Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance on UK spec Euro Imports

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2002, 01:38 PM
TurboBoost
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I gather Jap import STis and the like are very expensive to insure, but how about UK Spec Impreza Turbos that were bought in through Holland/Belgium etc.
Obviously they are a bit cheaper to buy, and have the added bonus that there are a few in Sonic blue floating around. So what are the downsides?
Old 14 May 2002, 01:39 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
insurance is the same as a uk car.
Old 14 May 2002, 01:47 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cars would have had a 1 year warranty (now 2 year) rather than the 3 years that IM provide. They came with no alarm so you would have to make sure that they have had a decent alarm fitted and also, there is obviously no Subaru Assistance (roadside recovery) included. One other thing, Subaru dealers will not take an EU import in part exchange.

That's about it. Plus side is obviously save thousands of pounds over new and less depriciation, but buying second hand, you will save perhaps £1000-2000 off the UK 2nd hand price...

Matt
Old 14 May 2002, 01:53 PM
TurboBoost
Scooby Regular

Subaru dealers won't take as PX? Not even for rock bottom price?
Thats a bit spiteful. What about servicing - will they double their hourly rate or just refuse you?

Doing the sums it seems some '99 import owners will have only lost about 3 or 4 grand in 3 years in depreciation. Which is excellent. I should have got a big loan out back then...
Old 14 May 2002, 02:01 PM
Scaramanga
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've got a Belgian Import (to match the Belgian wife) and Insurance exactly the same (when ins companies ask if it is an import they mean "is it full UK spec" as long as you can answer yes to this, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

True you'll save thousands on new, but you will have to pay labour on the first oil services (where UK customers get labour free) it's only 100 quid though. You need to ensure it has a Cat1 alarm or you won't get it insured by anyone! You may not get the extra underseal that the UK cars get (again about 100 quid to do at a later date). Warranty is a bit of a cloudy issue as you need to be registered in the country you bought it from after the first year and also need to make sure that IM have you on the UK database for the first year. Servicing intervals need to be adhered to from the country of origin. This means that for me I need to stick to the 7.5K intervals and not move to the 10K intervals that the UK cars have.

Matt,
UK dealers will take Euro imports in part ex, I know cause I asked and got a price.

For me it was a no-brainer as the car I wanted (exactly) was in stock.

Good luck
Simon

Old 14 May 2002, 02:06 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Well i have a dutch import, and i paid £11,000 (in the end) for my MY00 with 28k and full service history, which i think was a good deal.

Had no problems with servicing or insurance and when i had a HPI check done, it didn't come back as a import !
Old 14 May 2002, 05:04 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

OK, to be more specific, the two dealers I spoke to would not "buy" my Dutch import - whether or not they would have done as PX I suppose is another question.

Matt
Old 14 May 2002, 05:08 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

It depends which insurers you speak to as to whether they charge more for a parallel Euro UK-spec import.

My fiance just got a Toyota Yaris SR and she is insured thru Diamond. When I told them it was from Denmark they loaded 170 odd quid on the premium. I argued for about 1/2 hour with the underwriters but they basically said that that is their policy.

Dave
Old 15 May 2002, 11:43 AM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

I agree completely - it depends on the insurer. I got a totally standard WRX MY02 from Holland via Jamjar.

A number of insurers insisted on treating it like any other (jap) import, depsite extensive arguing and further enquiries. However Direct Line was one of the fewer companies who said it would make no difference as long as it as full UK spec.

1st service, had to pay for labour, which you wouldn't have to with a UK car (bill about 100 squids including oil). 7.5K service intervals.

MAKE SURE YOU REGISTER THE CAR WITH SUBARU IM!

Oh and I also got a three year warranty included with the car- new Subaru European policy.
Old 15 May 2002, 11:47 AM
Scaramanga
Scooby Regular

Smile

Matt,

sorry mate, re-read my post earlier and forgot to put the after my commments. Hope it didn't sound arsey?
Cheers,

Simon
Old 15 May 2002, 12:25 PM
Jon1T
Scooby Regular

I thought EU imports now came with 3 yr warranty? Well, that's what it says in the warranty book fot my belgian MY02!

Old 15 May 2002, 01:52 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Across the EU it's now 2 years but Belgium and Holland now provide a 3 year....

Matt