My in car PC - Raspberry Pi

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2013, 09:34 PM
dan-lincs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My in car PC - Raspberry Pi

Hey guys,

Today I had the idea of gettin my in car PC idea off the group to fit in with remapping, I started this back in dec last year and laid it to rest when I could not get romraider working correctly, however today I managed to logging correctly working, this should also mean I am able to setup a media centre and be able to flash my car.

Heres a short ish vid of it running, hopefuly get a more in depth one sorted soon.

Old 19 May 2013, 10:27 PM
joshnosh
Scooby Regular

so you have no plans off using this all the time then? as you would have to carry round a keyboard an mouse?
Old 19 May 2013, 10:39 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

I didn't know there was a keyboard under the steering wheel. I shall have to have a look next time I'm grovelling around in the footwell

Interesting project. I'll stick to my OBD2 reader and phone for now.
Old 20 May 2013, 01:50 AM
Ed-EG
Scooby Regular

As a linux fan I think this is a great idea! Will you be using it purely for data logging or do you have other plans for it as well? I'm not sure whether it's possible but attaching a bluetooth dongle could let it pair with your phone...

On a side note, I reckon you should look in to getting something like this
Compact keyboard with Trackball Compact keyboard with Trackball
. That would eliminate the need to switch out the mouse for the OBDII input, and would probably fit in the glovebox out of the way.
Old 20 May 2013, 09:37 AM
dan-lincs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gdavey
I didn't know there was a keyboard under the steering wheel. I shall have to have a look next time I'm grovelling around in the footwell

Interesting project. I'll stick to my OBD2 reader and phone for now.
Lol. Is your OBD2 reader SSM2 compatible?, if not this will read alot more sensors compair this to say the torque app theres quite a few more settings esp if your looking at remapping. It should also support a wireband o2 aswell.
Old 20 May 2013, 09:59 AM
bengo
Scooby Regular

I have been thinking about using my raspberry pi for this for a while but the boot times and small screen put me off.

It would be great to have a version of ECU Flash working on Debian!
Old 20 May 2013, 10:12 AM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

So this rasperry pi thingemy bob .... does it just run linux? is there an ability to run programmes and hardware in a similar way to a windows machine?

How expandable is it?

Does linux work in a way which gets rid of the need for frontend software?

Ive built a carpc into mine which live links to the syvecs ecu, however it was a bit of a ballache to setup and still has things im not happy about ... but all in all its really handy for logging/gps/tunes etc.

Old 20 May 2013, 10:26 AM
Ed-EG
Scooby Regular

From what I've read you can install plenty of different linux distributions, and also android.

http://www.techradar.com/news/softwa...-rated-1147941
Old 20 May 2013, 04:28 PM
scoobaru mad
Scooby Regular

I wanted to use either rev lite, dynolicious, or a data logging app, by using an obd2 reader.

But it turns out, once the cars mapped. You can't. You need something called SSM an a VAG lead an other bits an bobs

Real pin the bum to do..
Old 20 May 2013, 07:55 PM
dan-lincs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobaru mad
I wanted to use either rev lite, dynolicious, or a data logging app, by using an obd2 reader.

But it turns out, once the cars mapped. You can't. You need something called SSM an a VAG lead an other bits an bobs

Real pin the bum to do..
It needs to be SSM2 (Subaru Select Monitor) compliant, the vag com lead can be converted to support this, also another option is to buy a Tactrix lead (the older version is fine for 2003-2005 (non-canbus) cars. The newer version supports canbus but is around £120 from the states, the vagcom cable can be got for less than £10 and theres guides on how to convert it.
Old 20 May 2013, 07:58 PM
dan-lincs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by L3YMS
I just bought a thing called a ipazzport for £13 off e-bay. or search for air fly mouse. Its a keyboard and pointer mouse thing (think Wii remote) and the latest have touchpad too that supports pinch zoom etc. flip it over and its a programmable IR remote that can code learn so it can control audio or tv equipment. Better on a big screen I would think though. Its plug & play and recharges off usb, has backlighting too. works with lots of o/s , android, windows, Linux...
Oooo now that would proberly solve all the problems in one! I wonder if it would work with the Pi tho as its Arm.... Maybe worth a punt at that price tho

Old 20 May 2013, 08:02 PM
dan-lincs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legacy_gtb
So this rasperry pi thingemy bob .... does it just run linux? is there an ability to run programmes and hardware in a similar way to a windows machine?

How expandable is it?

Does linux work in a way which gets rid of the need for frontend software?

Ive built a carpc into mine which live links to the syvecs ecu, however it was a bit of a ballache to setup and still has things im not happy about ... but all in all its really handy for logging/gps/tunes etc.
People have managed to emulate windows on it however the load times for windows XP where around 10mins last time I looked. But yes Linux is its main OS, many version out there and there was talks of running ubuntu but not sure if that was pulled or not....

TBH i'm not sure the Pi is quite powerful enough to make it do logging, gps and be a full media centre as it only runs at 700mhz standard (OC'ed mine to 920 which made a HUGE difference), also mine is just the 256ram version not the latest 512 which would proberly help. Another thing is I dont think my SD card is up the job as writing the OS was only at around 1mb/sec which is quite slow, not sure on the read speed.