Sponsored by:

Anyone owned an integra DC5?

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2013, 01:42 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone owned an integra DC5?

I'm semi contemplating some fwd v-tec goodness, having done RWD and AWD in the past.

It's probably a toss up between that and a blob. I'd like maybe an evo 7 but they have a bad image and I don't know evos. I don't know Hondas either but then there is no turbo or AWD.

My main worry would be the rubbish traction in the wet.
Old 14 July 2013, 02:00 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Save yourself £5k and buy a newer MG ZS.
Old 14 July 2013, 02:01 PM
Donnie Brasco 46
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've not owned a Integra, it'd be worried about the lack of torque with the engine. When on song no doubt that it'd sing, but like the civic type r the torque figures are terrible. Loads of power above 5.5-6k revs but nothing below it.
Old 14 July 2013, 02:07 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Save yourself £5k and buy a newer MG ZS.
Ha ha fark off.
Old 14 July 2013, 02:09 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Donnie Brasco 46
I've not owned a Integra, it'd be worried about the lack of torque with the engine. When on song no doubt that it'd sing, but like the civic type r the torque figures are terrible. Loads of power above 5.5-6k revs but nothing below it.
That's the point I assume? I'm not a big fan of massive torque and forced induction in FWD as they spin up so easily.
Old 14 July 2013, 02:18 PM
sovietspybob
Scooby Regular

I've owned a DC5 for about 18 months before my widetrack blob.

Where to start..

Amazing cars, very very different to a scoob so no comparing them really.

Brilliant engine, just revs and revs and alot better than in the uk civic type R, the K20A in the teg has a far more noticeable vtec changeover and revs higher. Best gearbox i've had on any car period, the one in the scoob is like stirring a stick in a sack of stones compared

Brilliant handling, even with my scoob on BC coilovers i'm sure the teg on its stock suspension would handle better.

Downsides are they are very VERY firm and do tend to skip about alot on the road (to some this is part of the appeal), also with the LSD the wheel really tugs at you as it finds grip, it almost feels like very aggressive torque steer in a way but its just the diff doing its magic. The first time you hit vtec on a bumpy uneven road you'd better be holding on tight! Also they are totally rubbish in putting down the power in the wet being so light with all that power. There isn't much power below 6k when VTEC engages, the plus side to this is you can average 36-38mpg if driven daily.

It's very much a flawed diamond, some amazing qualities which is why it gets under your skin and people love them so much. Just make sure your buying one for the right reasons or you could be disappointed.

itr-dc5.com is the place to go for any info, buying guides etc, try and buy a car from the forum if you can as you can trace its history.

Needless picture of mine, i still miss it alot mine was mildly modified, RBC inlet manifold, spoon 4-2-1 exhaust header, 68mm throttle body, mugen strut braces, Ohlins coilovers (replaced with stock after they started to knock)

Old 14 July 2013, 07:32 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^stunning motor I often think about these myself, definitely on my wish list!

Mick
Old 14 July 2013, 07:39 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

That looks really nice sovietspybob.

Like the gearbox metaphor lol. My STI classic had a nice tight box IIRC. My old Skyline was a bit more agricultural with a long throw.
Old 14 July 2013, 07:41 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Worlasshasansti
^^^^stunning motor I often think about these myself, definitely on my wish list!

Mick
Don't get one mate. They are **** (says hoping more will be available for me to choose from lol).
Old 14 July 2013, 08:05 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had turbo fwd cars, Scoobs and have driven a few civic type r.

Just don't see the point of an engine where all the power is over 5k

Just too add to that. 5k in second gear is over 40mph so pretty pointless on main rds too
Old 14 July 2013, 08:44 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Front wheel drive is for the feeble
Old 14 July 2013, 08:47 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
Front wheel drive is for the feeble
Traction should be ok with you in teh front tommy?
Old 14 July 2013, 09:09 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Traction should be ok with you in teh front tommy?
had a civic type r and its a pointless road car.
no torque or power until 5000 rpm.
Old 14 July 2013, 09:16 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
had a civic type r and its a pointless road car.
no torque or power until 5000 rpm.
What's 5k in 2nd cog?
Old 14 July 2013, 09:32 PM
Bashtech
Scooby Regular

Around 50mph iiirc
Old 14 July 2013, 10:01 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bashtech
Around 50mph iiirc
I might have to test one and see if I'm ok with it.
Old 14 July 2013, 10:04 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

I so very nearly did. I had a new FN2 Civic before hand and wanted to try a "purer" VTEC car without getting an EP3.

