New member- need some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2013, 09:59 PM
dave23
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member- need some advice!

Hi guys,

First post here having been recommended from another forum.

I'm considering selling my 08 Cupra K1 and investing in a WRX STI. Would ideally like something no older than 2004 with sub 40,000 miles on the clock.

A few questions:

1. Is there anything to look out for when buying, be it mechanical or otherwise?
2. From a basic model, what mods would you suggest to get upwards of 300bhp? My cupra is 300 with a revo map so would like to hit higher figures.
3. What price could I expect to pay for either a blob or Hawkeye with sub 40,000 miles?
4. Where's the best place for maps, servicing and general modding in Northern Ireland?

Apologies for the noob questions, but any help would be great!

Thanks

Dave
Old 14 July 2013, 11:20 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll have a stab at covering most points, I'm sure people can add to what I miss there is a lot to answer here. A lot of these questions have been asked before on here, you may wish to search old posts.

The Impreza STi is a different car to what you are used to, take some out for a drive! The amount of grip will be much higher than your current ride and the ability to put the power down on the road will be surprising.

Best to go for the 2005 wide track car, these are generally regarded as the best of the newage cars. However for most of the time a 2003-4 car will offer little less unless you are literally smashing it on a track. Bugeyes are still very capable but are a little less loved due to the looks and of course, their advanced age.

The later 2.5 engines are sometimes unreliable so it may be best to avoid a hawkeye unless it has a forged engine build by a respected tuner (API, Finch, Alan Jeffrey, Roger Clark, Litchfield, Scooby Clinic to name but a few). However, the 2.5 engine is a flexible unit for the road and has a very satisfying torque delivery with a less peaky feel, especially if forged and mapped. These engines would appear to be very popular with their owners!

(note - some people will pop up soon telling you that you must buy a JDM car, these cars have a higher redline and twin scroll turbos but are much rarer, command a higher premium and are no quicker on the public roads).

As high performance cars it is generally a good idea to look out for signs of abuse. Clunky gearchanges, noisy wheel bearings, heavily worn pads and brakes, engine knocks and signs of rust or crash damage. Whiny turbos and transmissions are unusual so if you hear these steer well clear, though the diffs can clunk a little and the turbo can make a lot of noise when driven hard. A common problem on Imprezas is knocking from the rear shocks, it is a small part of the outside of the shock coming loose and can be easily fixed it is has been covered on here before.

I think many would agree that it is sometimes better to go for a higher mileage car that has an impeccable service history than one that has not been looked after as well. Imprezas are generally very reliable if well treated, especially for high performance cars. Make sure things like cambelts (expensive job) and fluids have been changed at this age.

I would avoid cars that have been treated to dump valves, poor taste body kits and oversized wheels. If you do go for a modified car ensure it has been regularly serviced and the oil changed regularly. As a general rule of thumb all engine and exhaust modifications need a remap.

The basic WRX STi has 265bhp but the power delivery comes in a huge wadge on a torque surge after 3000rpm. The engine is red-lined around 7000rpm but most sensible drivers change up around 6500rpm. If you wish to keep your car standard then it is best to hunt out a car with a Prodrive Performance Package that has an uprated fuel pump, exhaust and engine remap of 305bhp. These cars were capable of cracking 60mph in comfortably under five seconds and the ton in around thirteen. Similar performance gains can be made from an uprated fuelpump and exhaust (sometimes straight through) with a remap that can sometimes see around 330bhp or so.

Prices vary and unfortunately are dependant on the car. To the right person a low mileage minter from 2005 that has all the bills and receipts can easily command a five figure price, whereas a bugeye that has been to the moon and back without a service manual may only be worth around the £5k mark to anyone daft enough to go there. I paid £9k in October 2011 for a mint 34k mileage Blob PPP and got just short of £10k back for it with 48k on the clock a calendar year later.
Old 16 July 2013, 10:08 PM
dave23
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info mate.

I've been offered an 04 STI with 57500 on the clock. Has remap by JGM with overdrive, zunsports lower front grill, detangoed headlights, front splitter, front strut brace, bonnet dampers, debadged boot lid, scooby world mud flaps, walbro 255 fuel pump, NGK spark plugs, genuine PFFF7 18" alloys, eibach lowering springs, vortex roof spoiler, decat exhaust with HKS silent pro back box.

Last service had the timing belt, tensioner and all pulleys done, along with diff oil and transmission fluids. The chap is selling up as he simply doesn't drive it. Put 2k on the clock.

Sound good? Going to view it next week.