Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil treatments and cleaners, not flush!

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2013, 11:21 AM
STi boi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil treatments and cleaners, not flush!

Hey guy/girls, quick question, wanted to know if any1 has used the products like wynns formula gold engine cleaner, extralube zx1 micro engine cleaner or any similar products that do the same, these are not engine flushes which I hear are not good for scoobs. Iv recently used the wynns formula gold petrol cleaner which goes directly into a full tank of petrol with wonders, noticeable difference straight away. As said above these treatments are not engine flushes, they are added with the engine oil upon changes and left in. Sorry about the long post any replys would be great, Thanks
Old 19 April 2013, 08:40 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd not bother with oil additives. A good quality oil along with frequent changes is all you need.
Old 19 April 2013, 08:48 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Waste of money, just like the fuel additive you used.
Id gaurentee the 'improvement' you 'felt' was in your head.
Old 19 April 2013, 09:59 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used all sorts of additives over the years both oil and fuel. In terms of oil additives, it's a subjective thing. Although you don't necessarily 'feel' any difference, you assume it's doing good by reducing wear. For most of us, we'll never know if it did much good as it's likely the car would be sold on well before any benefits became obvious. I remember using (I think) Slick 50 (PTFE based ) in a Sierra many years ago and recall having to turn down the idle screw as the idle speed had gone up a bit!
In terms of fuel system cleaners it's usually the case that it didn't need cleaning in the first place so no difference is detected. I'm sure that if there is real need, the stuff can help.
I do use a good octane improver (NF Race) as I get lower readings from the KS3 with it's use due, I assume to smoother combustion (although it wasn't to cure a det problem.)

JohnD
Old 19 April 2013, 10:22 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

There was a test carried out and talked about on here. It revealed that oil additives actually did more harm than good.

Fancy (and expensive) crap you pour in to your engine or fuel tank are pointless, nothing but a big con. Good fuel in your tank and good quality oil is all you need. Save the money you'd spend on additives and carry out more frequent oil and filter changes. Far better option.
Old 19 April 2013, 10:30 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by gpssti4
I'd not bother with oil additives. A good quality oil along with frequent changes is all you need.
+1.SJ.
Old 19 April 2013, 10:48 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by stonejedi
+1.SJ.
+1

its just a con to make more money out of stupid motorists
Old 19 April 2013, 11:08 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Once tried slick 50 decades ago on an aging Marina 1.8TC. At the next oil change I found the filter was clogged with the stuff. Have never touched anything like it since.

As said good quality oil (not neccessarily the most trendy or expensive) changed at the correct frequency is the secret. Have used Vauxhall 10W40 semi (£20 a gallon) in my almost standard uk classic daily driver for the last 90,000 miles, changed at 5000 mile intervals with pattern filter, still rattling along at 180,000 Spare engine in the garage waiting for the inevitable.

Petrol additives have been proven by independent testing (which magazine etc) to be a complete waste of money. I do Wyns or STP injector cleaner every 5000 miles as it can't hurt but still have my doubts.

Gearbox additives on the other hand have been proven useful. Used an american additive 5 years ago to shut up a whining gearbox with a sticky 3rd synchro. Worked lovely till it went bang a year later. Didn't cure it, just put it off for a while.

It's your money, your car, your choice.

Last edited by his-n-her-scoobs; 19 April 2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 19 April 2013, 04:30 PM
STi boi
Scooby Regular

nice one guys, will take ur advise and steer way clear.
Old 19 April 2013, 04:51 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use fuel system cleaner in my diesel vehicles about once a year, only because with 4 motors to chose from it's inevitable that one or two don't get used for a while from time to time.

As far as engine cleaner goes I have never used it, I have however just put some stop leak in my VW transporter in a vain attempt to cure a small oil leak prior to changing the oil, I shall report back later, another 200km to do before I drop the oil.

I'd also echo the sentiments above, frequent oil changes in my experience are the answer to prolonged engine life, every 3/5000 dependant on vehicle and use or every 6 months.
Old 19 April 2013, 05:37 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

The best fuel/engine system cleaners seem to be the ones from Archoil/BG. Ive used these in my old diesel pickup and theyve definately helped with smoother running and smoke.
There not cheap- up to £20 a time but do the research on them and your see there state of the art and far superior to some cheap stuff from say Halfrauds.