Sponsored by:

Steer clear of this one

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2013, 08:58 PM
RType
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Steer clear of this one

Bid and won this on ebay last night so got a mate to drive me 90 miles to collect it today.

I had messaged the seller about it a couple of times regarding all the usual things you'd ask, like history, mods, remap etc but got no replies or got a message saying their inbox was full. I bid based on the description and it seemed quite honest and genuine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2810892752...d=468280206347

Got there and asked for the service history, it wasnt mentioned but I thought it might have some, but all I got was 5 reciepts

Went for a drive and it was gutless, hardly any boost at all. It pulled to the left and there was a knocking noise coming from the boot. He said "that spoiler is well heavy mate so the bootlid bangs"

On inspection round the car I found both foglights smashed, front disks and pads completely shot, aircon not working, rust on the bottom of doors, and the MOT had an advisory for 2 new tyres.

When I asked the seller to come down on the price I'd bid he refused and got arsey so I said "ok, I'll go and get the £ from the car" and drove off.

If you want a nail, this is the one for you.

The hunt for a decent Newage Impreza continues. Budget up to 4k, preferably with mods or something cheap that I can make my own over time. PM/post if you have anything for sale. Sorry, no classics, been there done that thanks.
Old 14 April 2013, 09:05 PM
sunnyjones003
Scooby Regular

this is on facebook i think
Old 15 April 2013, 07:26 AM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

someone's bought it lol
Old 15 April 2013, 07:31 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was cheap for a reason.
A blob at that money is going to be a nail
Old 15 April 2013, 09:01 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Wouldn't it have been better to go view the car first before wasting his time ?,,,,,I done a 500 mile round trip yestaday to view two bug eyes with a mate and neither was any good but the adds seemed ok so we just told them what our best offer would be and neither wanted to sell at our offer but everyone was still happy when we left as no ones time was wasted
Old 15 April 2013, 09:11 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by domino46
Wouldn't it have been better to go view the car first before wasting his time ?,,,,,I done a 500 mile round trip yestaday to view two bug eyes with a mate and neither was any good but the adds seemed ok so we just told them what our best offer would be and neither wanted to sell at our offer but everyone was still happy when we left as no ones time was wasted

not really, he has bid upon a description and it was not as described so he walked away.
only one wasted trip but it would have been that to view anyway.
only time wasted was the sellers and that was his own fault for not describing the car honestly

Last edited by tubbytommy; 15 April 2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 15 April 2013, 10:44 AM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Why would you bid on something without viewing in person first?? Everyone has different views on what they would interpret as good condition so you can't go on someone's views in a advert as they may not much you own views also if the advert doesn't state service history and the owner is shying away from giving you a answer then the chances are there isn't any service history! You should have viewed the car beforehand and made inspections etc to avoid disappointment, instead you wasted both yours and the sellers time but I will grant you that the advert should have been more informative especially about the rust and mechanical problems.
Old 15 April 2013, 11:31 AM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

There are some hidden gems on ebay due to the amount of cars being sold. But I looked at a few cars from the site as the advert and photos looked good, turned out to be right dogs. Without service history being descripted it's your fault on that, same with front brakes, says its only had rear done, he should have put about the rust and broken lights!!, The advert itself its really doesn't help the car. I wouldn't have even bid on a car with such little information written.
Old 15 April 2013, 11:54 AM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RType
Bid and won this on ebay last night so got a mate to drive me 90 miles to collect it today.

I had messaged the seller about it a couple of times regarding all the usual things you'd ask, like history, mods, remap etc but got no replies or got a message saying their inbox was full. I bid based on the description and it seemed quite honest and genuine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2810892752...d=468280206347

Got there and asked for the service history, it wasnt mentioned but I thought it might have some, but all I got was 5 reciepts

Went for a drive and it was gutless, hardly any boost at all. It pulled to the left and there was a knocking noise coming from the boot. He said "that spoiler is well heavy mate so the bootlid bangs"

On inspection round the car I found both foglights smashed, front disks and pads completely shot, aircon not working, rust on the bottom of doors, and the MOT had an advisory for 2 new tyres.

When I asked the seller to come down on the price I'd bid he refused and got arsey so I said "ok, I'll go and get the £ from the car" and drove off.

If you want a nail, this is the one for you.

The hunt for a decent Newage Impreza continues. Budget up to 4k, preferably with mods or something cheap that I can make my own over time. PM/post if you have anything for sale. Sorry, no classics, been there done that thanks.
Did you take the money with you?
Old 15 April 2013, 12:04 PM
Justme103
Scooby Regular

There are some good ones out there, I paid £1500 for my Bug,
Old 15 April 2013, 12:25 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Justme103
There are some good ones out there, I paid £1500 for my Bug,
Agree, I paid £2300 for my mint blobeye wagon a year ago.
Old 15 April 2013, 01:58 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
not really, he has bid upon a description and it was not as described so he walked away.
only one wasted trip but it would have been that to view anyway.
only time wasted was the sellers and that was his own fault for not describing the car honestly
Exactly,there is no way I would drive even 50 miles to see a car unless I was 100% sure about the condition of the car,the car was described wrong to the OP.How much did it cost you to do the 500 mile trip in petrol?.SJ.
Old 15 April 2013, 02:10 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

When you find another one you're interested in, perhaps you could ask if anyone on here already knows the car, or if there is anyone local who can pop round to look at it for you before you have a bid on it.

At least you did the right thing and walked away this time though.
Old 15 April 2013, 03:23 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by stonejedi
Exactly,there is no way I would drive even 50 miles to see a car unless I was 100% sure about the condition of the car,the car was described wrong to the OP.How much did it cost you to do the 500 mile trip in petrol?.SJ.
£100 but did it in my hawkeye to enjoy the drive aswell ,,,some nice roads up north IMO and I did enjoy it
Old 15 April 2013, 03:46 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by domino46
£100 but did it in my hawkeye to enjoy the drive aswell ,,,some nice roads up north IMO and I did enjoy it
Not to bad cost wise,at least you enjoyed the driveSJ.

Last edited by stonejedi; 15 April 2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 15 April 2013, 03:56 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

RType as said before try sourcing one off of here if you can find one,at least you know 9 times out of 10 it's being looked after and got some kind of service history.its funny it's like when I first brought my Renault 5 Gt turbo back in the days and about five years later I tried to get one for my wife it took about a year to source a good one as they where either rotten or the engine was on it's last legs over heating etc...their are a lot of subarus about but it's the good ones which are now getting very hard to find.SJ.