Sponsored by:

My wife is right...

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2013, 11:31 AM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My wife is right...

I'm a pedant for the speed limits, especially 20s, 30s and 40s, but I'll get cracking (within the limits of course) once you're allowed to.

For several years I've had people overtaking me, particularly as we leave a 30 limit, in the (incorrect) assumption that I'll hold them up in the 60s. This has always been when we're in our daily driver (a Mondeo, then a couple of Fiestas) and it annoys me intensely.

I've often said to Mrs O 'they wouldn't have done that if we'd been in the Scooby' and she has always replied that it would have made no difference what we were in. Until this morning, I've assumed she was wrong.

Coming out of a 30 into a 40 in the Type 20, we were overtaken by an old chap in a battered old Focus estate! I resisted the enormous temptation to show him the error of his ways, but my wife once again pointed out that it doesn't matter what you drive, it will still happen.

Back in the 30s, he just carried on at around 40mph. And I'll bet his insurance is still cheap.

Remembering this is a public forum, does this happen to anyone else (or am I just an old bimbler)?

PS. Anyone also on the www.oldfocusestate.co.uk forum, please disregard the bragging of Mr Wheeler about how he 'took a Scooby this morning....'
Old 27 May 2013, 11:56 AM
chasey
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt let no clapped out ford over take me, you should have sucked it up your air filter and spat it out the exhaust.
Old 27 May 2013, 12:22 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you see the line of cars behind me in kibworth.
i love holding em up.
i stick to the limit through towns etc hence i have 0 points
Old 27 May 2013, 12:27 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

I've a feeling we may be twins Tommy, but if you check back to yesterday's posts, it wasn't you I saw in Kibworth as far as I can tell.
Old 27 May 2013, 12:30 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Osimabu
I've a feeling we may be twins Tommy, but if you check back to yesterday's posts, it wasn't you I saw in Kibworth as far as I can tell.
Ah well its my regular route home.
i like the bend under the bridge on the way out.
Old 27 May 2013, 12:34 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

So do I, unless I'm trying to turn right onto the A6 from West Langton - eek!
Old 27 May 2013, 12:49 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

haha i feel like im dying inside when im out with the misses, she CONSTANTLY looks at my speedo and if i go in to boost i get a bit of a mouthing off at.

Worst one was we were on a 50 Road clear duel carrageway and a fellow scooby came past quite happily about 60mph beeping away

And i was there beeping back Stuck just below 50mph, felt like a right Sunday driver
Old 27 May 2013, 01:13 PM
logger
Scooby Regular

I always stick to the limits in built up area's and sometimes on quite roads aswell. Take in the sights last time i upset someone was, typically a bmw driver. Sat on my bumper for a few miles in a 30 zone. Tried to overtake me when a car pulled out of the junction. Got back behind me. Then goes to a 60 zone went to overtake me but couldnt hit 60 and i stuck there. He went "waving" at me cought him up a few minutes later in all the corners. Was going so slow i had to overtake. Gave him a "wave" back lol
Old 27 May 2013, 01:33 PM
steve-s
Scooby Regular

the village I live in is a 30mph when leaving the village in either direction its a 50mph.
I often get caught behind someone doing 40 in the 50 and they carry on doing 40 in the 30, they must think because you do 10 below that allows you to do 10 above.
also get people when in the 30 either sat on my bumper or overtaking me, if in my van or Scooby.
Old 27 May 2013, 01:58 PM
magictree
Scooby Regular

Even better are the ones who drive within inches of your bumper all the way down the road, but then stay in the left hand lane behind you at the lights because they dont fancy their chances...and mine is only a sport or as the misses calls it a 'furbo' (fake turbo) makes me wonder how they didnt see the sport sticker on the boot considering they were within licking distance
Old 27 May 2013, 02:03 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Back in the 30s, he just carried on at around 40mph. And I'll bet his insurance is still cheap.
Not the constant velocity driver? Used to see this a lot when I was at college in Abingdon, people who would drive at a constant 40mph regardless of speed limit,
Old 27 May 2013, 03:51 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by magictree
.and mine is only a sport or as the misses calls it a 'furbo' (fake turbo)
I like that
Old 27 May 2013, 04:09 PM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Always stick to the 30's and 40's in villages, towns, residential areas - anywhere there could be kids running about, last thing you want to do is hit a child in the last couple of meters of your stop, knowing that if you had been at the speed limit, you wouldn't of hit them.
Old 27 May 2013, 05:10 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep i'm a grumpy old git too, always stick to the speed limits in town and the villages round my way, even when im having a blast I pay attention to the speed i'm doing, so easy to be doing almost double the limit on some country roads when stretching it's legs, especially since they changed a lot of them to 50mph, one eye on the rear and one on the horizon, could do with a couple more sometimes.
Old 27 May 2013, 05:22 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Remembering this is a public forum, does this happen to anyone else (or am I just an old bimbler)?
Yes, I get this crap too, and I'm sick of it TBH. Car or bike, it makes no difference whether or not I end up with some idiot 6 feet behind me in a 30 who then seems genuinely surprised by what happens when we get to an NSL stretch.

1000cc sports bike, doing 30 in a 30 limit. What's he likely to do in a 70 limit? Is it really that hard to work out? Go on, have a guess - and here's a hint, it's not going to be 45.
Old 27 May 2013, 08:38 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

I get the tailgating in the 30 limit as well. I find that slowing down to 25 for a bit winds them up even more, and they eventually get the idea It does really wind me up tho, those folk that call themselves safe drivers and drive at 40mph through a 30 limit in the town, and then stick to 40 when the limit is 60. Both cases are very likely to cause accidents. It breeds ignorance as they don't change their driving style for either situation so they are generally far less aware of their surroundings.

Reminds me of a story I heard about an elderly chap who was pulled over for failing to indicate for most of his journey from home into the nearby village. When asked about it, he responded to the officers "I've been driving the same route for 40 years - they should know where I'm going by now!" made me laugh
Old 27 May 2013, 10:06 PM
GWJ
Scooby Regular

I like the "the constant velocity driver" it describes them perfectly, why cant these old duffers (most of them seem to be of the old duffer category) be taken off the road for retraining, they are ignorant and inconsiderate drivers who just cant be thinking about what they are doing.
Old 27 May 2013, 10:17 PM
romford-boy
Scooby Regular

More and more recently I am coming across drivers who go significantly below the speed limit, 20 in 30s, 30 in 60s - it's as though people are becoming so concerned about the cost of fuel they just whack it in 5th and trundle around on idle.