc etc

Last edited by tubbytommy; 12 August 2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12 August 2013, 07:44 PM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

I agree it should stay as came from factory will be worth a lot more this way in the future
Old 12 August 2013, 07:45 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyBaker
Hopefully not a daft question, if for example you have an S202 like me, at what point do the mods make it not an S202. I know 53 and Cannon Fodder are and have imported standard cars but how far do you go before its not what it was, wheels, turbo, remap, or just a gear ****.

Andy
My definition is that as soon as any amendment is done that causes it to deviate from the original spec of any of that model then it's non-standard.

Eg respray a white blob STi black and that's OK, because they did black blob STi's.
Stick equal length headers, uprate turbo etc. etc. and it's not a standard one.
Or respray a WR1 WRC blue.........

Basically the same reason why Insurance Companies ask for mods.

My T20's been remapped (no mods) and that's it. Nothing else, otherwise it would become a unique T20 'LWC'.
I'm not a renowned Subaru redesigner so instantly all the 'value' has gone (notwithstanding having one of the 'big names' doing the mods).
Old 12 August 2013, 07:48 PM
Notey
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
I don't agree, having seen your s202 when the previous owner had it id say its been devalued
an s202 was a rare and limited edition model that should stay that way.
if you want to extensively mod an impreza a run of the mill sti is what you should do it too.

im not saying the car is a bad car as its really not, but its an s202 and shouldn't have fmic etc etc
As a special edition owner myself, I agree. If you plan on making a load of mods or changes to a car then just get a standard model WRX/STI etc.

In my own opinion these special/limited editions should be kept as standard as possible without being ruined and turned into what could at the end of the day be any other scooby out there, but that's just my 2 cents.
Old 12 August 2013, 08:16 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

I knew I'd regret asking
Old 12 August 2013, 08:41 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Leave it well alone! I'm sure others agree that an original and unmolested example will always be far more desirable than one that's been messed about with. Cars like the S202 will only appreciate but not if they've been modified.
Old 12 August 2013, 08:45 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

You just need to look at the 22b market now, the unmolested ones fetch SO much more money which probably should say alot.

It's not to say the non standard cars are bad though.
Old 12 August 2013, 11:55 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

S202 is just a number, a great car is a great car whatever it's origins

Value, integrity, factory spec etc ... all valid points but I intend to enjoy my car in the here and now regardless of preservation and future values.

Mintness is important to me and I'm proud to own a rare coverted car like the S202. However it was built for a purpose and that is to be enjoyed and driven hard and fast

I fully intend to upgrade the bushings that STi missed, prop busings, pitchstop, engine mounts, gearbox mounts, outrigger bushes, shifter bushings, roll centre kit, front and rear strut braces, steering rack bushes, diff lock brace, remap, fuel pump, cosworth thermostat, alignment, tyres... the list goes on...

Of course you won't see any of this

My car also comes with a full set of Ohlins racing coilovers which cost half the price of the car in Japan this doesn't make it any less of an S202

And shock horror the car will be tracked on the new AD08R's garnishing the Rays and BBS wheels I've got coming

I have to admit I thought Kas' car was a bit of a baststardisation of a great model, but on reflection that's a bit harsh when actually all what was done is to make a great car even better and more in keeping with what he wanted from an Impreza

Andy, your car is great, visually there's loads you can do to make it more true to the S202ness people like, but you'd be mad to bow down and try and rectify the performance side as it would be a step backwards

A well modded car is a well modded car, enjoy it and stop worrying about acceptance and peoples expectations of what an S202 should be

Hope that helps
Old 13 August 2013, 12:25 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyBaker

Andy
You should be ashamed of yourself driving around in it......

So do the right thing, give it to me
Old 13 August 2013, 12:29 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53

Value, integrity, factory spec etc ... all valid points but I intend to enjoy my car in the here and now regardless of preservation and future values.

Mintness is important to me and I'm proud to own a rare coverted car like the S202. However it was built for a purpose and that is to be enjoyed and driven hard and fast

I fully intend to upgrade the bushings that STi missed, prop busings, pitchstop, engine mounts, gearbox mounts, outrigger bushes, shifter bushings, roll centre kit, front and rear strut braces, steering rack bushes, diff lock brace, remap, fuel pump, cosworth thermostat, alignment, tyres... the list goes on...

