Sponsored by:

Respray / repair colour mismatch help

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2013, 12:44 PM
521williams
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Respray / repair colour mismatch help

Don't really know where I stand on this one.. Basically someone scraped my drivers door back in September so claimed through other drivers insurance for repair work. I managed to get the whole side reprinted and paid extra for the front bumper aswell. The finish is faultless but the colour match has been bugging me ever since! You don't notice the side but the front bumper/bonnet/wing all show up a different shade in certain lights. I'm well aware metallic colours are hard to match and being a 1999 car the original paints worn... BUT, reading a post the other day got me thinking what if its been painted 95h mica blue instead of 52d? Have I left it to late to do anything and will the work still be on record? Any help please..
Old 08 January 2013, 12:46 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

you paid for a service, take it back. if the colour doesn;t match then they need to respray to make sure it does.
Old 08 January 2013, 12:48 PM
521williams
Scooby Regular

Even after 3 1/2 months? I only left it in the hope it might match as it gets worn!
Old 08 January 2013, 12:52 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

i'd take it back and se what they say, if the colour is obviously different then may accept they got it wrong.

shame you didnt go straight back them.
Old 08 January 2013, 01:04 PM
521williams
Scooby Regular

Will give them a ring in a minute.. Not holding my breath though! Your right I shouldn't of left it, just had in my head it was never going to be a good match due to the age but its doing my head in now!!
Old 08 January 2013, 01:10 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

yeah, its understandable. You assume they are right and being a layman it's a fade thing.

have to confess one of my old cars had the skirts resprayed, i didnt notice but a mate (sprayer himself lol) notices the metalic flecks in the painter were different, so took it back and they sorted it, but that was within a couple of days.
Old 08 January 2013, 01:36 PM
bugblue1
Scooby Regular

i had exactly same problem,got reversed into claimed on their insurance,went to a well known garage they sprayed it once i got it home & my dad came out & said why have they painted it a different colour which it was so complained they took it back eventually after the manager had taken me round every car in his car park saying look that don't match ect ect,so they resprayed the bumper got it back still different color, then had a couple of different assessors from my insurance giving me grief 1 saying its a import which it is not but what differents does that make,got so fed up with their attitude told them to shove it in the end.
so i would either take it back or ask for it to go to a garage of your choice.
Old 08 January 2013, 02:01 PM
521williams
Scooby Regular

Just got off the phone.. He reckons as the bumper is plastic it will never match perfect..? (Strange as it is from factory) and due to the age of car the paint will be faded. The paint is sent to the shop from chassis number etc etc.. The thing that gets me is the new paint looks duller and less purple than original paint! Either way I'm taking it up on wk end to find out my options! :-s
Old 08 January 2013, 02:08 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

before you take it back ask them to confirm what paint colour code was used. see if they did get it wrong.
Old 08 January 2013, 02:11 PM
521williams
Scooby Regular

I asked him that, it doesn't show on his system as it was mixed and sent from whoever using chassis number? Looking at a pic I found from a thread on here I'm 90% sure they've used 95h..
Old 08 January 2013, 02:29 PM
bugblue1
Scooby Regular

sounds like you are getting told same crap as id did, well all i can say is it match before the **** hit me,& thats how i want it put back.
Old 08 January 2013, 02:34 PM
521williams
Scooby Regular

Was just saying the exact same thing to my old dear.. But to be fair I was expecting him to say the work was done last year so jog on! Ill take it up and see what they think of it..
Old 08 January 2013, 03:08 PM
carlstoke63
Scooby Regular

Default Paint

Hi I had a blue scoob I sprayed the bumper that was spot on then I sprayed the wing where some coont scratched it and that didn't match but used the same colour unless it's somert do with the primer I don't kno but mine was import
Old 08 January 2013, 05:07 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Most of the time the bumpers do look a slightly different colour due to being plastic etc, however the bodyshop would of had someone out to match the colour of the car with the variant cards as theres normally a few different shades of the same colour. I find it unlikely that they buy the paint off just the paint code if theyre doing insurance repairs, we do insurance work at my place and it has to be immaculate or you end up with loads of agro from both the customer and insurance company if it goes that far.
Old 08 January 2013, 05:32 PM
bugblue1
Scooby Regular

i tell ya the agro i had with my bumper you wouldnt believe how i was treated,i had an idiot who came out to look at it said yer i can see it different then went back & wrote a completely different report saying my car was an import & not one of the painted panels on my car matched he was even doing a childish voice down the phone at me thats how perfetic they were,did give him the chance to come & talk like that to my face you know what never heard from him.
I don't know if this had anything to do with an accident i was a passenger in,my mate got his car back, he had had it about a week we went out on a little trip after about hundred miles heard a bang as we were turning into a petrol station got out to look the o/s rear Tyre had a bracket which hadn't been put back on properly it had cut into the Tyre an inch & a square inch of Tyre was missing luckily my mate had run flats on i dred to think what could of happened,he called them up as we stood there to be told you'll be ok bring it back to show us.
Old 08 January 2013, 05:59 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

I did find when i painted my mica blue wagon wrx that there was an issue with the colour, even though we had the guy come out and match the paint to my car, i painted it the first time and the colour was too light in comparison to the rest of the car, but what i did do second time round was sprayed it with black base coat first then went over that with the mica blue and now its spot on. That was with standox paint iirc
Old 08 January 2013, 06:34 PM
521williams
Scooby Regular

I can't see them doing anything about it tbh but if I don't try I'll never find out! Maybe a blow over later this year will be my only option. Its a shame as its a nice fully serviced standard (ish) car.. Bad luck I guess!
Old 08 January 2013, 07:52 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it back, tell them you want paint properly matching. Just had mine back and the guy had it all properly matched and you cant tell between plastic/metal.
The first so called bodyshop that sprayed it painted it a shade off and it was obvious which is why i got a refund and got it done properly.
Old 08 January 2013, 11:39 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I good bodyshop will always make sure the paint matches before customer collect the car ........no if or buts about it !