Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Civic type R troubling ppp'd classic??

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2013, 08:06 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic type R troubling ppp'd classic??

Should I really be having trouble with an 04 plate civic type R in my ppp'd classic?
My old classic with the the same spec would of happily despatched of one of these so why is my new one soo slow??! even my remapped e46 330d would have it I reckon!:-(
I always remembered a right kick up the **** when on boost with my old car but this one is a bit boring really

Ive got all the bits ready for a jolly green monster mapping session, td05, 3 port etc, but I've lost a bit of faith in the old girl today

Power comes in okay, bit hesitant when cold on light throttle but never really seems to take off when warmed up? Looks to be running rich from the sootyish exhaust but power is pretty smooth past 2500rpm.

Shall I fit a boost gauge or get the car on a rolling road? Maf hasn't been changed or plugs but idle is good, boost solenoid shot? had new silicone y pipe too?

Losing faith in the car, please someone convince me to keep it!
Old 07 August 2013, 08:13 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Get it on the rollers.
Old 07 August 2013, 08:17 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by maff125
Should I really be having trouble with an 04 plate civic type R in my ppp'd classic?
Ask the member Ditchmyster, he will tell you all about PPP Subaru's and how fast they are...
Old 07 August 2013, 08:19 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

Yeah powerstation is 10 miles from me, I think I will!

Ppp classic is 237bhp on 95ron and 250 on v power right? my old classic used to almost keep up with my mates 315bhp wrx classic, this one is pants in comparison, something's definatly not right!
Old 07 August 2013, 08:42 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

250bhp 4wd car v 200bhp FWD car, Not going to be much in it!!! I would'nt be to dis-heartened!!!

Be a different car when mapped with the TD05, could see as close to 300bhp, Civic Type R's will be a thing of the past, Be upsetting Audi RS4's and BMW M3's with that spec!!!!
Old 07 August 2013, 08:48 PM
dazzaturbo
Scooby Regular

Ever thought the type r could have been messed with they are very quick with a few mods.
Old 07 August 2013, 08:57 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

It did look played with, bigger exhaust etc sounded quite nice actually lol!

I know there wouldn't be much in it and to be fair I let him go a bit and was catching him in forth, but I always remember my old car as a flying machine so expecting the same from this one I suppose
Old 07 August 2013, 09:39 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
250bhp 4wd car v 200bhp FWD car, Not going to be much in it!!! I would'nt be to dis-heartened!!!
This ^^^^^

Leaving all the Top Trumps stuff aside a PPP'd classic will not 'destroy' a Civic Type R in the real (dry) world, there just isn't enough difference between them power to weight wise.

Remember all other things being equal you need another 100bhp over another car to significantly out perform it.
Old 07 August 2013, 09:56 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
This ^^^^^

Leaving all the Top Trumps stuff aside a PPP'd classic will not 'destroy' a Civic Type R in the real (dry) world, there just isn't enough difference between them power to weight wise.

Remember all other things being equal you need another 100bhp over another car to significantly out perform it.
I know where your coming from, just expected a bit more and the car just doesn't feel 100%, might just change the maf for peace of mind and maybe plugs, leads etc
Old 07 August 2013, 10:06 PM
EssexJamie
Scooby Regular

If the Civic Type R was running say a Mugen Twinloop, AEM V2 induction kit and was using a Vtec controller which I had similar on my Integra Type R (standard mods on most type R's) then it wouldnt be much of a difference against a 250BHP Impreza to be fair, even standard there pretty quick if they catch you off boost and there in Vtec
Old 07 August 2013, 10:13 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

I suspect it had been played with, the driver was also keeping the car in vtech as I could hear it almost bouncing off the limiter
We came under a bridge and its the first time ive heard one that sounded nice, went well to be fair.
Old 07 August 2013, 10:18 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have an FN2 (newer type R) so when I had one with a silly Mugen wing tailgating me in my Impreza I thought I'd dispatch him with great pleasure on the sliproad.

******* only had a supercharger didn't he?!

Swine
Old 07 August 2013, 10:26 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

Same must of happened to me then! I could of sworn I heard a supercharger whine over the screaming vtech! hoping:-)
Old 07 August 2013, 10:27 PM
Jdm-brad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fonzey
I used to have an FN2 (newer type R) so when I had one with a silly Mugen wing tailgating me in my Impreza I thought I'd dispatch him with great pleasure on the sliproad.

******* only had a supercharger didn't he?!

Swine
Haha love this comment, supercharged k20 ftw
Old 07 August 2013, 10:29 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have SC'd my FN2 if I didn't get the scooby itch when I did. They're awesome cars, I loved mine to bits.

Not too shabby either, 300bhp easy with a SC with LSD in the later ones.
Old 07 August 2013, 10:51 PM
Megaman
Scooby Regular

good luck with traction in the damp with a supercharged civic lol
Old 07 August 2013, 10:53 PM
EssexJamie
Scooby Regular

If it was a S/C Type R it wouldn't have just kept up with you it more likely would have left you! My mates Jackson Racing S/C JDM EP3 was running 330BHP and was killer quick....he then planted that engine into his Lotus Elise and not much touches that car now!
Old 08 August 2013, 10:07 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

I know where your coming from, just expected a bit more and the car just doesn't feel 100%, might just change the maf for peace of mind and maybe plugs, leads etc
Get it checked on the diagnostics, No point spending loads on plugs, Maf, leads etc and then find out theres a leak on your boost pipe.
Old 08 August 2013, 10:19 AM
maff125
Scooby Regular

You mean connecting the green and black wires and counting the flashes?

