Sponsored by:

Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2013, 09:59 PM
Ryan-STi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mileage

Currently searching for a Blobeye Black STi, but wondered if there is any mileage related problems with them?

The Black ones are quite hard to come by at the minute, and one has taken my eye but its got 80k! Is this okay on a STi engine or is this pushing too much now? Seen quite a few blue ones with 40-50k on you see.
Old 31 January 2013, 10:08 PM
Arkynsei
Scooby Regular

All of the molested it would seem! Still looking for a blue one myself. Either too expensive or too modified.

I personally feel that 80k is buying a car that it won't be long until it's at 100k.. and when it comes to mileage, 100k is a pretty ugly number. Simply from a selling point of view.
Old 31 January 2013, 10:16 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

I don't think it should be an issue, goes on the car, having owned cars with High mileage that never had an issue, issue is that it's not the engine that can be at fault, it's all the suspension, breaks and other wear and tear items that tend to need fixing or updating, I would buy a sti with 80,000-100,000 if I budget that these area could need addressing. Would like to think a good number of sti owners look after their cars with regular services engine wise.
Old 31 January 2013, 10:22 PM
Ryan-STi
Scooby Regular

I too think the same as 80k, is near enough 100k soon and its not a nice number for re-sale point of view.

The car ive seen has new clutch, brakes, cambelt and full service with 80k so was wondering how this comes across on the Blobeye's, this will be my first Subaru so im a little un familiar with the common problems etc at the minute.
Old 31 January 2013, 10:47 PM
Donnie Brasco 46
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

80k is too higher mileage when it comes to selling the car after you've had it. As someone else said it'll be 100k and any car is well passed its best by then IMO.

Problem is that your letting the colour of the car be the most important thing ie you want a black one. You said yourself that you've seen plenty of blue ones with lower mileage. Black paint shows swirls etc and is generally hard work to keep really clean.

To me, the car is most important. What I mean is good mileage, history etc the colour is secondary. If I want a red car and find a good one, but also find a great blue one - I'll get the blue one - simple.

Take your time there are plenty of well looked after low mileage ones out there.
Old 31 January 2013, 11:02 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

i wouldnt let it put you off tbh, 80k miles your not going to see any problems with that engine if its been serviced regularly and looked after, i drove a 05 sti with 85k miles before i brought the one i have now and it drove just as good as my 45k one,

as you say about selling it on, 100k isnt a pretty number but what are the others going to be on when you eventually come to sell?

if you get an 05 plate with 80k its only covered 10k a year which is less than average now a days,
Old 31 January 2013, 11:10 PM
Ryan-STi
Scooby Regular

Well tbh.. im probably only going to be doing 5k a year, so it should last a while. Just wondered if there was any mileage related issues on the blobeyes?

Is there a buying guide available?
Old 31 January 2013, 11:11 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

What model are you going to be after? widetrack or pre
Old 31 January 2013, 11:21 PM
t444tch
Scooby Regular

Cars with low milage of an older age have just been weekend cars so they should be ok!.Have had my 04 sti now for over three years!56 on clock but time had lapsed quicker than milage so major service/belt needed.It's now on 108, belt change again due! 2011 replaced all discs/pads, coilovers because one shock was knocking.Track rod ends, diff/gear/engine oils, filters etc regularly etc.Two wheel bearings done, third one due! Currently running 357bhp/350 ftlb for past year and still getting between 25-32 mpg. I guess its a case of general maintanance to prolong its life! Then again some engines have let go a lot earlier but your mapper would be able to tell you if something was on its way out!
Old 31 January 2013, 11:22 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

ive had a search about and cant find a buyers guide, only what i read when i got mine, and thats just the common problem with the rear shocks knocking, make sure the car is straight bodywork wise hasnt had a prang, make sure you do a HPI check, If anywork has been done make sure its been done to a good standard not bodge if you get what i mean

the engine is one of the best uk spec, apparently the 2.5l suffers from melting pistons at any millage but you always hears about the horror stories not the 1's that are problem free
Old 31 January 2013, 11:31 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Mileage should be the third thing you consider when looking for a car, history and condition are more important. 80K on a modern well cared for engine is nothing.
Even low mileage abused cars let go whereas high mileage loved ones are a much safer bet.
Old 31 January 2013, 11:41 PM
Ryan-STi
Scooby Regular

I'm looking at the wide track model. I've searched to and can't find a buyers guide for the STi blob

Yeah, I think it should be okay with the miles by the sound of it then. It's full Subaru service history and recent parts changed to so saves me money! I believe condition, history is more important. Just wanted to check about the mileage due to it being a petrol turbo engine.

