Stuck between pillar and post.

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2013, 04:27 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck between pillar and post.

Ok so im in a predicement.

My gearbox blew (again) just before christmas. Now it being christmas i wasnt in the mood to find another box buy it and fit it. So i bought another car.

yes another scooby very clean motor no rust straight no dings no noises but it has a noisy gearbox, i know the history of this car also as it was my mates and we basiclly rebuilt the whole car in the time he owned it. so i got it off him for a steal as he wants a 240sx or something,

Ok so now i have 2 scoobys one with a noisy gearbox and the other with a gearbox that doesnt have 2nd 5th or rev. My original with the fooked gb is silver my new one is red.

Now here is where it gets tricky .... The silver scoob has the better engine its a cdb and could potentially be something big power.
But it has some rust especially on the rear passenger inside boot pillar part and some on the sills. the paint work aint great either.
but the rust could potentially mean it will fail mot soon or fall apart. Now i can do mechanics but when it comes to body work welding and that sorta stuff i have no clue.

Now i also have 3 dead gearboxes spare sitting in my garage, all with different various faults.

Now in the silver scoob there is a dead gearbox but the 5th on it is really tall i mean i could cruise at 80 at only 3000 rpm
the red scoob sits at 70 at 3200 rpm .

Now someone has just offered me another box for a few quid ,
So i could just stick that in the silver scoob and away it goes.

Now heres my options

1. Stick the box in the silver car - sell it for whatever i can get (t&t'd still)
and just begin again with the red car.

2. Stick the new gearbox in the red car to stop the annoying noise and then sell it.
use the noisy gearbox in the silver car use the money from selling the other car to get one decent gearbox built using the taller 5th and put that in silver car once built.

3. Stick the new gearbox in the silver car and then get a box built using my spare boxes and the taller 5th gear and then put that into the red scoob and then think about turning the silver scoob into a track car?

4.change the engine in the red car to the cdb and put the new gearbox in and then break the silver car

See i really dont know what to do and im torn between all decisions.

all advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 19 February 2013, 04:29 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

Oh and when i say 5th and rev gone on the box its only the synchro not the actual gear itself.

whereas 2nd is totally stripped like i can put the car in 2nd take foot completely off the clutch and nothing not even any strange noises!!!!
Old 19 February 2013, 04:30 PM
wiggy1
Scooby Regular

no.4
Old 19 February 2013, 04:36 PM
STEVEBOXER
Scooby Regular

Hmmm sell both and buy a decent one, sorry to be harsh mate.