Sponsored by:

Sti to Megane R26?

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2013, 02:36 AM
nobafett
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sti to Megane R26?

It looks like I might have to sell the sti (see for sale section), was wondering if any of you guys had driven an R26 either before of after owning an impreza. It's the only thing that's floating my boat at the moment. Ta.
Old 08 June 2013, 04:22 AM
harrisard
Scooby Regular

I had a 225 mate an loved it pretty quick and they hold the road really well, just missed having a scoob tho so sold it after 8 months and got another scoob!!

harri
Old 08 June 2013, 05:19 AM
nobafett
Scooby Regular

Thanks. I know I'll miss the sti loads, but from what I've read, the R26 is pretty great and with the limited slip diff, another step above the 225.
Old 08 June 2013, 10:44 AM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

my missus had a 225 as well in essence the same car was a 55 plate if I remember and had nothing but hassle with it electrical problems, coil packs constantly going, boost issues, ecu problems the list went on from when we bought it to when we sold it a few year back and was very glad to see the back of it!! can only tell from personal experience afraid
Old 08 June 2013, 10:52 AM
wrcdaf
Scooby Regular

My brother and I both have STi's but before hand I had an R27 Clio and he had the R26 Megane, the Megane is a great, superb handling, very fast car. You could do a lot worse!
Old 08 June 2013, 10:59 AM
simon57
Scooby Regular

I sold up and got a 225 cup packed ph1.

yes they have the Renault electric gremlins. and other bits and bobs. I would suggest you go on meganesport and get one from an enthusiast just like on here so you know its been cared for.

I love mine. after throwing money at it to get it back to what it should be. as the last owner didn't bother.

its a different drive to the scoob yes. the chassis on these motors are fantastic and you can drive them on a limit that you couldn't do with the scoob...well my **** went before the scoob did.

things to look out for are

window motors
lower swivel hub bearings
injectors. (popping through the exhaust on idle)
coil packs
top engine mount tends to sag.
cv boot clips
tyre pressure monitors.
cam belt change.
inner and outer track rod ends.

id just make sure you get one that's been cared for fella.
everyone seem to favour rs tuning in leeds for remapping etc...

Last edited by simon57; 08 June 2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08 June 2013, 11:05 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

My eldest has had a Clio 197 Sport for four years, loves it and has had NO electrical problems.
Old 08 June 2013, 11:27 AM
nobafett
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the heads up guys, the thought of going 'French' does scare me some what, but I'm wondering if the R26 would be worth a punt. The other two I'm looking at are a mark v Gti and the focus st. Know all about the Gti as my other car is a modded vRS and I drive a bog standard Focus at work. The R26 definitely seems to represent the best value for money out of the 3.
Old 08 June 2013, 01:57 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Dont forget that RenaultSport models are made on a different production line. They SHOULD be better built.
Old 08 June 2013, 02:39 PM
wrcdaf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nobafett
Thanks for the heads up guys, the thought of going 'French' does scare me some what, but I'm wondering if the R26 would be worth a punt. The other two I'm looking at are a mark v Gti and the focus st. Know all about the Gti as my other car is a modded vRS and I drive a bog standard Focus at work. The R26 definitely seems to represent the best value for money out of the 3.
I am slightly biased towards renaultsport but it wouldn't be a difficult choice for me, I think the megane is much more focused
Old 08 June 2013, 03:10 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

We have before Renault Megane 225 F1,which has been pretty awesome car.
Good bits on the Renault has been Brembo,great suspension and interior,which is great place to be,but that's it

If you are looking to modify or save money on the fuel,you will be better off to have WRX...

Engine is not the strongest and really if you are looking go above 320bhp/320lb-ft,you will need get engine forged and cost of this is more than rebuild on Subaru

Jura
Old 08 June 2013, 07:59 PM
nobafett
Scooby Regular

Thanks, but I wouldnt be looking to modify and not too worried about fuel, just going to need a cheaper car. I have looked at older Sti's but for similar money I can get a much newer and lower mileage R26.
Old 08 June 2013, 09:11 PM
djr
Scooby Regular

Focus for me more reliable and a v broad torque band and the 5pot sounds brill
Old 08 June 2013, 09:20 PM
simon57
Scooby Regular

miltek, itg filter and a RS tuning map seems to be bring the best out on these.

anything over 300/300 is a risk.

the treadline recaros are £800 a pair S/H...not like your £400 for a full STI interior lol..
Old 08 June 2013, 09:48 PM
Jamie330S
Scooby Regular

I dont think you'd regret it at all. I sold my R26 F1 to upgrade to a Hatch STi, but wow what a machine it really was, on road or track.

I didn't touch mine, didn't want to ruin it. Seemed pretty well setup as standard.
Old 08 June 2013, 09:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

The Renaultsport seats are actually MORE comfortable than the Recaros.
Old 09 June 2013, 11:15 AM
simon57
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
don't look as flashy though but I know what you mean fella..
Old 09 June 2013, 11:24 PM
matt350
Scooby Newbie

I had an R26 a cople of years ago and I have to say I loved it. Before the STI it was the best car I have owned. Down a twisty road I will guarantee it will put a smile on your face. The standard set up is so well sorted.

