Chocolate syncro's on 6 speed gear boxes

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2013, 06:06 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Chocolate syncro's on 6 speed gear boxes

Hello STI fanboys.

Ok so i'm ever so slightly taking the P!SS and i'm sure i'll be accused of trolling by someone

But on a serious note and just in the interest of fairness and a small amount of curiosity.

Who has had problems with a 6 speed or knows someone that has.

Now I don't want this to turn into a which box is best thread because all of us in the know already know it's the 5 speed but I am genuinely curious to know just exactly how fantastic or not as the case may be the six speed box is.

I know it's a bit of a how long is a piece of string question but i'd also be interested to know what sort of miles they "showed signs of problems" at and what the problem was, along with what kind of abuse it had taken, ie: drag strip / track use or just general day to day use with the odd blast.

Old 18 July 2013, 06:20 AM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not another thread knocking Top Gear...?
Old 18 July 2013, 06:42 AM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problems at all....Although I did the 3/4th synchro on my last 5-speed
Old 18 July 2013, 07:07 AM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

The gearbox is strong in its own right for road use
I would imagine heavy shifting & sustained abuse the dogs would wear causing gear slip & false neutral etc . If you had deep pockets & wanted more
KAPS transmissions do a full upgrade using the original casings
Or a full bling bling sequential gearbox rated to over 800nm torque

Incidentally how often do you guys check & replace your gear oil ?
Old 18 July 2013, 07:26 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

For those that don't know, the reason I asked, and it really is a genuine question, is Max aka Hurst cars mentioned on another thread that he's had to replace the syncro's on two 6 speed gear boxes recently, so I just wanted to see exactly how many had experienced problems.

I'd actually like to discover that problems are few and far between or more a case of poor maintenance, which is probably most likely as not too many people get involved with their gear box until there is a problem.

There's plenty of info about 5 speed failures/problems but nothing much gets said about the 6 speed, now I know that's because generally speaking they are more reliable and can take big power.
Old 18 July 2013, 07:34 AM
marshall332bhp
Scooby Regular

5th gear is the common one so I believe my last impreza had a crunchy 5th if you snatched for it at high rpm. Was far from knackered though. Lad on here got the car and still seems to be fine. Didn't get any worse in over the year I had it. Am sure after 2003 they changed the material of components used in the box fixing the problem.
Old 18 July 2013, 07:35 AM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Old ones yeh, newer ones got carbon bulk rings to help with syncros, the 5 speeds where just as bad, think its just an sti thing as the wrx aint got enough power to wear them out lol
Jay
Old 18 July 2013, 07:50 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

My 4th syncro has gone ish ,,,but its had a very very hard life and gets abused like you wouldn't believe ,,,it came from a 80k ish car and I abused it from day one and have prob put another 10k very hard miles on it and to be honest its got loads left in it if I didn't want to smash it around the track every weekend and go from 5th to 4th and high speeds ,,,but whatever box you have in 5 or 6 if you drive it like I do then it will need rebuilding one day anyway so why worry just get on and have fun with it ,,,my 5 speed didn't last at half the power the 6 speed is running and I never go to the strip so didn't see the point in building a 5 speed as I like my car to be in the right rev range when I'm out on the track
Old 18 July 2013, 07:57 AM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

I bought an early 6 speed for my V3 STI & had to have all the synchros replaced at great expense. The replacements were modified as are the ones in the later boxes. If doing it again I'd pay more money for a late low milage box.
Old 18 July 2013, 08:17 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

it could also depend if Oilman has been selling you the wrong oil for your box as he has been for years.
Old 18 July 2013, 08:51 AM
veerinder9
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
it could also depend if Oilman has been selling you the wrong oil for your box as he has been for years.
Lol so what would be the correct gearbox oil?
Old 18 July 2013, 09:02 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Ian on here (had the lovely grey classic sti) had issues with a 6 speed too I believe.
Old 18 July 2013, 09:10 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

My old 6 speed from an 03 spec c had a crunchy synchro going from 4th to 5th
Old 18 July 2013, 09:19 AM
Fai17
Scooby Regular

Have you changed it Banny?
Old 18 July 2013, 09:23 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Fai17
Have you changed it Banny?
I sold the box on when I broke the car, the current hawkeye box is mint no crunching in any gear. Though I can beat the synchros when Im at defcon 1
Old 18 July 2013, 09:37 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

The only problem I have had with my 6 speed followed a premature oil change.
Having fitted a new engine and with a track day pending, I thought it would be a good idea to change the gearbox oil. I duly bought some Redline 75/90 and stuck it in. Within 50 miles I was experiencing difficulty downshifting into 4th. On the track day it was dramatically worse and was getting severe synchro crunching on all but the softest downshifts, again all 4th gear.
I went to Zen Performance to see what would be the fix and it turns out (as some of you will have already guessed) that I used the wrong oil.
It should have been 75/90NS

I have since bought some Redline Heavy Shockproof oil and all is back to normal again. It did have me worried for a while though
Old 18 July 2013, 09:37 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Double post deleted
Old 18 July 2013, 11:04 AM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marshall332bhp
5th gear is the common one so I believe my last impreza had a crunchy 5th if you snatched for it at high rpm. Was far from knackered though. Lad on here got the car and still seems to be fine. Didn't get any worse in over the year I had it. Am sure after 2003 they changed the material of components used in the box fixing the problem.
Tbh I don't think its ever done it while I've had it mate lol, once or twice its been notchy changing down from 6th at speed by its never actually "crunched" into gear.

