Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SPEED LIMIT NEAR MY HOUSE HAS BEEN LOWERED.

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2001, 04:30 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

and I'm not bloody happy about it. There is a wikked 60mph B road near me but I drive down it this morning and it has been lowered to 40!!! the 30mph limit has been moved 100m forward as well. Does anybody know of any procedures I can take to question this? Do I contact the council, if so, what do I say? Is there any way I can question the legality of such a move?
Please help, It WAS a fantastic road!
astraboy
Old 21 April 2001, 04:57 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Are you sure yor neighbours didn`t get up a petition to stop you belting up and down making too much noise?

JohnD
Old 21 April 2001, 05:09 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

there aint no houses near it!
Only thing nearby is an industrial estate.
it pi$$es me off that the treehuggers have unilateraly decided to lower it and to hell with who it annoys. I.E. ME and at least 5 of my neighbours who own decent cars.
astraboy.
Old 21 April 2001, 05:32 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Hi- Me again
Has it got any history of accidents? There is a move to give rural minor roads lower speed limits generally. Also is it trapped between roads which already have limits? Such a road exists near me, a dual carriageway with absolutely nothing either side has been reduced to 50mph simply because it is between existing limited sections. It was obviously done to maintain continuity?
Old 21 April 2001, 05:52 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by JohnD:
<B>Also is it trapped between roads which already have limits? Such a road exists near me, a dual carriageway with absolutely nothing either side has been reduced to 50mph simply because it is between existing limited sections. It was obviously done to maintain continuity?[/quote]

The worst example of this that I know of is a road called Martins way in Stevenage. This was a 4 mile section of dual carriageway, with armco barriers, walkways and raised banking(I.e just like a motorway). This used to be a 70Mph limit, and a few years back it was lowered to a 40

The official reason was because it was between two 40 limits, and it was causing confusion.

I'm sorry, but if you can't tell the difference between a 40 limit and a 70 limit you really ought not to be driving. Anyway it's now the #1 place for laser gun toting police.
Old 21 April 2001, 09:49 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Neil,
I know what you mean about St Martins Way. At least they have the decency not to set up speed traps there unlike most of the other sections of 40 limit dual carriageways about town. I heard they reduced the limit after a child was killed there.
Old 21 April 2001, 10:02 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

It's not just up here then! I have counted 6 sections of road that have had limits reduced in the last year. I wouldn't mind if they were accident blackspots but their not and of course they too are the new favourite hiding places for coppers. It's almost as if the've done it on purpose. I work in Bradford and nearby to the office are two roads running pretty much parallel with each other. One is wide, straight with no housing and is a 30, while the other is very built up (lots of terrace houses, shops and side streets and two sets of traffic lights) the speed limit here is 40 Who actually decides these limits & have they ever actually driven on these roads they're messing with?

Moan over now, roll on SIDC trackday @ Croft
Ha Ha, up yours copper only joking, I actually got a wave out of one today. He was doing speed checks near Harrogate in marked Scoob so I waved to see what his reaction would be, he's the only one to wave/flash back all day and I must have seen about 10 scoobs
Old 21 April 2001, 10:08 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Angry

I had'nt heard that. Not being callous or cold hearted at all, but what was a kid doing wandering onto a motorway standard Dual carriageway when there are footbridges over the road?

Pedestrians have as much responsibility on crossing the road, as drivers do driving on it. Even at 40Mph an impact with a child is almost certainly fatal, so why not reduce it to 30 and be done with it.

Anyway i've seen the police under the bridge near the big roundabout at the end of the road the few times i've driven down there. I mate told me Herts was having a speeding crackdown for a week or so, so watch out.

The other mad road is the dual carriageway off the welwyn junction of the A1. That has no armco,footbridges, and raised banking. The only junction is right out(with no sliproad) of a school . Why not reduce that one to 40, as it's far more unsafe than the Martins way road. Maybe it needs a kid to be killed there too

I strongly suspect the lowering of Martins way to 40 was more to do with revenue and crime figures than safety. As is so many of the reduced limits these days.

Old 21 April 2001, 11:11 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Oops I've not spotted the police down there yet - I'd better be careful. I don't go down there much at peak times though. Since there is no reason whatsoever for anyone to be down near the road I sometime boot it. I also heard about a crack down week in Hitchin/Stevenage.

Perhaps another reason for some of these peculiar speed limits is to control flow if they carry lots of traffic near industrial estates etc and to stop the build up of traffic at the enevitable roundabout or junction at the end of the road.

Oh and Neil, those traffic calming things by the Poplars Sainsbuy's - what the f@@k are they about? Series of one way chicanes on a bend with a busy supermarket entrance in the middle. OK there is an old folks home but if you want to get down the road in one piece pedestrians aren't the first thing you are looking out for.
Old 21 April 2001, 11:59 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

astraboy,

are you telling me that you didn't see those small notices pinned to lamp-posts to inform drivers of the intention to reduce the limit? Surely you always stop on every road (and every lamp-post) to check whether any speed limit reductions are proposed!

But seriously, check out the ADB web-site - especially
Old 22 April 2001, 11:51 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Boomer! I am printing it off right now and intend to voice my dissaproval. The good news is I walk to work and I havent seen any signs on my route. However the road does have a blackspot but that is covered by the 30mph limit being moved forward (which I don't mind too much, its only 100 metres) I only hope the treehuggers will listen to me. If not then its going to be burnouts and donuts in the civic offices car park to make them listen
regards,
astraboy.
Old 22 April 2001, 12:02 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

Edited to remove duplicate reply!

[This message has been edited by boomer (edited 22 April 2001).]
Old 22 April 2001, 09:36 PM
fast_wrx
Scooby Regular

You should live in Norwich! Not content with putting stupid speed limits and traffic calming devices all over, they are closing roads like there is no tomorrow! They hate cars, and they don't even try to deny it.
At least they have a nice big car park at county hall at the edge of the city, so they don't have to become involved in the mess they have created!
Old 23 April 2001, 10:43 AM
Aero
Scooby Regular

Astraboy,

Somehow that doesn't surprise me.

When are the sleeping policemen going in?
Old 24 April 2001, 07:24 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Cool

astraboy,

please think seriously about joining the ABD (see their homepage for membership details). Recently they have had a huge surge in members from people who are getting a little pssied off about the way that motorists are getting treated (by tree-huggers, local authorities, the government etc.).

A few quid a year well spent

mb