Ended up with the Scoob, but looked at a few DC5s - still got a soft spot for them.
Old 14 July 2013, 10:05 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

I have to admit though, the VTEC powerband is frustrating on the road but so rewarding when you do get a nice clean bit of tarmac.

I've got a kitcar on my "to do list" and it'll be 100% track focused, so I'll be returning to a high revvy engine like the VTEC ones for that.
Old 14 July 2013, 10:24 PM
sovietspybob
Scooby Regular

The limiter @8600rpm in 2nd was about 62-63mph.

Just means you whacked it into 2nd or 3rd for any overtake on the roads! takes a bit of getting used to, dropping 2 more gears than you'd think is sane but hearing an engine scream over 8k makes it all worth while!
Old 14 July 2013, 10:36 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Tony, ignore all those who say they are gutless etc. they just have no clue how to drive one!

I owned a DC2 Type R for 4 years, it was an absolutely brilliant piece of machinery. The engineering makes standard Scoobs look like tractors in most respects. The beauty of them is you can tootle around like a normal shopping day car or put your foot down and grab that VTEC goodness! The handling is astonishingly good even more so when you consider it is FWD.

A few months after I sold the DC2 (with a mega mileage yet utterly reliable) I looked at a couple of DC5s, but they were just outside my price band. Driving one it felt like the edges had been rounded off the DC2, everything was just that little bit nicer... and overall a tiny bit less hardcore than the DC2... not a bad thing btw!

I would have one no question, but I know they aren't for everybody. Test drive one and don't be scared to rev it! You may just love it!
Old 14 July 2013, 10:56 PM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

What he said ^^^
Old 14 July 2013, 11:03 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Agree, vtec cars are a totally different driving experience IMO. You need to know how to drive them. I had a ctr and a celica t sport and they are both similar to drive in terms of power band.
With the vtec you can get 40-50hp extra with a few mods and then after that it's supercharger teritory.
Tbh for a fwd car I think that's the best way for them to spin up (rev them hard to have fun) this way it's not got a lot of tourque down low so won't be a pain to drive I.e tourque steer and by the time your on vtec the wheels are going fast enough to not spin.
(vxr cars are not driver focused enough IMO)

I'd love a integra infact I think that might be my next track/weekend toy.

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 14 July 2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 14 July 2013, 11:29 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
With the vtec you can get 40-50hp extra with a few mods
40-50bhp from a sport-focussed car running an already highly-stressed NA engine from tuning?

I would have thought you had to spend a fortune to extract that kind of power and also gone down the turbo/supercharged route just to get an extra 25bhp or so?
Old 14 July 2013, 11:45 PM
adam405sti
Scooby Regular

I've had dc2, dc5 and a fair few ctr's, aswell as an old shape civic vtec. As stated fun to drive but a bit gutless if you ask me. Very reliable saying that. It just doesn't put a smile on my face like a Subaru does. The only vtec which has put a huge smile on my face is an old shape civic vtec 2 door, can't remember the exact model tho. Overall they are pants in terms of power. Saying that depends what your wanting from the car. If you want to kick the living daylights out of it for eternity, and have it get up and say "please do that again" then it's the car for you.

Last edited by adam405sti; 14 July 2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 15 July 2013, 12:00 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
40-50bhp from a sport-focussed car running an already highly-stressed NA engine from tuning?
Honda 4 bangers are just rolling out of bed at 210 hp.
Old 15 July 2013, 12:12 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Tony, ignore all those who say they are gutless etc. they just have no clue how to drive one!

