Sponsored by:

rattling boot lid/mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2013, 06:28 PM
ben_uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattling boot lid/mechanism

I have a 06 WRX STI, great to drive.. I know the interiors arn't the best in the world in these, but the worst rattle I get when driving comes from the boot lid.. the boot also creaks when opening.

Anyone also have this problem? Is it the bars that hold the trunk up rattling? I'll keep trying to identify it, but just thought I would post incase there are a few people who have already done it?
Old 25 April 2013, 06:40 PM
hooley scoob
Scooby Regular

mine does it aswell its bloody annoying. I think its the bars as you said. mine is a 2002 sti prodrive
Old 25 April 2013, 07:23 PM
ben_uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hooley scoob
mine does it aswell its bloody annoying. I think its the bars as you said. mine is a 2002 sti prodrive
I'll try and work out what it is, annoying at slow speeds
Old 25 April 2013, 07:24 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm I got this too, both creaking and rattling.
Old 25 April 2013, 09:17 PM
ben_uk
Scooby Regular

You can even hear the boot (slightly) when the back door is closed firmly!
Old 25 April 2013, 09:19 PM
faz27
Scooby Regular

hi guys ive got a fix for you! i had the same problem on my buugeye. tried everything checked the toolkit to make sure secure, tried tightening the boot catch to make sure tight fit. but got talking to a customer at scoobyspares and he had the same problem and the fix is ...... when the boot lid shuts there is a little foot at either side if you look where they touch the bottom itll be worn away. the fix is (on mine at least) drill a small hole in the middle of where the feet are then screw a rubber washer down. this stops the boot lid from creaking and rattling on the back of the car when it touches. you can try it before you drill a hole by putting some thick double sided foam tape on this bit which'll stop it temporarily. ill take a piccy if ya want and post it but its dark at mo lol
Old 25 April 2013, 09:20 PM
ben_uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by faz27
hi guys ive got a fix for you! i had the same problem on my buugeye. tried everything checked the toolkit to make sure secure, tried tightening the boot catch to make sure tight fit. but got talking to a customer at scoobyspares and he had the same problem and the fix is ...... when the boot lid shuts there is a little foot at either side if you look where they touch the bottom itll be worn away. the fix is (on mine at least) drill a small hole in the middle of where the feet are then screw a rubber washer down. this stops the boot lid from creaking and rattling on the back of the car when it touches. you can try it before you drill a hole by putting some thick double sided foam tape on this bit which'll stop it temporarily. ill take a piccy if ya want and post it but its dark at mo lol
excellent.. def worth a go! pic would be great, thanks buddy
Old 25 April 2013, 09:21 PM
faz27
Scooby Regular

ill go in see if i can get a piccy for ya brb
Old 25 April 2013, 09:27 PM
faz27
Scooby Regular

never put piccys on so bear with me. um .. got piccys on desktop any idea now what?
Old 25 April 2013, 09:33 PM
faz27
Scooby Regular

hopefully that should work
Old 25 April 2013, 09:36 PM
faz27
Scooby Regular

ol lol so that shows where the rubber foot touches the car so you can see ive screwed a rubber washer on.i suppose you could try with sticky back foam or just glue a washer on but this work for me. hope that helps. let us know how you get on!
Old 25 April 2013, 09:39 PM
ben_uk
Scooby Regular

cool, thanks for that. I'll see what I can do this weekend :-)
Old 25 April 2013, 09:45 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Had this too , but if you look where you have put the rubber washers it gets slightly dented down every time you close the boot. I tapped the recesses back up a bit with a rubber hammer so that the rubbers on the bootlid have someting to press against.
Old 25 April 2013, 11:50 PM
faz27
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
Had this too , but if you look where you have put the rubber washers it gets slightly dented down every time you close the boot. I tapped the recesses back up a bit with a rubber hammer so that the rubbers on the bootlid have someting to press against.
now why didnt i think of that lol looks ok with the washers though. plus i think my rubber "feet" are a bit worn so the washers just gave it that bit of extra give quite a simple fix for SUCH an annoying sound. i was convinced my shocks were going for ages lol
Old 26 April 2013, 07:12 AM
Type20Paul
Scooby Regular

I noticed this noise when I was test driving the new one. Nice to know what the fix is before I have even picked the car up!
Old 26 April 2013, 09:35 AM
ben_uk
Scooby Regular

Interestingly looking at my boot this morning, I can see the bump stops attached to the lid, but where they rest there is no rubber 'feet' just what looks like a clear plastic circular sticker in their place, presumably to stop and damage to the paint.. Wierd.. I wonder if the original rubber feet just stick on with double sided tape a bit like car badges.
Old 26 April 2013, 02:08 PM
faz27
Scooby Regular

hi ben mine dont have any either. easy way to test it, get something anything to stop the rubber feet of the lid banging and clattering on the bottom, double sided foam or bit of sponge anything really just to cushion, then go for a test drive. if its stopped you can do a permanent fix! but test it first. oh and as for your creakig when opening bit of the old wd40 or oil on the boot hinge will stp that. let us know how you get on
Old 28 April 2013, 08:53 PM
ben_uk
Scooby Regular

So I got some wd40 on the boot hinges and its helped somewhat with the opening and closing.

