ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling a car to oversea buyer

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2013, 10:20 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling a car to oversea buyer

I have my Kit car for sale and have been contacted by a "keen" oversea buyer from Italy.

He has requested copy documents to be scanned and emailed to him such as:

A V5C UK Registration certificate, which includes a V5C/4 (notification for permenant export)

A V948 Registration Authorisation Certificate
Vechicle Registration Mark (number plate)

Single Vehicle Inspection Certificate

All passed and current MOT certificates

All original Receipts for the purchase of the original Kit.

I have already said I was not keen to do this due to personal info contained and declined to do so, due to Scams I have read and heard of.

Am I being over cautious?

Si
Old 09 January 2013, 10:40 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure how it works tbh but I would also feel a bit dubious about it if it was me in the same position, perhaps that's how it works and that's what happens but because we have never dealt with things like this before are being a little cautious, better to air on the safe side to start me thinks and get the correct facts than be burnt

If he wants the relevant details for the car instruct him to visit the dvla sight, I'm sure you can pay something like £5 for information on a vehicle, He could get all his clarification as to the legality of it there, I'm not sure if it gives him your address but at least he won't have copy documents for the car you have scanned, just a thought

Last edited by Infected by sti; 09 January 2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09 January 2013, 10:44 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I wouldn't, give him the main details and ask him to do other checks if he wishes but wouldn't copy all important info.
If he's that serious, he will come down with cash and can see docs in detail then.
Old 09 January 2013, 11:29 PM
LVC
Scooby Regular

I'm an "overseas buyer" (living in France and bought my WRX from UK before Xmas) - I think he'll have enormous problems getting a kit car registered in Italy - I know it's a nightmare over here even on Caterhams (which have most of the european conformity papers) and especially if it was a self-build.

I'd be tempted to send him a copy of the V5 with your address blanked out and a copy of the current MOT.

If he's serious he'll get an "expert" to come and inspect the car at which time you can show the expert all the papers he needs.

I did the same ... Tim Farmer inspected the WRX before I came over to buy it - all I needed was the reg. number for my French insurance.

But I reiterate that I think he'll have a nightmare getting it registered in Italy if their laws are anything like the French ones.

Which kit is it? I built a Dutton Phaeton S3 when I was 17 - never again, lol

Last edited by LVC; 09 January 2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09 January 2013, 11:32 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LVC
I'm an "overseas buyer" (living in France and bought my WRX from UK before Xmas) - I think he'll have enormous problems getting a kit car registered in Italy - I know it's a nightmare over here even on Caterhams (which have most of the european conformity papers) and especially if it was a self-build.

I'd be tempted to send him a copy of the V5 with your address blanked out and a copy of the current MOT.

If he's serious he'll get an "expert" to come and inspect the car at which time you can show the expert all the papers he needs.

I did the same ... Tim Farmer inspected the WRX before I came over to buy it - all I needed was the reg. number for my French insurance.

But I reiterate that I think he'll have a nightmare getting it registered in Italy if their laws are anything like the French ones.

What kit is it? I built a Dutton Phaeton S3 when I was 17 - never again, lol
GBS or Robinhood as they were previously known.

Thanks for the input so far people!

Si

Last edited by simb 2; 10 January 2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10 January 2013, 09:16 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

What's your fear?

1. They clone your vehicle and use the copy documents to sell it.
2. Someone steals the car and has all the documentation to make it easier to sell on.
3. ?

I wouldn't worry about 1. If you scan with the address blanked out and a separate piece of paper with "COPY" laid over the top then 2 becomes a lot more difficult.

Does the e-mail address look legit? If not, ask for a work e-mail xx@yy.it

Say that you would rather post and get a physical address.
Old 10 January 2013, 09:36 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Mate sold his 22b overseas (since been found at the back of a workshop needing a rebuild, but thats a seperate story), all was fine.

So its not always a scam
Old 10 January 2013, 09:50 AM
GotBoost?
Scooby Regular

yeah, i think so too. i mean, just leave the address line blank or whatever. he's probably even more sceptical as he doesnt want to fly in from ITA to find out the car was stolen or whatever.
Old 10 January 2013, 10:37 AM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

It sounds like he's being cautious as it's a long way to come.

