Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a Subaru and need advice....

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2013, 09:18 PM
NewtoSubaru
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a Subaru and need advice....

Hi there,

First post to excuse any breaches of ettiquette...

To give some background -

I drive around 20-25k per annum. I currently have a Merc CLK 270CDi which I like (except it's diesel) and this car is used most of the time for road use.

I also have a ML which I use for towing - and where a big boot etc is useful.

That's the theory. In practice this last year I have had to take the ML far more than the CLK because of snow / flooding (we live on the Somerset levels which flood a bit) plus for work I attend trade shows which are in fields. These were quagmires so the ML was essential.

But a 3 tonne 5.0V8 ML is not a good car to drive 25k miles per annum in.....

I am looking to sell the CLK - I should get around £6k for it - and replace it with a Subaru estate which will do most of what the ML does, but cheaper and a nicer drive on the road.

Here is the question - What one...?

I have looked at a Legacy and a Forrester. The Legacy seems a better bet to me as it seems more comfy and probably a better bet for a big mileage.

So what engine should I get? I want an auto and I don't want diesel. I was also considering an Outback but haven't been able to see one yet. I want to keep it pre-march 2006 to keep the road tax down.

So - given that, and I want a nice spec and decent performance, I was looking at the 2.5 or the 3.0 engines.

Obviously I would welcome any other suggestions as well but interested to see what the views are.

Aside:- I have also seen on here messages about 2.5's "blowing up" !!!! Are Subaru's reliable or should I expect trouble with them - I would be very unlikely to modify it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05 March 2013, 11:04 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I would have thought a legacy estate would fit the bill, think they do them in a boxer diesel as well which could be better with your mileage.
Old 05 March 2013, 11:12 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by daz1968
I would have thought a legacy estate would fit the bill, think they do them in a boxer diesel as well which could be better with your mileage.
I have heard of a couple of nasty engine failures on the early boxer diesels this has made me avoid entertaining the idea of getting one.

If you have a £6k budget you could get yourself (probably with change to spare) a very nice Legacy Spec B with a 3.0 engine though you may have to wait for a pre March '06 one to come up.

You could also consider the rapid Forester XT or for a bit more a Forester STi - they're very quick.

If you really want to stretch and it has to be an estate, try searching for a Legacy STi on Pistonheads, there's one going and that's a really bonkers motor.
Old 05 March 2013, 11:30 PM
NewtoSubaru
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies.

It HAS to be automatic (think that rules out most sti's)

I also hate diesel - I intend to LPG the car (seen lots of Subaru's with LPG so I know it works OK)

I was thinking 3.0 BSpec also.

Are the Outbacks just soggy Legacy estates or are they still nice to drive?

Thanks
Old 05 March 2013, 11:58 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NewtoSubaru
Thanks for the replies.

It HAS to be automatic (think that rules out most sti's)

I also hate diesel - I intend to LPG the car (seen lots of Subaru's with LPG so I know it works OK)

I was thinking 3.0 BSpec also.

Are the Outbacks just soggy Legacy estates or are they still nice to drive?

Thanks
The Leggy STi has a sequential box - it's a beast of a motor. I'm surprised they haven't put it in some of the Imprezas.

The 3.0 Spec B does come as an auto, it's not quite as quick you're looking at a 0-60 time around 8 seconds whereas the manual will do it in 6.5ish. Don't expect more than 28-30mpg.

The outback is a bit soggier but unless you plan on giving it a blast down some back roads you're not going to notice too much.