Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I never knew a gear oil change could make such a difference...

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2013, 11:37 PM
Stiofan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I never knew a gear oil change could make such a difference...

Just a heads up (or i might be the last to know)...

I bought a blob STi recently which i found to crunch into 4 and 6th on high RPM changes and impossible to downshift into 4th without crunching...

She has 57k on the clock but i suspected worn syncros, i did a bit of research and found this thread http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1974185
Talking about 2L of redline lightweight shockproof topped up with Motul Gear 300, i tried the mix today and it's like having a new gearbox, no crunching at all and all the gears seem smoother.

Just thought i would share my experience in case anyone is in a similar position.

Stiofan
Old 19 June 2013, 11:43 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't have bothered with the Motul on top but the Redline is awesome (and expensive) stuff for boxes I use it in all 3 of my scoobs when I had a fleet lol Makes a tired 6 speed silky smooth
Old 20 June 2013, 05:52 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

I had that in my classics but use Millers in a bug , and i find that sometimes 5th is crunching @ high revs, will probably go back to Redline at some point...
Old 20 June 2013, 11:29 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The gearbox oil should be changed every 2 years, a lot of garages don't do it unless you ask them (and a lot of owners don't ask them to do it as its extra cost...) so the oil either breaks down or the level drops and it doesn't lubricate as well as it should.
Did you check the gearbox oil level before the oil was changed?

Tony
Old 20 June 2013, 12:59 PM
Stiofan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
The gearbox oil should be changed every 2 years, a lot of garages don't do it unless you ask them (and a lot of owners don't ask them to do it as its extra cost...) so the oil either breaks down or the level drops and it doesn't lubricate as well as it should.
Did you check the gearbox oil level before the oil was changed?

Tony
No I didn't check the level, it had just had a service less than 4k ago but no mention of gear oil change, the last record i could see for a gear oil change was at a 30k service.
I usually do all the work on my cars but decided to just have a garage do the work on the STi, i haven't worked on an impreza before and wouldn't know where to start, think i might invest in a Haynes manual...
Old 20 June 2013, 02:35 PM
zenith
Scooby Regular

I had my gearbox oil changed at 90k about 2 months ago. It was grinding going from 6th to 5th and into 1st from second at junctions when cold. I'm not sure what the oil was beforehand but I made sure I put decent stuff in it.

It was changed to Motul Gear 300V and although I did notice a difference, it wasn't a massive difference. having read this I'm tempted to pick up some Redline and drain some of the Motul off and replace it.
Old 20 June 2013, 02:39 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

ive got this grinding issue with 2k old millers nt 75w140.. could be worn synchro as box is on 120k (6 speed) and running 600bhp but it's just crunching at high revs into 5th..

is it the Redline Lightweight Shockproof 75w90 i should try? and is it only 2 litres~? drain some out and refill? might be worth a shot.

Last edited by eggy790; 20 June 2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 20 June 2013, 02:47 PM
Scooby Senior

You need 5 for a full 6 speed

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1022-red...il-75w-90.aspx
Old 20 June 2013, 03:02 PM
Inviroman
Scooby Regular

Changed mine with Millers CRX 75/90 in both box and diff, was not done due any issues,one of the items that was on my "to do" list when I bought the car.
All my fluids are Millers.
Old 20 June 2013, 03:05 PM
Stiofan
Scooby Regular

Redline Lightweight Shockproof 75w90
Yeah thats the stuff i used, i put 2L in and topped up with Motul Gear 300.
Old 20 June 2013, 03:49 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

why would you mix oils??

we stopped using Shockproof a number of years ago as the general reason that Redline "solves" crunching issues in our experience is that it causes "drag" on the synchro's and hence the change is slightly delayed and no crunch.....you can have the same effect by being slightly more deliberate with the stick
Old 20 June 2013, 03:51 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol mixing oils...............
Old 20 June 2013, 03:58 PM
Stiofan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AS Performance
why would you mix oils??

