Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawkeye STi Spec D - why so cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2013, 09:58 PM
ATWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawkeye STi Spec D - why so cheap?

Alreet, why are the Hawkeye Spec D so cheap? Seen a couple with less than 70k miles on for less than £7500. Why? Is it because they don't look like your typical STi? I like them because of that reason.

So what's the reasoning behind them being a lot less than the standard STi's?
Old 16 February 2013, 10:01 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

that does sound pretty cheap, markets not great for scoobs though
Old 16 February 2013, 10:06 PM
Woody69
Scooby Regular

I looked at them before choosing my 05 Blob, I think the 2.5 is a bit unreliable and with them being in the high tax bracket makes them undesirable
Old 16 February 2013, 10:24 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This ^^
Old 16 February 2013, 10:25 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

People probably get fed up of explaining that theyre as fast as one with a big spoiler
Old 16 February 2013, 10:40 PM
Woody69
Scooby Regular

Name:  burntscooby_zps3d46f313.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  104.1 KB

I knew they were unreliable but dam

IMO the newer shape scoobys have lost their character, I have seen sti 09 reg cars go for 8.9k....call me old fashioned!! The GB270 is growing on me though, I cant make my mind up
Old 16 February 2013, 10:48 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Woody69
I looked at them before choosing my 05 Blob, I think the 2.5 is a bit unreliable and with them being in the high tax bracket makes them undesirable
The majority, but not all, are higher tax bracket
Old 16 February 2013, 10:59 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a police car, that's more the reason to be on fire than the list of faults haha

I've just bought a spec d. And must admit its the best impreza I've had IMO. Love it. Great spec without the premium.
Old 16 February 2013, 11:02 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

That's a chilling picture.
Old 16 February 2013, 11:12 PM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

2.5 have there faults no doubt, factor in a forged engine and they are gone and you have the safety , torque and in my eyes the best front end.
JDM version is pretty sweet though
Old 16 February 2013, 11:32 PM
Woody69
Scooby Regular

I guess they are like Marmite? you either love em' or hate em....
Old 16 February 2013, 11:54 PM
ATWRX
Scooby Regular

How unreliable is the 2.5 engine? I'd expect any engine to blow its internals if its power was increased from 280 - 380 bhp without strengthening the standard parts. So what is it that's so unreliable? Or why do they become unreliable?

Is it best to go for a 2.0
Old 16 February 2013, 11:57 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Headgasket is main problem, so check service history if its been done its a good sign
Old 17 February 2013, 12:01 AM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

Headgasket and piston ringland failure can become a problem, never effected me but i forged my engine and run 370 now with no problems, its also future proofed to around 550hp once i get around to it.
Prob going to be a while though but everyone needs a goal!

My experience was always good with my car, but you do hear about some failures
Old 17 February 2013, 12:13 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ATWRX
How unreliable is the 2.5 engine? I'd expect any engine to blow its internals if its power was increased from 280 - 380 bhp without strengthening the standard parts. So what is it that's so unreliable? Or why do they become unreliable?

Is it best to go for a 2.0
The spec D being an 2006 2.5 is prone to head gasket leakage on boost. The gasket was revised in 2007 onwards. The 2.5 when tuned is prone to piston ringland fracture. This is more common on 2008 onward cars but not un-heard of in earlier cars. A subaru map revision did go some way to making it less common. Many people have achieved high mileage with no issues but many like myself did fall victim. Although i my case my car was running 360bhp.
The permanent fix on these engines is to have Forged pistons and replace the head bolts with quality studs. Once this is done its a strong engine and tunable although i would not want to tune to 500 bhp and beyond.
Its fair to say the 2L is more tuner friendly but many are high mileage now so could have their own mechanical needs in the near future.
The main difference in the two is driverbility. The 2.5 has loads of torque low down where as the 2L is more revvy. I personally prefer the 2.5 as a road car but it's each to their own.
Old 17 February 2013, 12:14 AM
ATWRX
Scooby Regular

"Some" failures I've heard of, but what sort of %age we looking at? 50%? 1%? And what causes it? Is it boosting the power? Or does it just happen and is more pot-luck? I heard the cosworth gasket is the one to go for?

