Sponsored by:

Got a itch for evo9 FQ360

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2012, 01:31 AM
Rbon91
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got a itch for evo9 FQ360

Rite I know this is Scooby website but try be fair lads.
I'm currently running impreza blob sti type uk
Runnin 420bhp 390lbs with mileage on car only being 33k
Have got a itch to try out a fq369 evo has anyone ever had one? What they like compared to wide track blob? Running and servicing costs etc
Thanks Ryan
Old 31 December 2012, 03:21 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice cars and I'm Scooby through and through. I've driven an Evo V import as well as UK models VI and VIII but way more Scoobies. I would love to have a go in an Evo X FQ400.

I guess on paper they're easy to compare because they're four wheel drive 280bhp+ saloons with broadly similar performance but aside devastating point to point pace they're certainly different in feel.

My uncle gets all sorts coming through and had two Evos at one point, an entry level tuned to 400bhp (with totally stock internals apparently) and an MR360. Both felt very quick against my 380bhp Spec D that I was running at the time and I would imagine quicker in all aspects. I can't really say I drove them hard, more that I took them out for half an hour or so from cold and gave them a bit of juice on a couple of roads I know well.

The Evo(s) definitely felt tighter and the steering is much sharper than any stock Impreza I've driven. However they're also noisier, firmer riding and crash over rough surfaces, definitely not cars for carrying passengers in comfort! That's directly comparing to a Spec D which I thought rode disappointingly on RE070s. The engine noise is loud but quite disappointing, more of an intrusive and intense version of a regular car but with the familiarity of wooshes and pops on hard acceleration. Definitely no boxer noise or the burble of the classics and UK early newage motors. Fuel consumption was atrocious... think it was around 18mpg which is apparently normal.

I guess if you're running a tuned Impreza you'll be used to a more intense and regular servicing schedule which is what appears to be the norm for Evos. I can't comment on specific problems known to affect them (like the well described 2.5 ringland issue with Imprezas) but the general feeling I got off my uncle was that they are more fragile. I know that the tuned one required head gasket work that became apparent before it was sold but he kept the 360 for a bit and ran it over twelve months I think the only issue was a minor problem with the gearbox. He has said that he would run another as his own for a bit if he came across one again.
Old 31 December 2012, 03:23 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Sorry just to clarify, these were both Evo VIIIs. I was a teenager when I drove the V and VI and that was a long time ago lol.
Old 31 December 2012, 04:00 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a great car, but you'd be better of with a standard 9 running 400/400 will be cheaper and quicker.
Have had every Evo from 7 onwards however it's about the spec c's if you ask me!

And the CS400

You up late like me to hey
Old 31 December 2012, 10:18 AM
andy00v7
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by juggers
It's a great car, but you'd be better of with a standard 9 running 400/400 will be cheaper and quicker.
Have had every Evo from 7 onwards however it's about the spec c's if you ask me!

And the CS400

Hi when you say a standard 9 which model are you talking about ? Do 300 bhp spec models use the same turbos as the 360 bhp spec cars ?

Andy
Old 31 December 2012, 10:30 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by andy00v7
Hi when you say a standard 9 which model are you talking about ? Do 300 bhp spec models use the same turbos as the 360 bhp spec cars ?

Andy
Yes same turbo just a remap and exhaust/sports cat.
Most you can get is 380bhp/380ltb. Everyone claims 400/400 but believe me thats not the case.
Old 31 December 2012, 11:14 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a back to back test in 2005 for a magazine feature (Evo Mag Greece) over here in the UK, we tested an Evo 9 320 v my MY03 Spec C (standard).

The first thing you note about the evo is the front seats, if you have anything over a 32 inch waist then you will find them "snug", the car looks good (this one we had picked up from Mitsubishi Headquarters was blue), the recaro interior is nice but its still plasticy to look at.
Performance of the 320 compared to my Spec C was minimal, if anything the Spec C had the edge, a 360 will probably have the edge on a standard Spec C though but it was the handling where it all became aparent.
The RE070's came into their own v the Yoko's, it was night and day in this department, the evo would get tail happy very quickly with heat into those tyres but the Bridgestones just got better, trying to get the tail out on the evo was very easy, well until it spun that is but the Spec C started out reasonable and just then refused to get any worse, it just dug its heals in and gripped like a bitch
One of the biggest misses we had is when the guy made a small mistake on the corner of the airfield and half spun the car, I was on the inside and needed to go tighter which wasnt a problem with the subaru
Which car felt better?
Hard really but the Spec C felt more in contact with the road, you just got so much feeling back through the steering, the evo was definately better than a UK car for feel, nearly but not quite as good as the Subaru though
I dont think you will go far wrong with one (they are twin scroll) BUT you have to find it comfortable and it does feel like it does everything for you (oh and if they have yoko's fitted, bin them).