Mine had been very well looked after by an enthusiast, like me, before I had it so I had no problems at all. The person above picked up most of the known problems. On mine the clutch made a groan noise that apparently loads of them do. Disconcerting but apparently nothing to worry about. Just make sure it's an R26, not a 225 adapted to look like one. The LSD is worth the extra ££ alone. Oh and the recaros were almost as good as the ones in the STI.

Only reason I sold mine was I got a company car. Gutted to see it go.
Old 09 June 2013, 11:26 PM
matt350
Scooby Newbie

Personal choice but I really don't agree with this....
Old 10 June 2013, 09:05 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by matt350
Personal choice but I really don't agree with this....
you can spend ££££££££'s on a seat and it can still be uncomfortable for you, its all down to body shape etc
Old 11 June 2013, 05:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

My youngest is now looking at an F1 Megane.

He is 23 with full ncd and six years driving, plus protected ncd.

Would he be better off with a Focus? If so, why?
Old 11 June 2013, 05:34 PM
amh82
Scooby Regular

I'd love an R26, but never been in one personally.

I thought about going down the Megane RS route after my 182 (which was fault free in my ownership), but those that said the Clio's were bad for reliability said the Megane's were even worse, electrics, etc but also something about hub swivels iirc. I'm sure it was a when not if they go, and that they were expensive and non-servicable. That was a while back though. Still think they look great, and I loved my 182, was just a bit small - don't get me looking at Megane RS's again......

For those that have had them, how do they compare for space inside, to a newage Scooby?

Last edited by amh82; 11 June 2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12 June 2013, 12:29 PM
Frenchwood
Scooby Regular

I've had a few French cars over the years (and no, my username is nothing to do with that! lol) and each and everyone of them has had electrical problems, and has eaten suspension components like they're made of chocolate.

Speaking to a guy at work who worked for Renault for years in the design process (gearboxes), he reckons the reason for the suspension component issues is that our roads are much worse than those in France, and the car literally shakes itself to bits over the years. This would also explain why older Renault's/Peugeot's/Citreon's interior panels rattle so much.

He also thinks the electrical gremlins are present as our worse weather causes plenty of water ingress.

Whether any of that is true I don't know, but it's certainly possible. Either that or the french assembly lines are ran by spanner wielding gibbons who love to build poor quality motors.

SO....

If it's a low mileage motor that has been looked after properly, and never wanted for anything, then I'd say to go for it!

I, personally; would struggle to force myself to buy another French car.
Old 12 June 2013, 12:48 PM
matt350
Scooby Newbie

Interesting. I owned a 182 clio from new, so that doesn't really count, but my R26 was three years old when i got it, albeit well looked after. I will be interesting to see if the STI interior rattles less than the R26 one did, in three years time, as my R26 felt pretty well screwed together. Again, not a criticism of the STI (so far the best car i have owned) more a defense of the R26.

The on road experience was very similar too, it felt very tight despite having done 30k miles. I may have got one screwed together by the only sober man in Dieppe though?!?
Old 12 June 2013, 12:53 PM
matt350
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by amh82

For those that have had them, how do they compare for space inside, to a newage Scooby?
Obviously the R26 being a three door only (the other RS Meganes were available in 5 door) you will notice a difference over a newage scooby in the back but depends who is going to sit in there. The hardest thing is how little room the Recaro's give you to get in the back. I'm average build 5'10" and really struggled. Had to be pulled out by a mate!! Boot isn't a bad size though, that bum has to have some benefits!!
Old 12 June 2013, 01:45 PM
Frenchwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matt350
Interesting. I owned a 182 clio from new, so that doesn't really count, but my R26 was three years old when i got it, albeit well looked after. I will be interesting to see if the STI interior rattles less than the R26 one did, in three years time, as my R26 felt pretty well screwed together. Again, not a criticism of the STI (so far the best car i have owned) more a defense of the R26.

The on road experience was very similar too, it felt very tight despite having done 30k miles. I may have got one screwed together by the only sober man in Dieppe though?!?
Or maybe it's just the way I drive that shakes them to bits! lol

A sober man in Dieppe... You ARE joking aren't you?? lol
Old 12 June 2013, 04:05 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thing is, unlike Scoobs, Renaultsport models ARE made on a totally separate production line. As were the old Ford Rallye Sport models.

And it does show.
Old 12 June 2013, 04:44 PM
Frenchwood
Scooby Regular

Thing is, unlike Scoobs, Renaultsport models ARE made on a totally separate production line. As were the old Ford Rallye Sport models.

And it does show.
That's quite possibly why people have said that they seem better than I've noted!

Although my 205GTi's were dynamite, they rattled more than a bottle of pills... I guess Peugeot didn't use a separate production line! lol

I would actually like to have a go in an R26, but I still don't think I could buy another French motor!! Lol
Old 12 June 2013, 09:13 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Nope, Peugeot use the same production line.

And my 205GTi 1.9 had rattles almost from new.