Sponsored by:

hawkeye backbox question

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2012, 05:21 PM
adamb87
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hawkeye backbox question

hi guys, i am looking to get a bit more of the scooby burble noise. now i have been looking at a back box but have read they dont do much to alter the noise. do they give anything off at all? oh by the way its a 2006 2.5 hawkeye. would probably help me telling you that haha
Old 07 December 2012, 05:48 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Ah, this is my field, as I tried 5 of them!!!. i had a 2006 STi and like you, wanted more burble. Initially I tried a prodrive back box, which made little difference. It suprised me a bit as on my 04 wrx it made a big difference and sounded great. I then changed it for a TSL group N back box, but again, not a massive difference. I then changed the resonated section (joins the back box) for a non res one and that made a big difference. So basically, change both pipes and you will get more burble(this doesnt touch the cats). It is difficult tho to get it to burble like the 2.0 does. The 2.5 just doesnt seem to. Eventually I had a full decat and a Vortex afterburner back box which was loud!. I then changed the vortex to a Racebox and I would say that was perfect with the decat.

Initially tho, change the resonated section and the back box and you should be far happier with the noise. The resonated section is the key to it. If the car is standard and you dont touch the cats, there is no need for a remap, but if you change the cats, then remember it will need a remap. On a side note, the remap was the best thing I even did. It was like the car suddenly woke up!!

Hope that helps
Old 07 December 2012, 06:09 PM
adamb87
Scooby Regular

yes thats a massive help. thanks mate.
Old 08 December 2012, 04:20 PM
Facian
Scooby Regular

This is good to read, as i've got a Prodrive rear box on my Hawk STI and i'm wanting a bit more noise so i've gone for a non-resonated centre section which i'm hoping to fit tomorrow! Hopefully i won't have to change the backbox as well, i'm not after a lot of noise but at the moment when you put your foot down you can't hear anything except the turbo spooling really!
Old 08 December 2012, 11:50 PM
Scooby Wagon Addict!
Scooby Regular

Hello.. Yes the Hawkeyes seem a lot more subdued.Was in a similar situation last month.
Have a Hawkeye WRX with PPP and wanted more burble but did not want to change the centre pipe 'cos I did that on my last Blobeye -
Blobeye story.. Prodrive backbox - Firstly I bought a non-resonated centre, yes , it did make it deeper but the drone at 60-70mph in the cabin was pretty bad! Annoyed the hell outa me! So then wasted more £ and bought a resonated centre..it was still deeper , good, and it got rid of 70-80% of the drone but it still annoyed me! Just stuck with it in the end.
So now onto my Hawkeye. I wanted more burble without wasting money on centre sections . Just went and bought a Ninja 2 backbox. It is excellent! Great scooby burble, not as deep as the blob with the new centre , but a great combination of outside and inside burble without and drone.
Plus u get a bung if u have an early start or want to remember what the car sounded standard!
Old 09 December 2012, 10:29 AM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Facian
This is good to read, as i've got a Prodrive rear box on my Hawk STI and i'm wanting a bit more noise so i've gone for a non-resonated centre section which i'm hoping to fit tomorrow! Hopefully i won't have to change the backbox as well, i'm not after a lot of noise but at the moment when you put your foot down you can't hear anything except the turbo spooling really!

That should work mate. Should sound nice with the prodrive back box.
Old 09 December 2012, 01:07 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be hear all day, think ive had 7or more on my car in the past few yrs, get bored easily and like to try them out,
Ive a 2007 hawk wrx sl.
All you need to do is change the centre pipe and backbox and u can get a nice sound without remapping it.u only need to remapp if u change the downpipe or 2nd decat pipe!!

Prodrive one is quiet on tickover and nice burble when on boost
Ninja 1 quiet on tickover but sounds great on boost.
Ninja 2 a bit louder than 1on tickerover and lovely burble when on boost.
H@S very loud on tickover and on boost
Afterburner vortex has 2of them now and my current one again,
Nice deep burble on tickover but not as loud as the H@S but louder than the ninjas, on boost it sounds superb on any subaru.
Custom made jobby, was just loud all the time no change in tone,lasted12hrs lol

Hope this helps and i have had all the above and more on mine
Old 10 December 2012, 08:47 PM
adamb87
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Facian
see this is the same as mine. no noise but it moves well. i have just been thinking about doing the centre section with the standard backbox. hows did yours sound after the centre pipe fitted ? also does anybody have a straight centre pipe lying around they are selling?
Old 10 December 2012, 08:54 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

I have a resonated center section and back box for sale nice and cheap wouldn't cost a lot for a garage to cut the resonated part out and weld a straight pipe in, that's what I did with mine anyway
Old 10 December 2012, 09:35 PM
adamb87
Scooby Regular

think i would rather just have something i could just whip off as i please and would be less hassle. thanks for the offer though bud :-)