My car also comes with a full set of Ohlins racing coilovers which cost half the price of the car in Japan this doesn't make it any less of an S202

And shock horror the car will be tracked on the new AD08R's garnishing the Rays and BBS wheels I've got coming

I have to admit I thought Kas' car was a bit of a baststardisation of a great model, but on reflection that's a bit harsh when actually all what was done is to make a great car even better and more in keeping with what he wanted from an Impreza

Andy, your car is great, visually there's loads you can do to make it more true to the S202ness people like, but you'd be mad to bow down and try and rectify the performance side as it would be a step backwards

A well modded car is a well modded car, enjoy it and stop worrying about acceptance and peoples expectations of what an S202 should be

Hope that helps
An S202 Mk 53 then !
Defo unique.
Old 13 August 2013, 12:36 AM
Scooby Senior

S2053

...up there with Type WA and the Type 53

Old 13 August 2013, 12:52 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

"An opportunity to own a unique Subaru.
The only one in the world to claim to be a 53 type".

Nah.... doesn't have that charisma, sorry.
Old 13 August 2013, 01:08 AM
Scooby Senior

I'd never claim that, although if they did make a Type 53 it would be both awesome and unattainable to everyday Herberts

The point is enjoy your car in the here and now and don't worry about adhering to pedantic purists who would have you polish it rather than drive it
Old 13 August 2013, 01:38 AM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap
"An opportunity to own a unique Subaru.
The only one in the world to claim to be a 53 type".

Nah.... doesn't have that charisma, sorry.

I just clocked you're from Abertillery I own property in Aber Alexander Rd in Six Bells and have family up on Cwm Farm Road, Victoria Road and all over the surrounding area. You must have a sturdy garage to keep a T20 in that den of iniquity
Old 13 August 2013, 08:58 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I am going to be keeping my S202 as standard as possible safe for a few minor cosmetic changes which can be easily reversed ie rear window tints, front bumper lip, door window deflectors (but these were an option) plus a set of Defi gauges.

On the engine front it will have a Prodrive sports cat, new fuel pump (I won't trust an 11 year old fuel pump), 3 port boost solenoid plus a remap for UK fuel.

Everything that I will be doing can be reversed within a couple of hours if necessary and won't be a massive change in what the car is.

To me anyway an S202 should stay as close to possible as you can keep it, when you start doing wholesale changes to the engine, bodywork etc then you take the car away from what it is and was designed to be.

I am not saying that you cannot change suspensions bushes etc as they will wear out anyway, but when it comes down to the major components then it is a definite no no from me.
Old 13 August 2013, 09:13 AM
EssexJamie
Scooby Regular

I bought a UK300 with the intentions of modding it quite extensively wheels, coilovers, STI engine, big brakes etc etc

But when I got it I thought I shouldn't do this as the 3 other UK300's I looked at where modded and I didn't Want them as much as this standard one.

So I'm going to make some small changes to the looks slightly like rear diffuser, STI lights and some flocked dash pieces, but I'm going to keep the stock wheels (which I do love) stock exhaust, air box etc. any changes I make will be reversible, think the only major change I will make is going bigger brakes eventually

Although I understand a UK300 isn't the pinnacle of LTD edition imprezas lol unlike P1, 22b etc
Old 13 August 2013, 09:14 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

with all due respect a uk 300 or a gb270 is not really a ltd edition like the s202 they were just tarted up wrxs to shift end of line cars.
Old 13 August 2013, 09:24 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

I think 'specials' should be left as factory originals.
Take the Spec 'D' (D for discrete).
Put a Nur Spec or a high wing on it and what have you got? I don't know exactly, but it's not a Spec D any more.

Another example , this is a dscription of a few modifications to a 22B posted by the person who performed the mods, the owner -
"I then decided to upgrade all the above areas to a state that the car should have been built to in the first place. Especially considering its cost price when new.
The engine was replaced with a new 2.5 Cosworth, the heads sent to RCM for machining. porting, polishing, and returned with new headers.
This was all built up by Alan Jefferies at Enginetuner, together with GT30 Hybrid, and Symtec M/S. New flywheel and lovely clutch. Brakes replaced with Powerstation
Porsche /AP kit. The suspension replaced with EXE-TC stainless."

Still a 22B?
Not in the eyes of many I think. It might well be a faster and better handling car than it was originally, but so would any factory car come to that.
So why corrupt a factory special?

Just my opinion.
Old 13 August 2013, 09:25 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
with all due respect a uk 300 or a gb270 is not really a ltd edition like the s202 they were just tarted up wrxs to shift end of line cars.
I do love your bluntness Dan

Tell the lad how it is hey
Old 13 August 2013, 09:25 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
I do love your bluntness Dan

Tell the lad how it is hey

Old 13 August 2013, 09:59 AM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
I am going to be keeping my S202 as standard as possible safe for a few minor cosmetic changes which can be easily reversed ie rear window tints, front bumper lip, door window deflectors (but these were an option) plus a set of Defi gauges.