With regard to the bump stops, I tried with some rubber temporally stuck to that area with some double sided tape, but it didn't really make any difference. I did however find that the spoiler was a little loose on the left side and would make a rattle noise when tapped, so I tightened up the nuts and that stopped that. Went for another drive and it seems much improved.

Now... just the rest of the rattles and squeaks to sort out :-). Although I think it might be a bit of a lost cause! lol. Someone suggested turning up the radio and accelerating harder :-D
Old 28 April 2013, 09:32 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Try spraying the boot springs with WD40.

They don't look like springs as such, but these help the boot go up with the weight of the spoiler etc.

They run the width of the boot under the parcel shelf at the top of the back of the seats if that makes sense.

Mine were creaking on a blob I had, so I've sprayed mine in my 07 plate Hawk just in case.

Get your head right under there and give them a good spraying, wipe of any excess WD40.

You'll see them at the very back, and they cross over each other, but as said, they don't look like a normal spring. I did have 3 or 4 pictures of these springs which I emailed to someone, but can't find them, sorry.
Old 28 April 2013, 09:47 PM
faz27
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ben_uk
So I got some wd40 on the boot hinges and its helped somewhat with the opening and closing.

With regard to the bump stops, I tried with some rubber temporally stuck to that area with some double sided tape, but it didn't really make any difference. I did however find that the spoiler was a little loose on the left side and would make a rattle noise when tapped, so I tightened up the nuts and that stopped that. Went for another drive and it seems much improved.

Now... just the rest of the rattles and squeaks to sort out :-). Although I think it might be a bit of a lost cause! lol. Someone suggested turning up the radio and accelerating harder :-D
i know what you mean rattles never stop. my first scoob ( a blob) had this terrible rattle from the bhoot tried everything till one day i ripped it all out turned out it was the jack not tightened into its bracket properly lol glad its worked out for ya
Old 28 April 2013, 09:53 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Found some pics :

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 29 April 2013, 10:26 PM
Truss
Scooby Regular

I read this thread yesterday thinking my car sounds quite solid. I've driven today and noticed my boot/spoiler creaking haha!
Old 01 May 2013, 07:36 PM
faz27
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Truss
I read this thread yesterday thinking my car sounds quite solid. I've driven today and noticed my boot/spoiler creaking haha!
rattles and knocks never stop do they youy fix one then another one starts lol
Old 02 May 2013, 12:09 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by faz27

This has been fcucking bugging me for ages on my car. Couple of squares of sticky back rubber and problem solved. Thanks for that.
Old 03 May 2013, 08:17 PM
faz27
Scooby Regular

glad to help mate!
Old 03 May 2013, 09:27 PM
Simon Gunson
Scooby Regular

Mine did that but I just had to move the catch on the boot lid and now it doesn't move
Old 05 May 2013, 03:11 PM
faz27
Scooby Regular

yeah i tried that first but5 it was tightened all the way down and turned out to be the feet knocking. defo worth trying that first if any one else has thistrouble
Old 09 January 2015, 04:09 PM
Fletch84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon Gunson
Mine did that but I just had to move the catch on the boot lid and now it doesn't move
Sorry to bring up an old thread but this rattle has been bugging me since I got the car 3 weeks ago! Done some digging and it turned out the boot catch needed moving down, now theres no rattle/squeak anymore!
Old 29 November 2016, 06:11 PM
Da Matser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fletch84
Sorry to bring up an old thread but this rattle has been bugging me since I got the car 3 weeks ago! Done some digging and it turned out the boot catch needed moving down, now theres no rattle/squeak anymore!
3 weeks!? I have had my Hawkeye for 4 years and have just come across this! It's been a problem the whole 4 years and I thought it was the lowering springs that were iffy. Only found this thread as my boot hinge brackets have split and I'm doing some research.
Thanks guys and Hallelujah
Old 29 November 2016, 06:15 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

22 months later.

Quick Reply: rattling boot lid/mechanism