Focus RS MK2 to GB270

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2013, 12:53 PM
komodors
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus RS MK2 to GB270

Hi guys,

As per title I have recently sold my Focus RS MK2 in frozen white money was good etc - been offered a beauty of a GB270 and am very tempted, Am I going to be disappointed if I move to the GB270? I really like the looks and I'm not really fussed about modding.

Will it be nearly as quick as the focus? what about reliability? I have done a forum search but the mind is confused!

Many thanks!

Mark
Old 10 July 2013, 12:54 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id avoid it, gb270 is a wrx with a spoiler and has the crap 2.5 engine which is renowned for hg failing.
Old 10 July 2013, 01:01 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

GB270 is basically a loaded WRX with a load of Prodrive parts.

It's a quicker car off the mark than an RS but starts to lose the advantage in the mid range. The performance figures are quite similar but the GB will feel stretched by comparison the quicker you go.

In terms of driving, the GB has quite an old school flavour to it and seems agile for a newage car owing to its lower weight than an STi. On a quick road it would keep up with an RS no problem (I doubt there would be much in it tbh) but the steering is lighter and probably a bit more vague owing to the 4wd.

Fuel consumption and running costs probably very similar.

Elaborating on the above comment you may wish to consider a 2.0 STi PPP preferably the widetrack version.

Last edited by thenewgalaxy; 10 July 2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10 July 2013, 01:23 PM
PrimeKos
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by komodors
Hi guys,

As per title I have recently sold my Focus RS MK2 in frozen white money was good etc - been offered a beauty of a GB270 and am very tempted, Am I going to be disappointed if I move to the GB270? I really like the looks and I'm not really fussed about modding.

Will it be nearly as quick as the focus? what about reliability? I have done a forum search but the mind is confused!

Many thanks!

Mark
Depends on the GB270 you getting. I brought no17 in the Wagon and IMHO I think it is one of the best looking Subaru on the road.

As mentioned above the 2.5 is a weak lump and mine gave up the ghost at 53K miles. Gone for a forged rebuild and had a VF35 Turbo upgrade with Ecutek remap as well. Should have it back next week so will let you know what it is like.

Also just for clarity it is not just a dressed up WRX. It has a lot of upgrades over and above the standard WRX so dont be put off by people saying it is similar to the WRX because it just isnt.
Old 10 July 2013, 01:27 PM
komodors
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies so far...

This is a saloon which has 80K on the clock, looks looked after and has FSH I guess engine failures are hard to predict...

I have also been offered a 2006 E46 M3 which was tempting but £££'s if it goes wrong!

I'm not a "serious" driver, I go to work and back and a weekend little blast, up on to the bypass and round a few twisty fast roads - nothing major.

Loved the RS but the money was on the table and I had to take it!

Mark
Old 10 July 2013, 01:36 PM
PrimeKos
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies so far...

This is a saloon which has 80K on the clock, looks looked after and has FSH I guess engine failures are hard to predict...

I have also been offered a 2006 E46 M3 which was tempting but £££'s if it goes wrong!

I'm not a "serious" driver, I go to work and back and a weekend little blast, up on to the bypass and round a few twisty fast roads - nothing major.

Loved the RS but the money was on the table and I had to take it!

Mark
The E46 is stupidly expensive to maintain but then again the Impreza is not cheap either.

If you honestly not looking to mod the car and looking for a daily thrill seeker then I would agree with the guys above and go for a STI PPP.

I brought the GB270 Wagon because I loved the looks but had every intention of modding it to a degree that felt reasonable. If you want something that is quick out the starting blocks and easy enough to manage as the everyday car then the STI will be the way forward. 2.0ltr motor is more preferable due to reliability issues with the 2.5 but some 2.5's can go on for years without fail so it is really luck with the draw.

If the one you looking at has a FSSH and been well looked after on good fuel then not much I suppose you can factor in above that. End of the day it all depends on what you prefer.

Good luck with the purchase
Old 10 July 2013, 01:58 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As above, there will be nothing in it performance wise or fuel consumption, and with a couple of cheap simple handling mods the subaru would get my vote for the fastest on all but the straightest flatest dry road.

Subarus are not so expensive to maintain especially if you don't mind getting your hands dirty for simple stuff like oil changes and brake pads, both of which are very easy jobs.

The 2.5L engine does have a bit of a rep for letting go but the WRX is for some reason less prone than the STI.

I say you pays your money and you takes your chances, the only thing that puts me off is the almost £500 a year road tax, mine is enough at half the price, but I presume you will still have cash in the pot from the RS once you buy the scoob, so if the worst happens then at least you'll have the funds.

Personally i'd fit forged internals etc before it let go, as it can be done for a grand less than after.
Old 10 July 2013, 02:15 PM
phila78
Scooby Regular

Hi guys,

Many thanks!

Mark
Hi, I sold my mk 2 Focus RS (green, best colour) and bought a STI and IMO the STI is a better car to drive and sounds better. There is not much in it regards looks factor.

Reliability is the same if you can find a nice unabused example of a Subaru then they are very reliable.

I haven’t looked back since selling mine. But wouldn’t go for a GB270 go for a nice example of a STI.

My STI is running 330bhp and it feels a lot quicker than a standard RS and overall holds the road better.

Go for it, don’t think you will regret it, just find a nice example of a STI.