Some of the info is not a problem, But other stuff I would send but edit, if he wants to see the V5, just send him a copy of the top part of the front cover with Reg number on it, this shows you have it but doesn't show anything else.

I had to supply the Chassis number and reg number in advance to the guy that bought my Type R, He needed this for his insurance in Sweden, Different rules for different countries.

Have you spoken on the telephone to this guy??
Old 10 January 2013, 01:31 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007
It sounds like he's being cautious as it's a long way to come.

Some of the info is not a problem, But other stuff I would send but edit, if he wants to see the V5, just send him a copy of the top part of the front cover with Reg number on it, this shows you have it but doesn't show anything else.

I had to supply the Chassis number and reg number in advance to the guy that bought my Type R, He needed this for his insurance in Sweden, Different rules for different countries.

Have you spoken on the telephone to this guy??
Not yet Dan, will do. It's when he said he planned to drive it back to Italy which got the alarm bells ringing. Not exactly a long haul car!

Si
Old 10 January 2013, 01:37 PM
LVC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simb 2
Not yet Dan, will do. It's when he said he planned to drive it back to Italy which got the alarm bells ringing. Not exactly a long haul car!

Si
I wouldn't worry about that you just need to go to Le Mans (just up the road from me) during the 24hr race and you'll see all types of cars from literally all over Europe that have driven to the event.

As long as it's after the snow has left France he'll be fine and will probably enjoy the experience - I racked up some serious mileage on my "cheapie Lotus 7 replica" with no level of comfort whatsoever.
Old 10 January 2013, 01:53 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LVC
I wouldn't worry about that you just need to go to Le Mans (just up the road from me) during the 24hr race and you'll see all types of cars from literally all over Europe that have driven to the event.

As long as it's after the snow has left France he'll be fine and will probably enjoy the experience - I racked up some serious mileage on my "cheapie Lotus 7 replica" with no level of comfort whatsoever.
True, if it was the summer months then more feasible than now. I picked it up from Leeds and drove it back March time and that was an experience!

Si
Old 10 January 2013, 02:07 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I've sold a Lotus Elise to Italy and an Impreza to Holland. Sounds like they are wanting to view all registration documents to guage the difficulty of importing. If your car has an sva cert iirc it's much easier to import in another country.
I insisted in being paid cash with supporting documentation such as passport as ID which I copied. Both were very smooth transactions. If you were asked to meet some swarthy character at the docks and accepted cheques or wires then you may have an issue ;-)
Old 10 January 2013, 02:17 PM
GotBoost?
Scooby Regular

honestly what's the matter? I'll do just the same thing when I buy my blobeye. I'll buy it in the UK, double-check the car's history is clean, all the certificates required for the import and registration are present and sound, and buy a one-way ticket.
Then test-drive, effect the online banking transaction on site (which should be on you account within 24 hrs) and drive the car home. After all, the ride home is part of the fun, isn't it?

I mean, hey, he's not trying to pull off some Nigerian cheque fraud scheme or whatever?!
Old 10 January 2013, 02:34 PM
_Viktor
Scooby Regular

As a Brit overseas.. iv done this a few times....

but as the buyer.. often Caterhams and once my WRX..
if you are at all worried about personal data, then get a post-it note and blank off the bits you dont want him to see... name, address VIN etc.

other than that I would also suspect that he is just looking at how hard it would be to get it registered...
as often a nice car can be spoiled by "built from parts some or all of which were not new" printed on the V5c

which makes it more difficult to register in some countries.

Vik
Old 10 January 2013, 02:37 PM
_Viktor
Scooby Regular

Robinhood.... the HEAVYWEIGHT of the 7'ing world...

Old 10 January 2013, 06:34 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _Viktor
Robinhood.... the HEAVYWEIGHT of the 7'ing world...

Good Kit car for the money
Old 10 January 2013, 10:45 PM
_Viktor
Scooby Regular

ummm.. may I just say I disagree.

in order

Caterham
Westfield
Fisher Fury (or most Sylva designs)
MK, and some limited other Locosts.
Robinhood

only ever seen 1 nice RH, and thats Dave Andrews Cosie.

Considering 2nd hand 7k can get you a Caterham, and 5 can get an older Westie.. not alot of room below that for budget builds

just my opinion.. all to be taken with large dose of salt.

Vik