Definitely doesn't warrant a £650 recon yet

I might try this redline shockproof stuff see if actually changes owt.

Mick
Old 18 July 2013, 11:26 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Worlasshasansti

Mick
I bought mine from AS Performance.
There are two grades available, light and heavy. I went for the heavy as I needed maximum benefit in case I had damaged any components through using the wrong oil.
Alyn was very helpful, as were the guys at Zen for that matter.
Old 18 July 2013, 01:36 PM
adam405sti
Scooby Regular

Found it being mainly 2003 model blob sti's, widetrack and hawks no where near as much. Tried gearbox oil i.e redline etc on numerous occasions, i'm yet to have one where this "magic oil" has fixed the problem. I do hope im wrong as its far cheaper trying that than a rebuild but only adds to the expenses if it's going to get rebuilt at the end of it all.
Old 18 July 2013, 01:39 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

despite claims, 6 speeders arn;t bullet proof, they do suffer with weak syncro's. road cars tend to be ok, but i do know a couple of folks who have shat them in race/track cars.
Old 18 July 2013, 01:46 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is due a rebuild 4th and 5th synchro in a 6sp box
Old 18 July 2013, 02:25 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Rich out with his wooden spoon again
In my experience when something is said to be bulletproof it usually comes with one or two provisos. Namely that some people will see that tag as a challenge and WHEN not IF they break said componentry it will be labelled as being anything but bulletproof. The six speeder is a good robust gearbox which will stand a lot of abuse but give an idiot enough rope.....
When Subaru launched the newage STI they spent a lot of money on engineering the new gearbox. They enlisted the help of Porsche in the design of the six speeder. This gearbox will handle huge power and a lot of track abuse. For the road and on a modified STI it will be fine but throw in the factors of highly modified and track use on a regular basis then yes it 'may' fail. I wouldn't call it chocolate, I'd reserve that accolade for the pistons in the 2.5s Now there's another can of worms.
Old 18 July 2013, 03:15 PM
marshall332bhp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Worlasshasansti
Tbh I don't think its ever done it while I've had it mate lol, once or twice its been notchy changing down from 6th at speed by its never actually "crunched" into gear.

Definitely doesn't warrant a £650 recon yet

Mick
You musnt drive it like I did haha. Flat out everywhere. Like I stole it. The oil was changed 2 days before you bought it from alyn at AS to dull down the noises. Must have that in it.
Old 18 July 2013, 03:46 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Synchros in early boxes are definitely an issue.

Had mine replaced with the later carbon ones by API, no issues since! (about 4 years ago!)
Old 18 July 2013, 03:53 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't try and beat the syncro's........ that is one of the reasons for these box's having issues.

My old MY03 SPEC C 6sp took a right beating (competition use, track use, drag use etc) and never caused me any issues. The above can be a contributory factor.
Old 18 July 2013, 03:57 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Never had an issue with my 6 speed

Went through three 5 speed's on my Classic though.
Old 18 July 2013, 04:44 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Rich out with his wooden spoon again
Only in the interest of a little clarity.

In my experience when something is said to be bulletproof it usually comes with one or two provisos. Namely that some people will see that tag as a challenge and WHEN not IF they break said componentry it will be labelled as being anything but bulletproof. The six speeder is a good robust gearbox which will stand a lot of abuse but give an idiot enough rope.....
Absolutely, which is pretty much what I thought and said as much on the other thread.

When Subaru launched the newage STI they spent a lot of money on engineering the new gearbox. They enlisted the help of Porsche in the design of the six speeder. This gearbox will handle huge power and a lot of track abuse. For the road and on a modified STI it will be fine but throw in the factors of highly modified and track use on a regular basis then yes it 'may' fail. I wouldn't call it chocolate, I'd reserve that accolade for the pistons in the 2.5s Now there's another can of worms.
You learn something new every day.
Old 18 July 2013, 04:47 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marshall332bhp
You musnt drive it like I did haha. Flat out everywhere. Like I stole it. The oil was changed 2 days before you bought it from alyn at AS to dull down the noises. Must have that in it.
Nothing like re-assuring the new owner about his new purchase.
Old 18 July 2013, 04:51 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

So pretty much as I thought then, STI's are shoit and a waste of money buying one because not only are the ratio's crap and the seats horrible, the gear boxes **** themselves too.

5 Speed PPG FTW.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 18 July 2013 at 04:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Chocolate syncro's on 6 speed gear boxes