So main thing is rear knocking noise.

Any common spots on the car that rust?
Old 01 February 2013, 12:17 AM
Arkynsei
Scooby Regular

Scoobypedia is your friend! http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...ezaBuyingGuide
Old 01 February 2013, 01:21 AM
Dave-W-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STI-RYE
I'm looking at the wide track model. I've searched to and can't find a buyers guide for the STi blob

Yeah, I think it should be okay with the miles by the sound of it then. It's full Subaru service history and recent parts changed to so saves me money! I believe condition, history is more important. Just wanted to check about the mileage due to it being a petrol turbo engine.

So main thing is rear knocking noise.

Any common spots on the car that rust?
i have a black widetrack blob with about 85k miles on it i bought it standard at 75k with a full subaru history
and now 3 years later its 450bhp on standard internals
never had a engine issue but i have maintained it regardless of cost
rear shocks started to knock which i replaced with coilovers apart from this i have had no other issues (touch wood)
as said earlier dont let 80k on the clock put you off if the car has been well looked after
Old 01 February 2013, 01:42 AM
irondrew
Scooby Regular

50k not much history

80k full history and well maintained...

I know which I would go for........ :-D
Old 02 February 2013, 11:11 PM
zenith
Scooby Regular

Bought my 03 Black STI last september which had 80K on the clock. In a similar situation I didn't want a blue one and I was weary of getting a car with 80K+ on the clock, but having seen the service history and the condition it was in I wasn't worried. 80K over 10 years is less than average mileage too remember.

So far so good for me, the only issues I'm dealing with are the big 90k service and all the brakes needed replacing, but that's going to happen sooner or later anyway.

No heard any knocking from the shocks yet, touch wood.

Don't let high mileage put you off if the car has been well looked after.
Old 02 February 2013, 11:18 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You think blacks hard to find try finding a white one

There was a black one for sale on here but it might be being broken now.
Old 02 February 2013, 11:23 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by g7prs
You think blacks hard to find try finding a white one

There was a black one for sale on here but it might be being broken now.
i started hunting for a white 1 and in the end said F this and gave up haha blue it was
Old 02 February 2013, 11:26 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan-
i started hunting for a white 1 and in the end said F this and gave up haha blue it was
I was just lucky and acted quickly.
Old 02 February 2013, 11:35 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by g7prs
I was just lucky and acted quickly.
you was! not even the police got white ones
Old 03 February 2013, 08:18 AM
Blocks85
Scooby Regular

I have a black blob sti with 82k on it, which i use a lot for track days/daily car. I've been through most of the car generally for maintanence and its perfect and lot due to the previous owner and full Subaru history which has meant bolts, fixings come off so easy and had no trouble with anything.
On the other hand, a friend of mine has a low mileage 04 wr1 and where there has been not much done in its life, removing parts such as calliper bolts, bleed nipples and generall fixings has been a joke, must have been to lack of maintanence etc.
but this has highlighted in my eyes a car with higher mileage, parts replaced with receipts to prove could be a better car than a low mileage car etc.
I know of a 2001 baby blue evo 6 by me sat up its whole life, it's got 12k on the clock but the scary thing is its only had one service in its life. It's mint on the outside apart from failed paint but my god, how would that underaneath, engine due to only having 1 service in 12 years??.
It's a tough one with cars and mileage.
just my thoughts bud.
Cheers Chris
Old 03 February 2013, 10:28 AM
Ryan-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arkynsei
Cheers buddy

Originally Posted by Dave-W-
i have a black widetrack blob with about 85k miles on it i bought it standard at 75k with a full subaru history
and now 3 years later its 450bhp on standard internals
never had a engine issue but i have maintained it regardless of cost
rear shocks started to knock which i replaced with coilovers apart from this i have had no other issues (touch wood)
as said earlier dont let 80k on the clock put you off if the car has been well looked after
Thanks buddy

Originally Posted by zenith
Bought my 03 Black STI last september which had 80K on the clock. In a similar situation I didn't want a blue one and I was weary of getting a car with 80K+ on the clock, but having seen the service history and the condition it was in I wasn't worried. 80K over 10 years is less than average mileage too remember.

So far so good for me, the only issues I'm dealing with are the big 90k service and all the brakes needed replacing, but that's going to happen sooner or later anyway.

No heard any knocking from the shocks yet, touch wood.

Don't let high mileage put you off if the car has been well looked after.
What is the 90k service entail?