On the engine front it will have a Prodrive sports cat, new fuel pump (I won't trust an 11 year old fuel pump), 3 port boost solenoid plus a remap for UK fuel.

Everything that I will be doing can be reversed within a couple of hours if necessary and won't be a massive change in what the car is.

To me anyway an S202 should stay as close to possible as you can keep it, when you start doing wholesale changes to the engine, bodywork etc then you take the car away from what it is and was designed to be.

I am not saying that you cannot change suspensions bushes etc as they will wear out anyway, but when it comes down to the major components then it is a definite no no from me.
Exactly my point before LWC mentioned :An S202 Mk 53 then !"

...prop busings, uprated pitchstop, engine mounts, gearbox mounts, outrigger bushes, shifter bushings, roll centre kit, front and rear strut braces, steering rack bushes, diff lock brace, remap, fuel pump, cosworth thermostat, alignment, tyres...

These are all in keeping with what the S202 is about, refining, maintaining and improving handling, and ensuring longevity for the engine and drivetrain to do what it was built for. Some people need to educate themselves about what modifications do what and what their implications are

Removing the Rays, Carbon Spoiler and adding skirts and badboy exhausts, isn't in keeping with that ethos

An 11 year old Subaru regardless of it's model needs systematic renewal of bushes and components to retain it's ability to perform at the level it left the factory
Old 13 August 2013, 10:00 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Changing the bushes, makes the car feel so much tighter and better
Old 13 August 2013, 10:01 AM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by banny sti
Changing the bushes, makes the car feel so much tighter and better
I spotted a fellow Beatrush enthusiast in your forsale ad Banny Prop bushes FTW
Old 13 August 2013, 11:29 AM
Notey
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by 53

Hope that helps
I dont think many people would class mods such as bushes and ARBs etc as mods that no longer make it a special edition. These are mods that cant be seen or heard but improve the car, and any future owner would probably appreciate them. It's when you start going down the route of wheels, carbon spoilers and 400bhp builds etc that the car loses its appeal.

I only recently bought my car, and while I was looking I immediately discounted any cars that had exhausts etc fitted as its not what I wanted from a limited run model. I imagine a lot of others may have the same opinion. If you look at standard spec P1s and 22Bs that come up for sale, they command a lot more than models that have been played with.

But its your car and you should do what you like with it, the only persons opinion that ultimately matters is your own. Enjoy your car the way YOU want and enjoy it
Old 13 August 2013, 11:39 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Notey
I dont think many people would class mods such as bushes and ARBs etc as mods that no longer make it a special edition. These are mods that cant be seen or heard but improve the car, and any future owner would probably appreciate them. It's when you start going down the route of wheels, carbon spoilers and 400bhp builds etc that the car loses its appeal.

I only recently bought my car, and while I was looking I immediately discounted any cars that had exhausts etc fitted as its not what I wanted from a limited run model. I imagine a lot of others may have the same opinion. If you look at standard spec P1s and 22Bs that come up for sale, they command a lot more than models that have been played with.

But its your car and you should do what you like with it, the only persons opinion that ultimately matters is your own. Enjoy your car the way YOU want and enjoy it

fella a gb270 is not really a special edition like the 22b or s202 its just a wrx with blue seats and a spoiler.

the s202 etc have performance orientated parts and build numbers.

an impreza enthusiast would instantly know and respect an s car or a 22b the same cannot be said for a gb270 or wrx 300 which was just a tart up to shift old stock and has no performance or special edition parts and a run of the mill sti is a far better car.

Last edited by tubbytommy; 13 August 2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 13 August 2013, 11:59 AM
stu turbo 98
Scooby Regular

I don't think you've de valued your S202 at all,as far as im concerned they were made for racing due to the light weight and what do racing teams do?.....they modify their car to go faster and handle better .Its still an S202 albeit a better one than the factory standard,its your car Andy and you should be very proud of it!How ever if I was a purist then I would be looking to buy a standard one as they are rare.Horses for courses as they say.
Old 13 August 2013, 12:02 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by stu turbo 98
I don't think you've de valued your S202 at all,as far as im concerned they were made for racing due to the light weight and what do racing teams do?.....they modify their car to go faster and handle better .Its still an S202 albeit a better one than the factory standard,its your car Andy and you should be very proud of it!How ever if I was a purist then I would be looking to buy a standard one as they are rare.Horses for courses as they say.

if you are talking value, id also say it is worth less.

if someone was looking specifically for an s202 I doubt they would consider it as its too far from original which id say an s202 owner is after.
Old 13 August 2013, 01:45 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53

Hope that helps
Thanks for your comments, I agree with a lot of your post.