A Wrx for my friend

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2013, 11:08 AM
Dnalunchie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Wrx for my friend

Hey all

A friend of mine is considering updating their car soon. They, like me are a huge subaru fan and has owned a couple different STI's and wrx's through their life. We grew up together and are both in our late 20's and starting to get a bit more mature with car choices. Anyway he has settled on a Hawkeye shape and now is just deciding on the model.

We were chatting about it today and he can't decide if he should spend the extra on an STI or just go for a nice wrx. He said he would never take the car on the track and would only be doing the basic exhaust,intake and ecu remap in terms of mods and maybe some nicer wheels, nothing major. We both live in the city and the most action the car would see is going out for a nice long boost in the hills on a sunny day up and down some twisty mountain roads and up and down the ski fields during ski season.

Also something worth consider is the WRX comes in a LTD spec which has a full leather interior which is of course very nice as well, so I guess what I am asking on behalf is is there any reason you can think of why he should buy the STI over the WRX if track work or racing is not involved? I mean surely the wrx would be able to get up a snowy mountain access road as easy as an sti?

Anyway what do you guys think?

Also one last point, am I right in saying that a 2ltr wrx with intake/exhaust/ecu is going to be about as quick as a stock sti?

Also does the stock wrx still have good handling for carving up fun roads?
Old 02 June 2013, 11:22 AM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

If you can afford it I would go sti as its a better spec also a hawk eye is 2.5 not 2.0 which are crap unless you go for the stronger sti version
Old 02 June 2013, 11:39 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice roads your planning on carving up had some fun up there myself in a big sloppy v6 vauxhall on my way up to the glacier.

I presume your talking about JDM Imprezas because your in kiwi land?

If so it will be a 2.0 twin scroll not a 2.5 single scroll.

I'd go for the STI as well, as it will save money in the long run and get more power than the WRX just from a remap, so what you spend buying you save modding so to speak.
Old 02 June 2013, 11:58 AM
Dnalunchie
Scooby Regular

Ah I should have clarified, in NZ we get JDM so both the wrx and the sti would be a 2ltr, the wrx would be single scroll turbo and the sti twinscroll.

Yeah the roads in NZ are very nice for driving.

Problem is in nz a nice condition (40.000miles) 2006/2007 sti costs 25k, the equiv condition and year wrx costs 15k

Big price difference.

I wonder if a stock wrx would be okay in the snow as I know he is a big skier....
Old 02 June 2013, 03:03 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

we're talking NZ dollars though if so somewhere around £4k difference which is about the same here, although the JDM WRX is better spec than a uk and we'd be looking at 40k miles not kilometres.

I wouldn't complain too much, you guys have got it pretty good, we're struggling with the yen exchange rate at the moment and the price of fresh imports is through the roof.
Old 02 June 2013, 03:37 PM
Dnalunchie
Scooby Regular

haha yeah maybe your exchange rate is bad but 2 years ago the govt in NZ passed a law banning the import of cars older than 2007 so we can now only import the current shape hatch on wards. That has had a significant effect on the value of JDM stuff here.
Old 02 June 2013, 03:42 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

If NZ Impreza is based on ADM/JDM,then 2.0L WRX should have AVCS and this helps on the spool up and top end,just difference between the STI and WRX AVCS heads are cams,both heads are Big port heads

If your friends will be looking for more power,engine should be OK for 400bhp,then forging the engine is only option,we are run same block(EJ205 Open Deck,WRX using EJ205) stroker'd to 2.1L at 490bhp/480lb-ft without the issue

Jura