Sponsored by:

Towbars Again - sorry

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2002, 05:10 PM
Somerset Yokel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I know that this has been done before and I would have searched for it but.......... you know!

Anyway, I am looking to get a towbar fitted to my MY01, but I was wondering what you guys had found. I know that I could go to the dealer but thought that I would ask first.

I will look at a removable unit so that the look of the car is not changed, however, should I use a Subaru one or has an equally good one been found for less?

I am looking to get the single electric set-up but what do they do with the plug? Is it out of sight?

Any information would be greatly received.

Thanks

SY

P.S. Moderators - Pls feel free to move this, I wasn't sure what section to place this in!
Old 20 May 2002, 05:53 PM
wrxeat
Scooby Regular

Wink

get a life...
Old 20 May 2002, 07:14 PM
Scott WT
Scooby Regular

SY (Somerset Yokel)

I'm in the same position as you (although car is UK STi7), there was this thread a couple of weeks ago which contains some useful info:

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?ThreadID=94339

I've emailed Bosal and they say that their removeable towbar will not fit the STi (although I wonder whether they're just saying that to be on the safe side).

Also I found that Brink do one - my notes as follows:

Brink
distributed by
http://www.brinkonline.co.uk/
brink's own technical line 02476 255820
3/4/02 phoned and spoke to someone: yes - serial number 3534 brinkmatic detachable (he can't see wrx sti is excluded from standard model for impreza - check that bumper is the same first if I can - he also said there is no cutout in the bumper and that the product has a blanking plate)
cost would appear to be £225-00 (from brinkonline) including vat, delivery and single electrics kit

Hope this helps, and looking forward to hearing anyone elses experiences (particularly with STi)......anyone?????

Thanks
Scott
Old 20 May 2002, 07:42 PM
Active
Scooby Regular

just made some enquiries with regard to removable tow bars.I was quoted £463 for the supply and fit a bosal one from a Chesterfield dealer. I enquried at a local dealer in Newark he can suppy one for £155.55 and its a strait bolt on diy fit (no drilling required) and the bumper dosn`t require cutting. The electrics plug in to a socket I understand so again this should be a diy possibility.
Bob
Old 20 May 2002, 07:47 PM
Scott WT
Scooby Regular

Bob

What car? ...and are you planning to get one?
Scott
Old 20 May 2002, 08:32 PM
Active
Scooby Regular

Car is a new shape WRX turbo (2002) and yes I am planning to get one as I sail a dinghy during the summer and have a small trialer. Dont fancy towing all the way to Norfolk in the wifes Metro because she would want the Scoob!
The company is Tanvic spares of Newark and they can get one next day. hope this of use to you.
Bob
Old 20 May 2002, 08:47 PM
Scott WT
Scooby Regular

Thanks Bob!
Old 21 May 2002, 09:35 AM
Somerset Yokel
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, but does the Subaru detachable one hide the electric plug?

Wrxeat - Thanks for the constructive post (most useful)- have you ever thought that it is because I have a life that I need to tow something?!?!?!?
Old 21 May 2002, 11:04 AM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

I am in the same position somerset yokel but mine is a dealer fit towbar I sail from Bort y Gest just outside Porthmadog in North Wales
What sort of dinghy have you got.

I,m with you on the WRXEAT comment and no a stupid winky smily face does not make it "Ironic" .

[Edited by mattstant - 5/21/2002 11:07:21 AM]
Old 21 May 2002, 11:35 AM
Active
Scooby Regular

Mattstant, I`m not sure if your remark was intended for me as I`m the only one to mention a dinghy?
It`s a Tinker foldaway rib, so when the tubes are inflated the fibreglass hull becomes rigid so you get the best of both worlds.
I sail mine, main and jib and teach disabled people during the summer months. mind you I often potter about Norfolk using a Mercury 4.5 hp outboard which gives me abt 26 knots.
And to the muppet yes we do have a life, as well as teaching the less fortunate, sailing around Norfolk etc I also race a mirror Dinghy at my local club. A site more constructive than writing stupid responses to a legitimate thread methinks.
Bob
Old 21 May 2002, 01:11 PM
wrxeat
Scooby Regular

Arrhhhh I think its so sweet that your all justifing your lives now

Keep em coming....
Old 21 May 2002, 01:13 PM
Somerset Yokel
Scooby Regular

Angry

Just hop in your EVO then wrxeat and have a "nice" life, justification is not something that anyone has to do!
Old 21 May 2002, 01:15 PM
Somerset Yokel
Scooby Regular

Angry

Oh, and thanks for another worth while post from you ...... NOT
Old 21 May 2002, 01:20 PM
wrxeat
Scooby Regular

Does this mean that your mad..

Calm down and go caravaning or whatever you do..
Old 21 May 2002, 01:22 PM
wrxeat
Scooby Regular

On a more sensible note (I can be at times) what weight can the Impreza tow, around 2.5t ?
Old 21 May 2002, 01:27 PM
Somerset Yokel
Scooby Regular

Why do you care?

From your earlier post - "Get a life" - surely towing anything is not something that you have the slightest interest in.

By the way I am not mad - just would have liked a sensible answer to what I thought was a sensible question. If a BBS is simply for pi55 taking then I will just go to the dealer and ask. I thought that with so many Subaru owners on here I might get the benefit of some experience.

Nuff said, I'm off to the dealer for advice.
Old 21 May 2002, 01:43 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i have a MY01 with bossal removable- stayed away from dealer- went to some local bod via yellow pages- cant remember how much but certainly loads cheaper than subaru who wanted £400 + !!!
Old 21 May 2002, 09:50 PM
Active
Scooby Regular

Sorry you feel that way Yocal just because one prat replied to your thread. I thought the rest of us was sharing some of our findings. I said where you can buy a Bosal one at the right price as it appears to be a DIY job. My local main agent is making enquiries on the plug and socket for the electrics and has promised to get back to me tomorrow.
Bob
Old 22 May 2002, 09:22 AM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

whoops sorry active
got a bit confused mine is a wanderer which is in actual fact my fathers but as he is 70 this month he hardly uses it any more
Old 22 May 2002, 01:26 PM
Active
Scooby Regular

wrxeat. According to my handbook the maximum permissable towing weight for a 2002 wrx turbo is: 1900 kg or 37.39 cwt or 4180 lbs or 1.8699 tons whichever answer you want!
mattstant. (sorry to go off the thread Yokel)..No probs, easy done when the thread is not in front of you when you type a reply. Is the wonderer a larger type of enterprise?. Happy sailing! and Scoobying..
regards Bob
Old 22 May 2002, 02:02 PM
Somerset Yokel
Scooby Regular

Active - thanks for your reply and the other useful contributors. My last post was not aimed at any of you - merely the (now quiet) wrxeat who seemed unable to add anything worthwhile.
Old 23 May 2002, 08:40 AM
wrxeat
Scooby Regular

Sorry Yokey I didn't think of coming back to this thread as you were getting a bit carried away with youself !!!

I take it your not telling everybody about what you found out at the dealers..

Is the towbar your only modification?

Nice one Active quite impressive towing weight, it is based on the towing vehicles overall weight I think.. so if a wrx is about 1200kg tow capacity is 1900kg.
Old 25 May 2002, 08:00 AM
Active
Scooby Regular

wrxeat...yes it is based on the weight of the towing vehicle. Don`t tell anyone you own a caravan on this thread or they will come down on you like a ton of bricks! Happy motoring,
regards Bob