Sponsored by:

Hawkeye flywheel issues

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2013, 10:49 PM
hibbs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawkeye flywheel issues

So iv finally finished the engine build on my gb270, finished running her in and off to Graham @ groupbmotorsport for setup and remap.
First run and there's a fault with the front lambda sensor!!! B*****s!! Unfortunately the boys couldn't get hold of one so off back to work so solve this hiccup.
Return the day after with all items crossed
Got the car on the rollers again and off we go.
Base map installed and first power run @ 363bhp and 375 torques (not bad for first run).
Second run coming onto boost and BOOM what's only described to be clutch slip!!! This baffling my head as iv fitted a brand new toda flywheel and exedy 3 puk paddle clutch?????? Hmmmm anyone else experienced this?? Iv replaced the gearbox and rear diff thinking it was a diff fault but the faults still there

Cheers Rob
Old 23 March 2013, 01:06 AM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

So are you saying your clutch is slipping or it failed ?
Old 23 March 2013, 09:56 AM
hibbs
Scooby Regular

This is what I'm unsure of?? Iv heard about flywheel issues on the hawk when fitting uprared units and was just wondering if others have come across this before.
Old 23 March 2013, 10:26 AM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Only heard of problems with the WRX having fitment problems not using recess flywheel fitment . I use a API on my STI & have no problems
Can't comment on the TODA because iv never used ,
Old 23 March 2013, 10:35 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by hibbs
So iv finally finished the engine build on my gb270, finished running her in and off to Graham @ groupbmotorsport for setup and remap.
First run and there's a fault with the front lambda sensor!!! B*****s!! Unfortunately the boys couldn't get hold of one so off back to work so solve this hiccup.
Return the day after with all items crossed
Got the car on the rollers again and off we go.
Base map installed and first power run @ 363bhp and 375 torques (not bad for first run).
Second run coming onto boost and BOOM what's only described to be clutch slip!!! This baffling my head as iv fitted a brand new toda flywheel and exedy 3 puk paddle clutch?????? Hmmmm anyone else experienced this?? Iv replaced the gearbox and rear diff thinking it was a diff fault but the faults still there

Cheers Rob
Hi Rob
I'm guessing you're on a "push" clutch with this one?
Personally I avoid paddle clutches like the plague, it isn't that they don't work, but they're just plain nasty on the road.
A faulty clutch may not be biting the whole circumference, possibly due to interference issues in the cover. If you strip it, and you'll have to, you may see witness marks on the driven surfaces.
We recently built a GB270 with a CC clutch and flywheel combo that uses a 240 mm clutch designed to go with the 5 speed box. It's light and smooth and handles 450 bhp no bother.
Old 23 March 2013, 10:47 AM
hibbs
Scooby Regular

Yes it's a push style clutch Alan going to strip it back down today and inspect the clutch unit see if anythings noticeable. Fingers crossed hey.............

Thanks for the input guys
Old 23 March 2013, 08:22 PM
hibbs
Scooby Regular

Allllll done well chuffed to finally get to the bottom of it. Replaced toda flywheel to standard and all is good.
Old 10 December 2015, 03:43 PM
mihael
Scooby Regular

Hey Hibbs,

I saw your post how a Toda flywheel failed you and you replaced it back to stock and then I found while searching for Toda flywheels that in 2014 you bought another one. Please let me know what you think about this Toda flywheel as I am interested to fit one in my 07 FXT 5MT push-type set up.

Thank you very much for your time!

Mihael