Sponsored by:

Tyres vs cost little input pls

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2012, 09:40 PM
bigbruiseral
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyres vs cost little input pls

I run bridgestone 50A all round that came with car and i have 1 slow puncture i found out today, the 50A is £165 fitted but I'm selling the car in 2 months due to family commitment's and dont want to cripple myself this time of year will a cheap(er) brand and changing out 1 tyre be noticeable as my daily commute?

cheers lads
Old 29 December 2012, 09:45 PM
saints_forever
Scooby Regular

Take it to a tyre fitter and see if they can repair the puncture, cost me £16 to sort mine before and lasted until I had to change
Old 29 December 2012, 09:53 PM
bigbruiseral
Scooby Regular

thanks need the car for work cant afford them to say no need tyre as they need to order them in around here, also my kids are in the car i just wouldt feel safe
Old 29 December 2012, 09:59 PM
IggyRB320
Scooby Regular

I had a set of Goodyear Eagle f1 asymmetrics on the RB for only a couple of weeks & picked up a bolt, right in the middle of the tread.
I repaired it & it lasted maybe 8k+ miles of spirited driving, without an issue!!
Old 29 December 2012, 10:12 PM
saints_forever
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigbruiseral
thanks need the car for work cant afford them to say no need tyre as they need to order them in around here, also my kids are in the car i just wouldt feel safe
The repairs they do are brilliant, and if its too big they will refuse to do it anyway. It would last way beyond the length of time that you are looking to own the car and completely seals the gap. At least for resale you would also have an all round set still, some fussy person would probably point that out as a bartering tool.
Old 29 December 2012, 10:40 PM
bigbruiseral
Scooby Regular

fair input, yeah but i dont have to time to take it the risk ill lose that in pay idea on the original question please?
Old 29 December 2012, 10:43 PM
big_wasa
Scooby Regular

I would sooner buy a 4wd car with quality matching tyres and one well done puncture repair than odd tyres.

If its not 100% safe to repair they wont do it.
Old 29 December 2012, 11:26 PM
romford-boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by big_wasa
I would sooner buy a 4wd car with quality matching tyres and one well done puncture repair than odd tyres.

Agreed

First thing I looked at was the tyres, if it had mismatching tyres I would have questioned what else was skimped on the car and offered a lower price.

Any chance of getting a mate to drop you off at work while the tyre is being repaired?
Old 30 December 2012, 12:20 AM
saints_forever
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by romford-boy
Any chance of getting a mate to drop you off at work while the tyre is being repaired?
Or simply use a mobile tyre fitter if he can't find 15 mins for a repair (though slightly confused where the time will be found to fit a tyre then??), I'm sure someone local will be able to come out and quote. That way they can come to your place of work so you won't lose out on any wages and your'll be saving money on buying a new tyre
Old 30 December 2012, 07:48 AM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

As long as the screw/nail etc isnt in the sidewall it can be repaired, it takes me about as much time to repair a puncture as it would to swap a tyre. Just get the puncture done mate, they are a perfectly safe repair.
Old 30 December 2012, 09:47 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbruiseral
fair input, yeah but i dont have to time to take it the risk ill lose that in pay idea on the original question please?
24hrs in a day and there's 7 of those every week - do you really work that much?
If you haven't got time for a puncture repair then you haven't got time to get the tyre swapped either!
Old 30 December 2012, 10:09 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
24hrs in a day and there's 7 of those every week - do you really work that much?
If you haven't got time for a puncture repair then you haven't got time to get the tyre swapped either!
This.

I recently got a spate of nails in the rear drivers tyre. Running Bridgestone RE050's iirc. All around 4-5mm and the punctured one was unrepairable. M444GY on here sorted me out with a part worn Michelin for next to nowt with a similar tread pattern and tread depth. It's been absolutely fine, I have still good tyres all round and didn't need to buy £250 of new Bridgestone rear tyres (going to go Falken eventually anyway).

£15, get it repaired if you can or scour eBay etc for the same tyre with similar tread depth.
Old 31 December 2012, 12:01 PM
bigbruiseral
Scooby Regular

limped to the garage the tyre was shot, they did show and cord was all over , new tyre it is they a least matched the internet price for me with free fitting