Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

2.5 Hawk, Are they worth getting?

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2013, 11:17 PM
BikerDarren24
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 Hawk, Are they worth getting?

Hi guys,

I posted the other day about getting either a low mileage 55 plate Hawk sti or higher mileage one.

Link to thread here:
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...late-hawk.html

Most said to stick to the 2.0 litres, get a Hawk that has been forged or go JDM.

My question:

Did Subaru ever rectify the issues with the early 55 and 06 hawk sti's engines later on the years? (56 - last 08's) or are the 2.5 engines in general much more fragile and go a lot quicker and easier regardless of miles?

Any help or suggestions are very much appreciated

Darren
Old 03 April 2013, 11:28 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the problems were rectified in the later hawkeyes. I had a friend that had a mapped 06 sti that went.

Ideally, get a 55 plate hawk that's had a rebuild (55 plate qualifies for lower tax!) or a hawk JDM.

I have a blob JDM that's 10 years old now. Only got 47k on it and I'm pretty safe in the knowledge (although never say never) that it won't go bang. I've not heard of any go bang to be honest. The only thing I'm not that keen on is the shorter ratio 5th and 6th gear. 3000 rpm at 70mph with a miltek can become slightly annoying lol!! That said, its not a major downer and I've got used to it. Luckily it's a weekend car and I'm rarely on the motorway! If you intend on doing a lot of motorway miles, I wouldn't get a JDM!

Last edited by Peedee; 03 April 2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03 April 2013, 11:30 PM
K3ogh_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what ive read they batted it off

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/leg...litre-engines/
Old 03 April 2013, 11:37 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peedee
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the problems were rectified in the later hawkeyes.

Ideally, get a 55 plate hawk that's had a rebuild (55 plate qualifies for lower tax!) or a hawk JDM.

I have a blob JDM that's 10 years old now. Only got 47k on it and I'm pretty safe in the knowledge (although never say never) that it won't go bang. I've not heard of any go bang to be honest. The only thing I'm not that keen on is the shorter ratio 5th and 6th gear. 3000 rpm at 70mph with a miltek can become slightly annoying lol!! That said, its not a major downer and I've got used to it. Luckily it's a weekend car and I'm rarely on the motorway! If you intend on doing a lot of motorway miles, I wouldn't get a JDM!
They uprated the head gaskets in the 2007 cars but a few still failed. I think they seem to be less prone to failing once repaired due to being hand torqued rather than robot torqued at the factory. Subaru revised the maps in the hatch cars and when i took my my07 in for the winter check i was told there was a modified map for mine. I told them to leave alone as mines ecutek. I think the revised map is a little kinder to the pistons but i wouldn't call it a fix. There is only one real fix and thats forged pistons, arp studs and cosworth gaskets..
Old 03 April 2013, 11:47 PM
toyney83
Scooby Regular

I replaced my damaged block in my 2005 sti with a 2006 sti bottom end. Been running around 380 bhp since and never had a problem. Uses very little oil and the block is complety standard. Only upgrade to the engine itself is head gaskets and arp head studs. Obviously others haven't been so lucky but speaking from experience I've never had a problem
Old 04 April 2013, 12:22 AM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

This is the bit people don't understand
My Hawk is a 2009 car for instance on a 58 plate
( But the car is still a MY06)
Old 04 April 2013, 01:36 AM
BikerDarren24
Scooby Regular

Thank you mate, That is the kind of answer i'm looking for. I only do about 4 miles on the motorway and all the rest are B roads, JDM sounds good but I really want a pronounced scooby burble from the engine (I believe the twin scrolls are more evo sounding)

Cheers man
Old 04 April 2013, 01:52 AM
BikerDarren24
Scooby Regular

Thanks this is very helpful mate, I could easily get a 56 to late 08 plate hawk sti but the £200 more a year on tax than compared to the 55's and early 06's is just unjustifiable.

I don't personally see what I would be gaining by spending £200 a year extra on the tax for a 06 onward that is virtually the same as 55 and early 06.

That is easily £600 I could be using on the car over a 3 year period for maintenance etc.

Unless there is significant changes and stuff done between the early hawks and the later models that I didn't know and would like to know more about. I am still very unsure.

Thanks for your replies guys, the info on here is second to none.

Old 04 April 2013, 07:47 AM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Revised head gaskets app on the yr change.
Old 04 April 2013, 05:14 PM
Mr Blobby
Scooby Regular

Have you got your heart set on a hawk eye or is a blob an option?
I have a blob sti and have not driven a hawk but I dont find it to be bad at all to drive normally regarding the more torque in the hawk and they are the same power?

