Sponsored by:

Any idea?

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2013, 08:32 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any idea?

Evening all just after some advice. I have a classic turbo 2000 running over 300bhp but I have recently noticed a problem and was wondering if anyone had any idea what the problem could be. Everytime I start the car be it in the morning or after it has been left for a while I notice that after a few minutes while warming up after starting the revs drop then return to normal again it does this for around a minute or so then idles fine. I have no check engine light on the car drives fine but my first though was the maf sensor but any ideas what the problem could be please. Thanks in advance.
Old 01 May 2013, 10:46 PM
RType
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few questions.

A, why do you leave it idling so long?
B, does it really matter that the idle fluctuates?
C, why dont you take it to whoever mapped it to over 300bhp so they can check it?
Old 01 May 2013, 11:14 PM
mnem1c
Scooby Regular

Check the ecu for error codes mate
Old 01 May 2013, 11:22 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

In reply to your questions:-
A) I leave it idling so long because its called letting the car warm up as per my post. I also let it cool down after I have been out in the car and not just turn the engine straight off if that's ok!!!
B) yes it bothers me if the idling fluctuates while the car is warming up as I want it running correctly like any normal person and to me if the revs are dropping then returning to normal while it is warming up to me that's not normal.
C) My car was modified by Scoobyclinic in chesterfield and as I'm in South Wales driving 5 or so hours each way to see what the problem may be (probably something simple) doesn't make sense hence why I put this post on Scoobynet.

Hope your questions are answered!!
Old 01 May 2013, 11:23 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info mnem1c.
Old 01 May 2013, 11:24 PM
j4meswrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RType
I have a few questions.

A, why do you leave it idling so long?
B, does it really matter that the idle fluctuates?
C, why dont you take it to whoever mapped it to over 300bhp so they can check it?

mate the guy is after advice the car obviously has a problem he was describing the problem ie revs fluctuate then return to normal after a minute not meaning he waits before he drives it all the tim, and yes if revs fluctuate I wud be a be concerned as it shouldn't

best advice if your concerned take to one of the tuners or mappers to see what it is actually doing

could possibly be dirty/ failing maf or a dodgy idle control valve what year is car ?

Last edited by j4meswrx; 01 May 2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02 May 2013, 07:49 AM
Stoff1
Scooby Regular

As above I would say a dirty maf sensor
Old 02 May 2013, 08:02 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

This might be a forewarning of a MAF sensor problem (I think classics are known for it ?).

I've researched other threads via Google and it might be worth unplugging the MAF while the idle is fluctuating. If the engine stops it's an indication that the MAF is OK. The Idle Control Valve is another thing mentioned.

I'm not a technical person but presumably the temperature could have something to do with it, since if it fluctuates after a few minutes, then disappears logically it would only be occuring within a particular temperature range?

PS, don't go looking on the US sites. They seem to be happy to do - and recommend - all sorts of bizarre things to their cars.

btw Error code 23 indicates a faulty MAF apparently.
Old 02 May 2013, 08:21 AM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

I've researched other threads via Google and it might be worth unplugging the MAF while the idle is fluctuating. If the engine stops it's an indication that the MAF is OK

This is a myth
Old 02 May 2013, 08:46 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hpoolsteve
I've researched other threads via Google and it might be worth unplugging the MAF while the idle is fluctuating. If the engine stops it's an indication that the MAF is OK

This is a myth
Thanks. I wouldn't want to send anyone on a wild goose chase.
Old 02 May 2013, 08:55 AM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap
This might be a forewarning of a MAF sensor problem (I think classics are known for it ?).

I've researched other threads via Google and it might be worth unplugging the MAF while the idle is fluctuating. If the engine stops it's an indication that the MAF is OK. The Idle Control Valve is another thing mentioned.

I'm not a technical person but presumably the temperature could have something to do with it, since if it fluctuates after a few minutes, then disappears logically it would only be occuring within a particular temperature range?

PS, don't go looking on the US sites. They seem to be happy to do - and recommend - all sorts of bizarre things to their cars.

btw Error code 23 indicates a faulty MAF apparently.
Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap
Thanks. I wouldn't want to send anyone on a wild goose chase.
I did exactly the same on an old classic. When i came on here the response i got form a very clever ex member on here (splitpin) was:

"That is complete b*llsh*t and proves absolutly nothing....."

Last edited by hpoolsteve; 02 May 2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02 May 2013, 09:37 AM
thunder8
Scooby Regular

mine did something similer ,idle from cold ok when warmed up revs would be all over the place at idle then be ok...

I bit the bullet and got a new maf £130 and all sorted ..

Also been told by a few people on this forum that the mafs in 98,99,2000 models need replacing every 12 mths ..

my last maf lasted 2 1/2 years ,how long it was in there before i don,t no ....

but £130 every 12 mths i don,t think so as with everyone else i,m on a budget....maybe every 2 years lol.... might evan start thinking simtec as mafless on that ecu set up

hope this helps
Old 02 May 2013, 09:41 AM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thunder8
mine did something similer ,idle from cold ok when warmed up revs would be all over the place at idle then be ok...

I bit the bullet and got a new maf £130 and all sorted ..

Also been told by a few people on this forum that the mafs in 98,99,2000 models need replacing every 12 mths ..

my last maf lasted 2 1/2 years ,how long it was in there before i don,t no ....

but £130 every 12 mths i don,t think so as with everyone else i,m on a budget....maybe every 2 years lol.... might evan start thinking simtec as mafless on that ecu set up

hope this helps
Mate, they dont need replacing every year. They are just known for being very fragile.