Tony

Trending Topics

Old 31 December 2012, 11:47 AM
Rbon91
Scooby Regular

Thanks.
Didn't know the evo 9 were twin scroll turbos.
I've found a nice one not to far away only 12k from new not bad price either.... Just decision to make tho as I love my wide track blob sti
Old 31 December 2012, 11:48 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Yeah my body clock goes all over the place during holidays... no rest for the wicked among us!

I didn't know you'd run so many Evos they're great cars. I'm sure you'd agree that on most of the roads with bends in the UK nothing with four wheels would keep up with either an Evo or a Scooby. And I mean anything!

I can see why you prefer the JDM Subarus because they have that much more aggressive feel. I'd say the power delivery on the JDM twin scrolls is similar to that of the Evos but only as someone who has driven JDM cars and Evos a handful of times.

However I would choose a JDM car like an R205 every day over an Evo from what I've experienced because they still have that Subaru "character" that I think the Evos lack. I may be misguided in my thoughts here but I think it is because most Subarus have been designed as road-going cars (with maybe a couple of exceptions) and Evos have been designed to simply get from point A to point B as quickly as possible out of the box.

My Hawkeye felt very soft in comparison and the power delivery lazier going straight back into it from an MR360... but I did then drive two and a half hours to Blackpool and was glad for the Scoob Having said that I never thought my Hawkeye was as good as my remapped Blobeye DCCD PPP (my uncle actually went back to a blob after running his Evos and is now looking for another blob after letting that one go too). Do think hard before getting rid of a blob as I can think of five people I know who went back to one after supposedly moving onto bigger and better things!

Haha Imy As great as I think my CS400 is I'm not sure it would satisfy someone with an Evo-esque philosophy, at least not in stock tune. The power delivery comes in wallops and without lowering the adjustable dampers and stiffening it a bit does have a soft feel by comparison especially with "comfort" Michelin PS3s on. Easily sorted to suit though
Old 31 December 2012, 12:04 PM
wrx271
Scooby Regular

best looking evo but thats it i dont get why people say there the better car over an impreza

evo 6 speed box crap to use crap for power subaru 6 speed brilliant to use handles very good power

evo ayc 50/50 it will brake just as and when subaru diffs hmmm again better people rave about the evo and ayc but yet all want to do away with it for the rs setup so why buy an evo

evo 9 engine good engine very tuneable although most will run 400 anything more wants rods etc dont see that with a 2.0sti lump now do we.

interior basic seats are ok but again either to small for most and they brake.

so apart from the more exclusive evo whats the point

and ive had evo 5,6,and 8
ive also had subaru 94 wrx p1 v4sti (which was knackerd cheers max) and now a 04 sti all have been better out the box than all the above evos

keep your impreza m8

or go for a evo 9 gt mr or rs stay away from the 6 speed you will hate it
Old 31 December 2012, 12:41 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
Yeah my body clock goes all over the place during holidays... no rest for the wicked among us!

I didn't know you'd run so many Evos they're great cars. I'm sure you'd agree that on most of the roads with bends in the UK nothing with four wheels would keep up with either an Evo or a Scooby. And I mean anything!

I can see why you prefer the JDM Subarus because they have that much more aggressive feel. I'd say the power delivery on the JDM twin scrolls is similar to that of the Evos but only as someone who has driven JDM cars and Evos a handful of times.

However I would choose a JDM car like an R205 every day over an Evo from what I've experienced because they still have that Subaru "character" that I think the Evos lack. I may be misguided in my thoughts here but I think it is because most Subarus have been designed as road-going cars (with maybe a couple of exceptions) and Evos have been designed to simply get from point A to point B as quickly as possible out of the box.

My Hawkeye felt very soft in comparison and the power delivery lazier going straight back into it from an MR360... but I did then drive two and a half hours to Blackpool and was glad for the Scoob Having said that I never thought my Hawkeye was as good as my remapped Blobeye DCCD PPP (my uncle actually went back to a blob after running his Evos and is now looking for another blob after letting that one go too). Do think hard before getting rid of a blob as I can think of five people I know who went back to one after supposedly moving onto bigger and better things!

Haha Imy As great as I think my CS400 is I'm not sure it would satisfy someone with an Evo-esque philosophy, at least not in stock tune. The power delivery comes in wallops and without lowering the adjustable dampers and stiffening it a bit does have a soft feel by comparison especially with "comfort" Michelin PS3s on. Easily sorted to suit though
You hit the nail on the head
Nothing like a road going rally rep, I've had my fair share of German to B7 RS4 E92 M3, CLS63 AMG, R8 and a 997 turbo cab I always find myself back in a Subaru.

I put the R205 up as I thought I'd get a 997 gen 2 turbo, but I know I'll end up back in another Subaru so thought I'd save the hassle and some moneys!
Old 31 December 2012, 01:32 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

You hit the nail on the head
Nothing like a road going rally rep, I've had my fair share of German to B7 RS4 E92 M3, CLS63 AMG, R8 and a 997 turbo cab I always find myself back in a Subaru.