Just for peace of mind it has the smaller engine and is basically the same car and they are cheaper... this could save you LOADS of money
Old 04 April 2013, 06:37 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

This thread could of been written for me The mrs wants me to get a hatch, i like the look of the hawkeye but she dosnt. My concern has been all this talk of engine failures, actualy reading that statement from Subaru kind of gives me some confidence as i dont intend to tune the car. A JDM is not a option as i dont want even more cabin noise, and a blobeye is a no as i owned one of those over 7 years ago
Old 04 April 2013, 07:16 PM
IggyRB320
Scooby Regular

I think the only way to be confident in the 2.5lt is to forge it!
I had pinned liners, valves, pistons, ARP studs etc, while it was apart as well..

Oh & this engine in my RB320 will be for sale in 3 weeks
https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...oon-17-5k.html

Old 04 April 2013, 08:26 PM
stugsey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by theboy
This thread could of been written for me The mrs wants me to get a hatch, i like the look of the hawkeye but she dosnt. My concern has been all this talk of engine failures, actualy reading that statement from Subaru kind of gives me some confidence as i dont intend to tune the car. A JDM is not a option as i dont want even more cabin noise, and a blobeye is a no as i owned one of those over 7 years ago

stay away from from the 2.5 then unless its been forged or just buy JDM much much better
Old 04 April 2013, 08:31 PM
stugsey
Scooby Regular

heres your choice bud in NO order

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...tchback/967925

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...i-2010/1210812

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...ly-19k/1081976

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...-360bhp/986427
Old 04 April 2013, 08:48 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stugsey
stay away from from the 2.5 then unless its been forged or just buy JDM much much better
Thought the JDM was a lot noiser inside? Does it tax & insure differently?
Old 04 April 2013, 09:04 PM
stugsey
Scooby Regular

It's a hard comparison. Comparing the newest version of each engine in stock form, they make about the same hp, but the 2.0l makes a little more torque (you read that right). They even make peak hp and peak tq at about the same points in the rpm range. The thing is they get better fuel in Japan so the 2.0l ej207 probably won't put down the same numbers in stock form with 91/93 octane fuel.

Assuming the ej207 has big port heads and the subaru twin scroll turbo setup, it should be a good match to the ej257 at stage 2 power levels, probably a little better. Here's what basically happens with both engines at stage 2 power levels.

ej257:
Peak tq. and peak hp. will get moved to the left in the rpm range compared to stock. You'll get a good bump in hp, but a larger bump in tq.

ej207:
Peak tq. will get moved to the left and peak hp. will get moved to right in the rpm range compared to stock. You'll get a good bump in tq., but a larger bump in hp.

Edit: v.8 and up jdm standard sti's all had big port heads and a ts turbo, but no forged piston. v.7 and some of the prior models had forged pistons, but they didn't all have ts scroll turbo or big port heads, that was reserved for the spec c. Those features might have been available as options on the standard v.7 sti.
Old 04 April 2013, 11:50 PM
BikerDarren24
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate, I do prefer the look of the hawks but the blobs seem more reliable and refined from what I hear.

Cheers man
Old 05 April 2013, 12:01 AM
BikerDarren24
Scooby Regular

Thank you all for you help and opinions, judging by what has been said these are the answers and conclusions I have got to,

*regardless of year of a hawkeye the 2.5 engine is less reliable and more likely to go compared to the blobs.

*look for a forged hawk or JDM (JDM sounds more like an evo and I want a trademark scooby burble but hey! its reliable)

*finally, just get a blob and call it a day

I will be taking all of this knowledge and experience from you all and I am more aware and knowledgeable now than I was 2 days ago thanks, I feel more confident in knowing what to look for and what to expect from my desired scoobs now.

Cheers!!!
Old 05 April 2013, 12:32 AM
toyney83
Scooby Regular

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...spec-c/1199842
Have a look at that
Old 05 April 2013, 12:51 AM
BikerDarren24
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by toyney83
Thanks man,

my budget £13k max.

Great looking car, red doesn't do it for me though, has to be wr blue
Old 05 April 2013, 01:46 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by K3ogh_sti
From what ive read they batted it off

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/leg...litre-engines/
Can someone explain to me something I have obviously missed?

"The Subaru team of Engineers, who we believe to be the most capable and knowledgeable in the business have designed the 2.5 litre unit with lighter weight and lower friction materials, giving higher power without sacrificing current emission and CO2 outputs."

Subaru UK talk about the hours, money, time and expertise that went into designing the 2.5 for the benefit of higher power without sacrificing CO2 outputs so why then if they are the best in the business did they ignore the 2.0 twin scroll they already had and end up building an engine that had lower powerful, less fuel efficiency, less reliability and with a higher CO2 output that went into the next tax bracket up and just so happened to be double in ££?

Had they just put the S GT engine in we would all have been happier, I would be driving around in one now instead of switching marques and Subaru wouldnt have tarnished their reputation.
Old 05 April 2013, 02:44 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by toyney83
That is one of the best looking cars I've seen for ages.
Used to have a Blob in the same colour.