Sponsored by:

No more WRX STI

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2013, 01:28 AM
fuchaimps
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No more WRX STI

Somewho this news completely missed me untill top gear tonight, I was somewhat shocked at first and then kinda figured subaru have been trying to kill of the wrx sti in the uk

First they stopped selling the more economical wrx, then the sti they released was without the flashy bits or in blue at a really high price, combine that with an odd marketing stagy of hardly mentioning the wrx sti in 2012 i guess this was inevitable

truth is i didnt buy a new sti, but then my wrx from 2004 is still going strong, I thought that was the point of subaru, and why would the new impreza be so bad in the uk when its selling like hot cakes in the US for being so economical, the us, canada and australia have had increased sales figures, i don't think the car was the problem i think it was subaru uk

i'm just ranting, it was an amazing car and I do thank Subaru for that, maybe i can cling to the hope that in a couple of years they will see the light and import the new wrx sti, and the new wrx for that matter, or maybe this is the end of subaru here, just i will miss waving at other wrx's
Old 11 February 2013, 07:36 AM
welshy23
Scooby Newbie

Americans and Aussies have massive 3-4-5l v8's that do like 12mpg so oviously when subaru come along with a 300bhp 20mpg(mix of fast and slow driving) rally inspired road cars they get hard. Where as the soft uk has Peugeot and Toyota making Eco cars doing 70+ mpg... No wonder no body buys the STI!

When I bought my STI I traded it for my Clio 200 which I used to think was bad on fuel!!! I wondered why the dealer gave me 2k over the asking price on it... It's because only and idiot like me would buy a 20mpg - V power guzzling STI and love it. They can sell a Clio 20x better than a subaru.. I'm not saying it's good they've pulled out tbh but it's no suprise! Not good for the pocket!!!
Old 11 February 2013, 12:23 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Also aside from mpg etc the exchange rate has not helped at all, the Yen is really strong so Subaru UK (IM) had to put the price up over time which meant it was getting closer to its German rivals in terms of cost, but not quality, this has seen many Subaru buyers move away from the mark unfortunately to 130M, RS3's etc.

This comes froms a MY11 saloon owner though who still thinks they are a good value!

Last edited by Abx; 11 February 2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11 February 2013, 03:21 PM
K3ogh_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and its about $1.30 for a gallon of fuel in the states :/
Old 11 February 2013, 04:56 PM
DeweyAXD
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I was a bit shocked but then when you think about it a little its not all bad news. For existing owners it means used prices on good condition, low mileage UK cars should stay strong and anything in the future that ends up on UK shores will be JDM spec without choclate internals!
Long live the Impreza wave!
Old 11 February 2013, 05:23 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

For around the price of a new STi you can have one of these.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/s3...di-s3-revealed

Better screwed together, better residuals and up to 40mpg.

I'd still rather have the STi though.
Old 11 February 2013, 05:37 PM
chris_wrx
Scooby Regular

its not the death of the sti they just have enough in the uk to last the year and in 2014 there will be a new model as it was told to me
Old 11 February 2013, 05:58 PM
ski
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That S3 is one ugly looking car !!! Very bland and looks like it came out some jelly mould !!

A friend I know had an S3 who said it was the most unreliable car he ever owned, 4 wheel drive system broke down, ECU malfunctioned and the list went on.
I think by the time it gets to the UK it will more likely be like 35k
Old 11 February 2013, 08:39 PM
DeweyAXD
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Norman Dog
For around the price of a new STi you can have one of these.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/s3...di-s3-revealed

Better screwed together, better residuals and up to 40mpg.

I'd still rather have the STi though.
Ewww Haldex AWD?.... never be as raw as a Scoob's real AWD if it is like the Mazda 6 MPS'. Glad you'd stick with the Sti

.... yes this is where i find my facts are all wrong & get shot down