I owned a DC2 Type R for 4 years, it was an absolutely brilliant piece of machinery. The engineering makes standard Scoobs look like tractors in most respects. The beauty of them is you can tootle around like a normal shopping day car or put your foot down and grab that VTEC goodness! The handling is astonishingly good even more so when you consider it is FWD.

A few months after I sold the DC2 (with a mega mileage yet utterly reliable) I looked at a couple of DC5s, but they were just outside my price band. Driving one it felt like the edges had been rounded off the DC2, everything was just that little bit nicer... and overall a tiny bit less hardcore than the DC2... not a bad thing btw!

I would have one no question, but I know they aren't for everybody. Test drive one and don't be scared to rev it! You may just love it!
DC2's are probably a bit old and spartan for what I want. DC5's will be a bit more comfy and civilised. I'm really not keen on cars older than 10 years in general. I can get a 03 or 04 DC5.

I've never driven a new age Impreza but you reckon they are agricultural compared to Hondas?
Old 15 July 2013, 02:53 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

DC2's are probably a bit old and spartan for what I want. DC5's will be a bit more comfy and civilised. I'm really not keen on cars older than 10 years in general. I can get a 03 or 04 DC5.

I've never driven a new age Impreza but you reckon they are agricultural compared to Hondas?
It depends what you want from a car really, scooby scene does for me as it very practical and easy to tune. Where honda is tunable also but is good enough in a standart form and engine is one to die for.... Its a nice looking coupe and still quick enough on the track.... I came to a point where i'm thinking whats the point of this modding thing at all, wouldnt it be better to get smtn still as enjoyable and keep the money in the pocket... Smtn like DC5 , i drove dc2 , road and track, their a masterpiece of engineering... JDM cars are different to uk cars same as with scoobys.. But if you're into power instead of dynamics , DC5 is not for you, it's dull in the low and 220bhp these days is not that fast anymore .

Last edited by mantazini; 15 July 2013 at 02:54 AM.
Old 15 July 2013, 07:12 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never driven one of these but I did have a lexus IS200 and it has something similar vvti or what ever they call it, probably not quite as dramatic but it came in around 4k rpm and gave a bit of an extra shove, which was mildly entertaining in 2nd and 3rd with it being rear wheel drive, but I would echo the sentiments above that you do need to teach yourself how to drive it to make the most of it.

Although the lexus was slated by Mr Clarkson when compared to the bmw 3 series, (it's main opposition) I found it to be better over all in the real world, the only point at which the 3 series wins is on the very edge on country roads, yet transfer them onto the Mway at high speed and the softer lexus was much more stable, i've spent a fair few hours in bmw 3 series and would pick the lexus every time.

It's a bit like the old 309 GTI heavier and less powerful than the 205 GTI but handled so much better, I absolutely mullered a 205 GTI from Nottingham to Lincoln in a 309 GTI, yet the 309 GTI was largely ignored and the 205 GTI achieved iconic status, go figure.

A bit off topic I know, but the point being a well designed chassis paired with a decent engine can quite often overcome a significant power to weight advantage.

My over all point being you really need to drive one because the masses along with even the most illustrious of motoring journalists get it wrong from time to time.
Old 15 July 2013, 07:28 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Exactly what I meant in my post. All the good bits of the DC2 are in the DC5, but the car is just more modern and civilised.

New age Subarus are great for what they are, but the DC5 (and the DC2) feel like handbuilt precision machines that have been engineered to the nth degree whereas the Subarus always feel like they could be better in standard form (which is why they get modded to death).

It's a hard thing to describe. I urge you to drive a DC5 and the first time you make a quick gearchange you will feel what I mean. They really are beautifully made and engineeered cars.
Old 15 July 2013, 08:18 AM
dazzaturbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Exactly what I meant in my post. All the good bits of the DC2 are in the DC5,
B18??

And the myth the Hondas have no torque is absolute rubbish, for a 2.0 litre n/a car they actually make above average torque it's only because 99% of Hondas rivals HAVE to use turbocharging to make the same sort of power.

Quick Reply: Anyone owned an integra DC5?