Originally Posted by chopperman
The spec D being an 2006 2.5 is prone to head gasket leakage on boost. The gasket was revised in 2007 onwards. The 2.5 when tuned is prone to piston ringland fracture. This is more common on 2008 onward cars but not un-heard of in earlier cars. A subaru map revision did go some way to making it less common. Many people have achieved high mileage with no issues but many like myself did fall victim. Although i my case my car was running 360bhp.
The permanent fix on these engines is to have Forged pistons and replace the head bolts with quality studs. Once this is done its a strong engine and tunable although i would not want to tune to 500 bhp and beyond.
Its fair to say the 2L is more tuner friendly but many are high mileage now so could have their own mechanical needs in the near future.
The main difference in the two is driverbility. The 2.5 has loads of torque low down where as the 2L is more revvy. I personally prefer the 2.5 as a road car but it's each to their own.

I'd only be looking to go to 310-320 bhp if I were to get one, so hardly pushing it. What costs are involved in forging the engine and upgrading the studs/gaskets?

Last edited by ATWRX; 17 February 2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 17 February 2013, 12:18 AM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

i should add in if you forge, pin the block as well and yes i went the for the cosworth gasket

Last edited by Pramas; 17 February 2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 17 February 2013, 12:19 AM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Woody69

I knew they were unreliable but dam

IMO the newer shape scoobys have lost their character, I have seen sti 09 reg cars go for 8.9k....call me old fashioned!! The GB270 is growing on me though, I cant make my mind up
Love seeing police in impreza's they dont give you the wave back i found out though
Old 17 February 2013, 12:26 AM
craigo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan-
Love seeing police in impreza's they dont give you the wave back i found out though
3 points came your way ?
Old 17 February 2013, 12:29 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

"Some" failures I've heard of, but what sort of %age we looking at? 50%? 1%? And what causes it? Is it boosting the power? Or does it just happen and is more pot-luck? I heard the cosworth gasket is the one to go for?
If you listen to the haters here you will be led to believe 99% failed Truth is nobody really knows. I believe Subaru said it was 7% but then again i would not expect them to be honest about it and they would not know of cars repaired out of warranty. I have Cosworth gaskets but i believe the revised genuine subaru are also first class.
A standard 2.5 engine is about 10% below its design brief. Tune beyond that on standard internals is asking for trouble. Subaru are not alone in building to a price. As ive said before, over engineering is a thing of the past unless you pay to have it done yourself. Sign of the times mate.
Old 17 February 2013, 12:30 AM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by craigo
3 points came your way ?
3 points!! really is that what they can give you!! he didnt bother to do anything

thats shocking if its 3point for waving!
Old 17 February 2013, 12:32 AM
craigo
Scooby Regular

If you listen to the haters here you will be led to believe 99% failed Truth is nobody really knows. I believe Subaru said it was 7% but then again i would not expect them to be honest about it and they would not know of cars repaired out of warranty. I have Cosworth gaskets but i believe the revised genuine subaru are also first class.
A standard 2.5 engine is about 10% below its design brief. Tune beyond that on standard internals is asking for trouble. Subaru are not alone in building to a price. As ive said before, over engineering is a thing of the past unless you pay to have it done yourself. Sign of the times mate.
Good post
Old 17 February 2013, 12:49 AM
ATWRX
Scooby Regular

So you're probably looking at between 10 & 20 percent failures? Still quite high but how much of that is because of modding without supporting?
When you mention 10% below design brief, are you meaning the STi or standard car? Because you're either looking at 255 or 310 bhp, I'd imagine the STi as Subaru knew they'd be making the STi. There fore buying a spec D Decatting it and remapping it should be fine. I'd take the chance.

I do like torquey engines, that's why I'm interested (plus the hawk does look better)

As i type, my lass is trying to talk me toward a Focus ST FFS nee idea

Last edited by ATWRX; 17 February 2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 17 February 2013, 12:53 AM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

focus st vs sti is a non contest, the st is front wheel drive, only car id consider is a 69 dodge charger even though that isnt awd either lol, 1 for the future me thinks

Last edited by Pramas; 17 February 2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old 17 February 2013, 01:06 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

So you're probably looking at between 10 & 20 percent failures? Still quite high but how much of that is because of modding without supporting?
When you mention 10% below design brief, are you meaning the STi or standard car? Because you're either looking at 255 or 310 bhp, I'd imagine the STi as Subaru knew they'd be making the STi. There fore buying a spec D Decatting it and remapping it should be fine. I'd take the chance.