That's the thing, the scooby is my 2nd 'fun' car but I don't want to pile thousands into it just want it like my old one, handling great and around 300bhp

I did a crude stopwatch 30-70 this morning and got 4.8 secs which is about right for ppp, but joining the motorway this morning 3rd felt flat as a pancake, also seems to suffer from heatsoke big time?

Still half the reason I bought another impreza was to enjoy modding it myself so perhaps ill have go at the diagnostics, there just seems to be so much that can make them underperform, mafs, boost solenoids, plugs leads, cool pack, lambda, where do I start?!

I had my 330d mapped two years ago and it's never missed a beat, feels like its getting quicker with age too! 45mpg average:-)
Old 08 August 2013, 10:26 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

You mean connecting the green and black wires and counting the flashes?

That's the thing, the scooby is my 2nd 'fun' car but I don't want to pile thousands into it just want it like my old one, handling great and around 300bhp

I did a crude stopwatch 30-70 this morning and got 4.8 secs which is about right for ppp, but joining the motorway this morning 3rd felt flat as a pancake, also seems to suffer from heatsoke big time?

Still half the reason I bought another impreza was to enjoy modding it myself so perhaps ill have go at the diagnostics, there just seems to be so much that can make them underperform, mafs, boost solenoids, plugs leads, cool pack, lambda, where do I start?!

I had my 330d mapped two years ago and it's never missed a beat, feels like its getting quicker with age too! 45mpg average:-)
Tells you how to do it here, and the codes!!!
http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...eadingECUCodes

I know what you mean about the heat soak, remember my old Blobeye when I had the TMIC, when it was very hot, the car would feel like it had no boost at all, used to drive me crazy!!!
Old 08 August 2013, 10:27 AM
Jazzy Jefferson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EssexJamie
If it was a S/C Type R it wouldn't have just kept up with you it more likely would have left you! My mates Jackson Racing S/C JDM EP3 was running 330BHP and was killer quick....he then planted that engine into his Lotus Elise and not much touches that car now!
His name isn't Steve is it?
Old 08 August 2013, 10:49 AM
maff125
Scooby Regular

Cheers I'll have a read, and yeah no boost, can relate to that!:-( my 330d feels quicker when it's hot?! how does that work?? has got a front mount though
Old 08 August 2013, 11:36 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it unmapped with fmic? Have you changed the small hoses on the turbo and not replaced the small pill? Has the maf been changed recently? What induction kits fitted?
Old 08 August 2013, 12:01 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

Spec is sti prodrive ecu, silicone y pipe under standard top mount intercooler, centre de cat non res, sti backbox and a cosworth panel filter in the standard airbox, pretty much exact ppp pack spec apart from the non resonated middle section, still running the decat downpipe.

Not touched any pipe work, nor the restrictive pill but was told that the maf was changed recently before I purchased the car, maf also has a green stripe.

Plugs have done around 10,000 miles and I'm sure it says they were a platinum plugs on an old invoice.

Simon are you busy at the mo? I have everything for a mapping session, was looking at next month:-)
Old 08 August 2013, 12:20 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Spec is sti prodrive ecu, silicone y pipe under standard top mount intercooler, centre de cat non res, sti backbox and a cosworth panel filter in the standard airbox, pretty much exact ppp pack spec apart from the non resonated middle section, still running the decat downpipe.

Not touched any pipe work, nor the restrictive pill but was told that the maf was changed recently before I purchased the car, maf also has a green stripe.

Plugs have done around 10,000 miles and I'm sure it says they were a platinum plugs on an old invoice.

Simon are you busy at the mo? I have everything for a mapping session, was looking at next month:-)

No such thing as an sti prodrive ecu.
Your post above reads that you have a front mount......or did you mean your bmw has a front mount ?

Last edited by MattyB1983; 08 August 2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08 August 2013, 12:27 PM
jimboscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EssexJamie
That must be mental!!! I've got a standard s2 elise at the mo and destroy most things on track days. My mate just sold a superchrged s1 elise which was even better but was only 190bhp. I cant imagibe what a 330bhp elise could do! I'd love to see it tho!! Is it on youtube or anything??
Old 08 August 2013, 12:51 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As said ^^^^^ prodrive ecu has sti on it on classic
Old 08 August 2013, 12:54 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
As said ^^^^^ prodrive ecu has sti on it on classic
Didn't know that...
Why would it have sti written on it when its a prodrive upgrade ??
Old 08 August 2013, 01:31 PM
EssexJamie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jazzy Jefferson
His name isn't Steve is it?
No but I know who Steve his he works at the airport when I was there, this is where my mate got the idea from!
Amazing power in Steves car.

Originally Posted by jimboscooby
That must be mental!!! I've got a standard s2 elise at the mo and destroy most things on track days. My mate just sold a superchrged s1 elise which was even better but was only 190bhp. I cant imagibe what a 330bhp elise could do! I'd love to see it tho!! Is it on youtube or anything??
Not my mates but maybe there is of Steves, think there was on the EP3 site I will ask my mate
Old 08 August 2013, 02:30 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

Sorry meant my 330d has a front mount not the classic:-)

Defo a prodrive ecu, pink label with sti written on it. Had two now

Quick Reply: Civic type R troubling ppp'd classic??