I put the R205 up as I thought I'd get a 997 gen 2 turbo, but I know I'll end up back in another Subaru so thought I'd save the hassle and some moneys!
Yeah it was me who texted you about six weeks ago telling you to pull the advert on your R205 as you'd regret it! You'd only end up getting frustrated and wanting it back, or an S206 of course

A very well known importer and tuner of Imprezas told me when I took one of his type 20s for a test drive that in his opinion none of the GTRs he's tuned would ever keep up with a well sorted Impreza on a British B road... which is what I said after driving one in 2008! A lot of cars may be faster in a straight line or have more mechanical grip but very little else has that blend of performance.
Old 31 December 2012, 01:34 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

(Apart from an Evo, obviously)
Old 31 December 2012, 01:38 PM
Rbon91
Scooby Regular

Might just do forged engine and twinscroll turbo change next winter
Old 31 December 2012, 02:04 PM
mike74
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Have you got any insurance quotes yet?

When I was trying to decide between an Evo or Impreza I was finding insurance for an Evo was twice the price of an Impreza with equivalent year/power/value.
Old 31 December 2012, 02:55 PM
Rbon91
Scooby Regular

No not looked yet think I'm going to stick with blob and do twinscroll conversion with forged engine next year now
Old 31 December 2012, 03:15 PM
overboostUK
Scooby Regular

Stick with the Impreza and spend a few extra pennies on that... Very similar cars for everyday use, which is probably what it will get used for the most, and the scooby's few short comings can be rectified easily with uprated parts.
Old 31 December 2012, 03:25 PM
Rbon91
Scooby Regular

Yeah car is a weekend treat for me so don't drive it much anyway only done 4k in a year in it..
Old 31 December 2012, 03:42 PM
overboostUK
Scooby Regular

I think unless it was a tuned EVO, it would feel like a step backwards over the Impreza you've got now... Just do a few more bits to yours and you'll probably be much happier, better to stick with what you know is a good car sometimes then risk a change...
Old 31 December 2012, 03:48 PM
Rbon91
Scooby Regular

Yehh that's what I'm thinking mate
Just need to work out price for twinscroll conversion now..
Plans are to do:
Twinscroll conversion with 550bhp turbo
Bc coilovers
Polybush car
Anti lift kits

Cars spec atm is
Md321t
K&N typhoon
650cc injectors
Exedy organic clutch
Performance headers
Fully deccatted blitz nur spec r exhaust
Walbour fuel pump
Perrin short shift
Alloy radiator
Tein springs
So happy atm but as always wanting more power
Old 31 December 2012, 04:54 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rbon91
Might just do forged engine and twinscroll turbo change next winter
How exactly is this done? I would imagine this is a lot of work? Would it not be better to try and source a twin scroll engine?

If one did convert a single scroll to twin scroll surely it would not be advisable before forging the engine as a twin scroll revs higher?
Old 31 December 2012, 06:32 PM
YE5 1 SUB
Scooby Regular

we have both evo and subaru running approx 350 each, both fantastic cars and they do have there own personalitys,but you,ll like it and you wont be disapionted

but like whats allready been said get a std 9 and remap it
the fq mr does have a slightly bigger turbo and higher spec cams but the std 9 will see 380 /380 allday long.
Old 01 January 2013, 11:21 AM
Herbie.
Scooby Regular

I had an Evo 8 MR and a Classic Impreza both running 400bhp. The Classic felt much faster, probably down to the linear power delivery of the Evo. However the Evo felt a lot sharper and drove like it was on rails!
Im on the lookout for another Evo for a track car as I dont want to track my nice Blob STI :-)
Old 01 January 2013, 11:57 AM
nyscooby
Scooby Regular

mike74 got it spot on. i was quoted over 2k f
or an V8 evo.

Car values are higher on the evos for no sensible reason....

Ive had both before and i dont care less for comparison.. both fast and fun to drive.
Old 01 January 2013, 03:29 PM
wrx271
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rbon91
Yehh that's what I'm thinking mate
Just need to work out price for twinscroll conversion now..
Plans are to do:
Twinscroll conversion with 550bhp turbo
Bc coilovers
Polybush car
Anti lift kits

Cars spec atm is
Md321t
K&N typhoon
650cc injectors
Exedy organic clutch
Performance headers
Fully deccatted blitz nur spec r exhaust
Walbour fuel pump
Perrin short shift
Alloy radiator
Tein springs
So happy atm but as always wanting more power
What power are you running is that turbo billet how does it feel on the road pick up etc

Sorry just re read your first post on power still how does it feel and compared to standard if you had the car in standard form

Dave

Last edited by wrx271; 01 January 2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01 January 2013, 04:06 PM
Rbon91
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx271
What power are you running is that turbo billet how does it feel on the road pick up etc

Sorry just re read your first post on power still how does it feel and compared to standard if you had the car in standard form

Dave
Bought car completely standard In Febuary 2012.. And done all mods since then... Completely different car to drive.. Amazing the difference and no turbo not billet mate... Was hard finding a good widetrack with low milage on but was worth the wait.
These few from when I bought it to now

This is it now
Just done detangoed headlights aswell