I do like torquey engines, that's why I'm interested (plus the hawk does look better)

As i type, my lass is trying to talk me toward a Focus ST FFS nee idea
The 10% below design brief was info given to a lad in the RB320 owners club by the designer / tuner at Prodrive regarding the RB320 with was 316 bhp standard.
I'm sure many failures could be attributed to modifications, usage of low octane fuel or just plain abuse, but not all. This is why its very difficult to put an actual percentage on standard cars where the owners looked after their cars and used the correct petrol. To be honest i personally think subaru should have built them stronger especially considering the retail price of the cars.
As i said its a sign of the times. Damn i bought a Sony LCD TV and a brand new fridge freezer. Both items have packed up twice in 2 years. Now we find out we have been eating horse instead of beef. And i bet you it was the horses ear holes, eye holes and **** holes rather than the nice bits
Nothing is built to last these days and we are being ripped off. The best bet is try and buy one at a good price with the view to getting the known issues sorted. Then you have a fantastic car.
Old 17 February 2013, 01:12 AM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

The 10% below design brief was info given to a lad in the RB320 owners club by the designer / tuner at Prodrive regarding the RB320 with was 316 bhp standard.
I'm sure many failures could be attributed to modifications, usage of low octane fuel or just plain abuse, but not all. This is why its very difficult to put an actual percentage on standard cars where the owners looked after their cars and used the correct petrol. To be honest i personally think subaru should have built them stronger especially considering the retail price of the cars.
As i said its a sign of the times. Damn i bought a Sony LCD TV and a brand new fridge freezer. Both items have packed up twice in 2 years. Now we find out we have been eating horse instead of beef. And i bet you it was the horses ear holes, eye holes and **** holes rather than the nice bits
Nothing is built to last these days and we are being ripped off. The best bet is try and buy one at a good price with the view to getting the known issues sorted. Then you have a fantastic car.
the torque brings me back personally everytime, so easy drive, its not for every1, the 2.0 is more brutal it seems, but for a daily car you cant go wrong if you adress the shortfallings
Old 17 February 2013, 01:19 AM
DeweyAXD
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of good points made here.

2.5 might be a bit marmite especially if you have owned classic's and STi blobs but it is just as capable as a 2.0 (UK spec) and more refined inside (not by much over the blob/bug to be fair).

Spec-D's do seem to hold lower values in the trade but then if you asked most non-owner's what their perception of a Subaru Impreza is you'd likely get more that say 'loud and lairy' compared to 'subtle and constrained'. For that reason alone I think a Sti UK spec with the big spoiler, roof vain etc will be deemed more desirable in the Trade's eyes. A reason that IMO makes the Spec-D such a great buy if you find a good one.

I love this forum and there are many valued views across it but my advice is this... phone a reputable Subaru engine builder/rebuilder (not a dealer!!) and ask for their views on the 2.5's failure rates/reasons. Its still not going to be a perfect example but at least it is from people that see such things on a daily basis.

I've had the pain of a Spec-D HG failure but i'd still HIGHLY recommend the Spec-D as a great buy. Just do your homework, look for the signs and know that any second hand Scoob can go wrong. No matter how hard you try, you can never know its true past as fuelling, driving style and mods that were added/removed don't tend to be stamped in the history book!

P.S FWD St's... look great, go well but are no match for a Scoob AND values drop like a fat lass on a fast treadmill!
Old 17 February 2013, 01:27 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pramas
the torque brings me back personally everytime, so easy drive, its not for every1, the 2.0 is more brutal it seems, but for a daily car you cant go wrong if you adress the shortfallings
Best to get them forged before they go bang too. Just limits the risk of damaging a liner which could result in a new block being needed.

It's fair to also say that you only ever really hear of the cars that failed on internet forums because the owners are upset or need advice. Owners dont tend to complain if nothing is wrong. I have read of a few cars that are around the 100k with no issue. I'm sure there are many out there that are fine. I have also seen loads of threads where 2L cars have knocked out or spun main bearings. Then again i have read of many achieving high problem free mileage and tuned to high bhp. You educate yourself with forums like this but you have to put it in perspective.
Old 17 February 2013, 01:34 AM
craigo
Scooby Regular

Any idea what is the cut is, folkes just purely looking for solutions to their problems on the net ?
Old 17 February 2013, 01:36 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by craigo
Any idea what is the cut is, folkes just purely looking for solutions to their problems on the net ?
Sorry mate, not sure what your asking?

Quick Reply: Hawkeye STi Spec D - why so cheap?