we stopped using Shockproof a number of years ago as the general reason that Redline "solves" crunching issues in our experience is that it causes "drag" on the synchro's and hence the change is slightly delayed and no crunch.....you can have the same effect by being slightly more deliberate with the stick
I got the idea from the link in my first post, there a lot of people with similar problems had tried it and got good results. The reason for not using 100% redline shockproof was because the gearbox has a oil pump and the redline shockproof is not recommended for this because of the friction modifiers.

you can have the same effect by being slightly more deliberate with the stick
100% wrong, i tried everything, i could make upshifting into 4th smoother with a slow gear change but this was just because the rpm would drop. Downshifting into 4th felt like there was no synchro and it would crunch no matter what now it feels fine.
Old 20 June 2013, 03:59 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

why would you mix oils??

So, what ese would you do in this situation then if going the fluid route? More delibrate with the stick to me sounds like being more aggressive, can ou elaborate please?

I noticed a mention of one of the Millers products being used solely with what the poster said was the same result as the mix, in the link in the first post.

Is Oilman on these forums, would be good to have his input too imo

Last edited by Mr Footlong; 20 June 2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: chemobrain, didn't fully read, sorry....
Old 20 June 2013, 04:16 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53
cheers mate, will watch the outcome of this thread to see if i should get 2 litres and mix or go 100%
Old 20 June 2013, 04:29 PM
Scooby Senior

why would you mix oils??

Taking this on board, what`s the difference between the Redline and the Millers CRX 75w90 NTyou sell ?

"A blend of full synthetic base oils incorporating new “Nano Technology” additive chemistry to significantly reduce internal frictional and power losses".

I know the Redline states it "contains a unique solid dispersion ", but "nano technology" is a little less descriptive

Old 20 June 2013, 08:03 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

5spd takes 3.5ltrs and 6spd a little over 4ltrs.......................

as for the chemical make-up you'd have to ask a chemist and i dont do the "copy n paste" trick, sorry - just hard earned (long term) experience

as to the excessive wear caused by the Shockproof then its certainly more than we have ever seen when compared to the Millers CRX or Motul 300v oil ranges...........

by "deliberate" read more controlled and slower shifting..............this is exactly what the Redline does as it creates excessive drag on the synchro and hence slows relative the gear change time
Old 20 June 2013, 08:40 PM
Stiofan
Scooby Regular

All i did was Google the problem and the forum post i mentioned was where i found the most success stories, i tried it and it worked I don't know the wizardry behind it i'm just glad of the results, saved me £1000+ on a gearbox rebuild, if that knowledge helps someone else then i'm happy.
Old 20 June 2013, 08:56 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Out of interest...Do you know how long the oil was in the box for as I've just changed mine for a decent fully synth and it feels a lot smoother, Mine was just coming up to the change time but you could feel the difference in the selecting of gears started to feel a little loose if you know what I mean, What I'm trying to get at is a regular change might have yielded the same result.

Alan, Do you still have the upgraded 6-speed shifter bushings in stock, If so what's a delivered price for them
Old 20 June 2013, 08:59 PM
Scooby Senior

5spd takes 3.5ltrs and 6spd a little over 4ltrs.......................

as for the chemical make-up you'd have to ask a chemist and i dont do the "copy n paste" trick, sorry - just hard earned (long term) experience

as to the excessive wear caused by the Shockproof then its certainly more than we have ever seen when compared to the Millers CRX or Motul 300v oil ranges...........

by "deliberate" read more controlled and slower shifting..............this is exactly what the Redline does as it creates excessive drag on the synchro and hence slows relative the gear change time
I don't understand the trick reference, I was genuinely interested. I copied and pasted from the data sheets as I have them to hand from when I was deciding which to purchase. The Millers is spoken about by other sellers in the same breath as the Redline is all. You have to admit nano technology reads as marketing bs

