Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Farewell UGLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2002, 12:13 AM
brendy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just read on autoexpress website that the bug-eye is no more. New revised model to be launched in September and available in January '03.
Remember all those jokes about the value of the unloved bugeyes well thank god I have a classic.
Old 16 May 2002, 12:36 AM
ScottishMenace
Scooby Regular

Yep well done Brendy now your classic is REALLY gonna be old looking hehehe
Gotta say I love my FUGLY especially as it has an STI badge on it.
Old 16 May 2002, 01:05 AM
Scooby_Manchester
Scooby Regular

old looking.........nah........my MY00 classic will always look beautiful.......every time I look at it, I pat myself on the back for not waiting for the new model.

New one has grown on me and I love the Sti........but I hope the upcoming model will be a lot lot lot better
Old 16 May 2002, 01:33 PM
Tony_W
Scooby Regular

Wink

How to change an ugly forever....invest in the Morette headlight conversion (£500 approx fitted and sprayed). My MY02 now looks awesome, and NOT like a Chrysler Neon !!

oops...missed the NOT out at first...phew..!

[Edited by Tony_W - 5/16/2002 1:34:57 PM]
Old 16 May 2002, 01:41 PM
Jon1T
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Brendy - just spoke to my mate at the Ford - he says that most of what's in this week's AutoExpress is a 'load of sh*t and shouldn't be believed', and he is not aware of any revamp plans (most manufacturers make it their busines to get advance new on revamps/new models for obvious reasons).....

.....and as a FUGLY owner I hope he's right!
Old 16 May 2002, 08:10 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

I hated the "fugly" at launch. Then a year later I thought, well it is different. 6 months later I really liked it. And now I own one without light conversion. I actually like the lights and so do a lot of people. If you are basing your opinions on photos of the car you've seen then I suggest you look at them close up in the flesh. Even if they do revamp for MY03, there will be an army rubbishing it in the same way as MY01. All I say is get out of the rut and move with the times.
Old 16 May 2002, 08:37 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Even if they do revamp for MY03, there will be an army rubbishing it in the same way as MY01. All I say is get out of the rut and move with the times.
I disagree -- there are some cars that instantly strike me as nice-looking, and that's what manufacturers like Subaru should be aiming at, not "well I'm sure it will grow on you".

Some shapes that spring to mind are Alfa 147, Ferrari 355 (not 360), original Hyundai Coupe, Peugeot 406, BMW 5-series, Audi A3
Old 16 May 2002, 08:42 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yawn this is such old news beat ya!
I'm da man but shud still b interesting how she looks.........
Si
Old 16 May 2002, 08:45 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Subaru, when designing the car didn't want a ***** out in yer face style that would date very quickly. They wanted the car to grow old slowly, and I think it has. The car will still look fresh in 2 years time. I happen to hate the Audi TT now but I absolutely loved it when it first appeared.

Yorkie
Old 16 May 2002, 08:50 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I think the TT-style is OK, but there are so many of them about. But I think what you're saying certainly applies to the New Beetle, and is also one of the reasons I refuse to buy the missus a New Mini (will it look so cute in three years' time?).

Look how BMW got it right with the E36 3-series (they've been scared to change it ever since) and Pug with the 406 (which still looks fresh). The bug-eye Scoob will always look 'awkward'. If they wanted to go that way, they should have made it so deliberately ugly that it was beautiful (Morgan Aero 8).

Saw a Jensen SV8 the other morning. Man, that is one ugly motor.
Old 16 May 2002, 09:07 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

At the end of the day Carl, what is "one's sows ear is another's silk purse". I am sure most people don't buy their Scooby for looks alone. Its the driving thats the attractive bit Besides, you can't see the "ugly"[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] front when you are sat behind the wheel.

Yorkie
Old 16 May 2002, 09:18 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Agreed. I don't think the old shape is much of a looker either, but it just doesn't look quite so 'awkward'. Outdated, yes, but awkward, no. As Evo once said, it's a selfish buy: for the person behind the wheel rather than for onlookers.
Old 16 May 2002, 11:35 PM
Scooby_Manchester
Scooby Regular

Why do people say the classic looks dated?.........I just don't get it.......is that their way of trying to convince themselves that they made the right choice buying a new model?

Looks depend on each individual.......the new model still looks awful in standard trim in my opinion but when modded it looks simply amazing(headlamp conversion and new spoiler)........but it easy to make the new model look good.........as most people have!

But looks do sell cars!
Old 17 May 2002, 12:01 AM
DeerHunter
Scooby Regular

Talking

have to agree with most comments -

The new shape looks **** without headlamp conversion + spoiler!

But with these 2 mods it looks the Boll@cks!

- still think i would have a P1 over the new shape.

As for the STI - bit unfair they are releasing 2 "better" versions! - how long has it been out?

It's starting to get like games consoles only 100 times more expensive.

You buy the best and just as you start getting the best stuff released for it a better one comes out!
Old 19 May 2002, 01:39 AM
ScottishMenace
Scooby Regular

Its a long debate guys but the acid test is drive an STI7 for a few days then step back into a classic shape and you will see what we are all on about. Oh and I am not just on about performance either.
Old 21 May 2002, 11:13 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

According to at least one dealer, the MY03 WRX will probably have a six speed box......