Sponsored by:

Rip-Off Britain...

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2002, 05:01 PM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Now I dont mind any respectable person or business making a profit - after all, if they dont make profits, they arent around long to sell us all some more bits for our cars. But I do get annoyed when companies take the p***!

Without mentioning any names, a well known supplier of aftermarket bits is charging £350 for an item that costs only $295 USD from a similar (aftermarket parts retailer) company in the USA.

OK, so there is shipping involved which aint cheap. But when you are buying in bulk (50 units plus???) you sure as hell aint spending $295 on each item. Trade price is probably nearer $100 - $150 USD (100 quid or less to us Brits)

By my reckoning thats nearly 200% profit per item sold (less carriage)!

What do you lot think? Are we being ripped off in the UK?
Mak.
Old 15 May 2002, 05:10 PM
Adam_K
Scooby Regular

do we ever NOT get ripped off here??
Old 15 May 2002, 05:24 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Depends what the product is, but if it's like most tuning products and is branded, ie Apexi, HKS, I can assure you there is nowhere near 100% profit in it.

In the UK people do tend to pay more.

You say it's a rip off - but it's companies trying to make money - anyone in their chosen profession tries to make money if they're selling things - the more profitable they are the better service and facilities they generally offer.

Prices get driven down all the time and for companies to compete, profit is slashed until theres nothing left, if theres nothing left the company ceases trading - is that simple.

Old 15 May 2002, 06:14 PM
PopeyeP1
Scooby Regular

Wink

Frankly i think we get undercharged here compared to our Yankee chums. Other day I went to a tyrehouse(to get some tyres of course ahahahah). After telling the boss I had a Sport and wanted some decent tyres on my machine, he told me he could sort me out a deal. Got some F1 eagles for 220 quid each!!!! How good is that?? He even gave me the cash in hand wink and let me off twenty pounds!!!!!!! Anyway Martin(alias the Birdman) has defintely deserved a place in my Mobile address book! Any of you guys looking for some pukka tyres at low cost, then don't hesitate to give us a shout. Remember don't settle for cheaper imitations, it ain't worth it if you drive you're car to the limit.
anyway am off to meet Rods at KFC. Pops
Old 15 May 2002, 07:46 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

edited because I didn't realise who I was replying to

[Edited by NotoriousREV - 5/15/2002 7:47:43 PM]
Old 15 May 2002, 08:41 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Supply and Demand drives prices - simple really, if you and others dont think something is worth the asking price you dont buy, they dont sell - and adjust their pricing in your favour

HOWEVER, if people buy at the asking price then thats the price at which it will stay - whatever you may think about it

Take the P1, in my opinion, the most overpriced Impreza ever offered for sale - HOWEVER, eventually, most got sold at or around the price I found ludicrous for a 2 door saloon!! So? was it overpriced or not?? open to debate!!

So, the UK is a rip-off because we allow it to be!!!!!

Pete
Old 15 May 2002, 08:46 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Talking

Pete the P1 is overpriced, most things in the UK are overpriced.

I rarely get anything at the full asking price, always look for bargains or go for the blag

Still, I won't have to put up with Rip Off Britain for much longer
Old 15 May 2002, 09:07 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Of course the P1 was over-priced, but the reason it sold was that either a) people have more money then sense or b) they're too stupid too realise it's not worth the money

God, just look at the price of a new MAF - £300 from IM, when you can buy the sensor for $45 in the US (or 90€ in Greece)

If people aren't willing to pay a price, whatever it is, it won't sell and they'll have to bring the price down - take the XBox as an example

Stefan
Old 15 May 2002, 10:43 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

PopeyeP1

FYI tyres are around 100-120% mark up. So don't be surprised. My advice to anyone wanting tyres is to shop around like car insurace "They said they'll do 4 for £x"

Richard
Old 15 May 2002, 11:25 PM
PopeyeP1
Scooby Regular

Hey dude, I wasn't surprised. 800 quid for 4 tyres is a top price. Last tyre place I went I paid 1400 pounds for 4 Falcons. Thought that was a bit expensive! Its Great Britain isn't it!!
Old 16 May 2002, 12:43 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Don't assume suppliers always work on a level playing field, particularly when comparing with oversea's vendors.

Prices will vary dependant on a number of things such as:

- cost price to the supplier
- shipping costs
- volume of sales
- competition pressures
- margin required for business to remain viable
- what the market will pay
etc

We do seem to pay too much in the UK (generally speaking) but that does not necessarily mean that your UK supplier is achieving 200% margin

Speaking from experience, many products have to be sold at very low margin in order to remain competitive.

Rich