Redline has always worked well for me, if it slows the gear change I haven't noticed
Old 20 June 2013, 09:07 PM
Stiofan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
Out of interest...Do you know how long the oil was in the box for as I've just changed mine for a decent fully synth and it feels a lot smoother, Mine was just coming up to the change time but you could feel the difference in the selecting of gears started to feel a little loose if you know what I mean, What I'm trying to get at is a regular change might have yielded the same result.
Was changed by Subaru about 30k ago...
Old 20 June 2013, 09:09 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Subscribed. Might well try this redline stuff, may get a year or so more out of my stock five speed! Its hanging in there well to be fair, think its only a matter of time though....
Old 20 June 2013, 09:11 PM
Stiofan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Legend
Subscribed. Might well try this redline stuff, may get a year or so more out of my stock five speed! Its hanging in there well to be fair, think its only a matter of time though....
Let us know how you get on!
Old 20 June 2013, 09:21 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Will do bud, gotta be worth a try, its due a change so it cant do any harm 😄
Old 20 June 2013, 10:02 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 53
I don't understand the trick reference, I was genuinely interested. I copied and pasted from the data sheets as I have them to hand from when I was deciding which to purchase. The Millers is spoken about by other sellers in the same breath as the Redline is all. You have to admit nano technology reads as marketing bs

Redline has always worked well for me, if it slows the gear change I haven't noticed
I think Alyn might have been refering to a certain well known oil suppliers 'trick' of doing this?

JohnD
Old 20 June 2013, 10:05 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

I interperatated it as he's not one for using the old trick of copying and pasting information off 'tinternet as an answer to somebodys question,
Old 23 June 2013, 07:10 PM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Rob Legend
I interperatated it as he's not one for using the old trick of copying and pasting information off 'tinternet as an answer to somebodys question,
Who's doing that then ? I'm posing not answering a question given what I've read from the data sheets I've looked at in respect of oils which reduce friction and improve the shift feel, irrespective of whether it cures the problem.

Millers that Alyn sells is sold in the same breath as the Redline by other retailers, so what I'm asking is how does Millers friction reducing 'nano technology' differ from the 'solid dispersions' found in Redline

No trickery intended or implied
Old 23 June 2013, 08:51 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53
Who's doing that then ? I'm posing not answering a question given what I've read from the data sheets I've looked at in respect of oils which reduce friction and improve the shift feel, irrespective of whether it cures the problem.

Millers that Alyn sells is sold in the same breath as the Redline by other retailers, so what I'm asking is how does Millers friction reducing 'nano technology' differ from the 'solid dispersions' found in Redline

No trickery intended or implied
Apologies fella i wasnt referring to anything you have said, just that my interpretation of what Alyn had written, i.e that he dosent copy and paste answers off the internet if hes unsure himself, wasnt directed at any response you have given. 😄
Old 24 June 2013, 09:27 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

"53" no-one is aiming anything at you, it was a ref. on ANother who uses this practise reguarly and passes off info as their own, but is often 10-15yrs out-dated so hardly relevant to more modern oils and advances in tech IMO

as for Millers "NT" tech then it has proven itself to be far more than bull... and replaced a previous offering they used to great effect in competition but which tended to have downsides in shift quality particuarly when cold and for road use that was solved when they changed to NT / this is NOT the same as any other oil blend or additive to my knowledge and is certainly far superior to Redline IMO

the info i post i have collected over numerous years of being involved in large numbers of ompetition/track and road cars having both a busy workshop and also a solid mail order/supply business
Old 24 June 2013, 08:50 PM
Scooby Senior

Thats's fine, I use Redline currently but I was 50/50 on the Millers

It's hard to discern meaningful conclusions from descriptions like 'nano technology', so I've continued using the Redline. If they achieve the same results with different chemical approaches then that's not clear, but if it is the case I'll give the Millers an outing next time as the track abuse will show pretty quickly if it's beneficial

Cheers for the reply

Quick Reply: I never knew a gear oil change could make such a difference...